• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. A

Wanted - UK Televideo TVI-912B terminal or similar

Hello all - I'm after a Televideo TVI-912B (or similar model) terminal for my IMS 8000 S100 computer. UK based. Preferably working but will also consider non - functional, so long as the CRT is intact. The Televideo TVI-912B was the terminal the original owner had for my IMS 8000. It came with...
  2. A

Vertical line on a Lear Siegler ADM-3A Terminal

Hi All - I'm thinking of buying said terminal. It appears functional - displays text on the screen etc. However - there is a vertical green line to the left of the text from top to bottom. I have some experience of repairing TVs from the 1970's/80's at a hobbyist level, as a teenager - its been...
  3. A

Repaired Intertec Superbrain - after 12 years of trying!!

Just wanted to share - today I fixed my Superbrain QD! After years of trying to fix a Superbrain motherboard I've had since I was about 13 (with a lot of JonB's help, we got it 95% fixed) - earlier today, I had a go at the board that actually came with my Superbrain - and somehow succeeded...
  4. A

Seagate ST-4038 MFM hard Drive Ressurection or Burial?

Drive 0 Recal Error - the main issue! Primary Hard Disk Failure - error displayed when the PC goes through its drive detect POST routine. Hello - I've been getting serious about an ST-4038 mfm drive that has been in my ownership for the last 14 years. Originally purchased off eBay from the...
  5. A

£1000 Superbrain - saddening!

An early, non QD Superbrain on eBay for £1000 :( https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202756096792 This is the message I sent: 'Hello - I have an interest and knowledge of these Superbrains, I've owned one for the last 12 years and had 5 when i was a teen. By all means try and get £1000 for it. Someone...
  6. A

IMS 8000 User Setup Guide

IMS 8000 system setup guide https://1drv.ms/b/s!AkqwbC5X9DqKiONXcyDFADRsnW2hiA This is a link to the manual in my OneDrive account. I tried uploading it here but couldn't get it to work. Apologies for the blank pages - I had the sheet feeder on the scanner set to duplex, so its scanned the...
  7. A

2 Boxes Hard Sectored 8 inch disks for sale in Uk

Hi - just posted on a famous online auction site - 2 boxes of 10 hard sectored 8" floppy disks - 2 separate auctions. One box Verbatim, one box Maxell. Maxell are in better condition. Not sure if I'm supposed to post eBay links? Search for Hard Sectored floppy disks and I'm sure you will find...
  8. A

VDAC IC for Intertec Superbrain QD

Hi - If anyone has a working spare CRT8002-003 VDAC IC, I need one to hopefully fix my Intertec Superbrain QD Needs to be the -003 variant preferably - it has a specific character encoding on the internal ROM Datasheet is here...
  9. A

Superbrain QD Nearly Fixed?

Hi all, Just a quick vid and rundown of where I'm at with my 12 year Superbrain quest: A pick of the Mboard after all the socketing etc I've done: I've socketed about 15 of the glue logic chips - partly to test them on my ABI Chip tester and partly just so I could see where traces go. I...
  10. A

Screwed up my IMS 8000

I should have left what's well enough alone... I've spent the last few weeks trying to get my IMS 8000 to a point where I can format disks and successfully movcpm and sysgen a system disk copy. I'd got as far as finding and replacing a number of logic ICs and 2114 RAM ICs so finally I can...
  11. A

mqp electronics model 18 PROM programmer

Not sure if this is the correct forum... If anyone has the software and / or manual for an MQP Electronics model 18 PROM programmer - please let me know! Could do with copies of both. I've emailed MQP - thought I'd try here in the interim. Any Idea if this early EPROM programmer will deal...
  12. A

Horror! ABI ICT24 Chip tester Faulty - and Probable Fix

Hi - just wanted to post a process of repair for anyone faced with a similar issue - you must own an ABI ACT-24 chip tester or its rebranded RS Components brother (like mine) for tis to be relevant to you. For the 3rd time, I found myself testing all 128 2114 RAM ICs in my IMS 8000 S100...
  13. A

Lazy 8" floppy disk question

Hi - Just a quickie regarding 8" disk compatibility I'm after a sealed (and hopefully working) box of SSDD floppy disks. My IMS 8000 will go up to SSDD. Its system disk is SSDD but on reading the sysgen / IMSgen part of the manual, If I want to make a working copy of the system disk, it has to...
  14. A

2 packs hard sectored 8" floppies

Hi all, I just discovered I have 2 packs of hard sectored floppies - 36 index holes. What would have used them? They came with my IMS 8000 which uses soft sectored disks - maybe the original owner bought them accidentally?
  15. A

Its Back!!! IMS 8000

For anyone interested - My IMS 8000 S100 machine is back online after being broke for the last 4 years or so. I recently acquired a rebadged ABI chip tester off eBay. Today I tested all 128 of its 2114 RAM chips and found 2 badduns - a quick robbery from my superbrain motherboard and... Im...
  16. A

MY NEC APC / IMS 8000 disk images

Hi All I had a request from a forum member to make available my NEC APC disk images - so here they are. The NEC APC disks are just a collection of someones Multiplan and WordStar software with their user data on the same disk I have also uploaded my IMS 8000 disks which may be a bit more...
  17. A

Superbrain QD repair

Hi - I've been attempting repairs again on my Superbrain QD for the nth time in 11 years. I thought I'd plot the course on here, post some vids/pictures etc. JonB very kindly tried various repairs on one of my SB boards but had to send it back in the end. I have managed to repair one of my PSU...
  18. A

DSDD 8" floppy disks WANTED

Does anyone have any DSDD 8" floppy disks? - preferably in known working condition - before I go blowing money on eBay NOS I need some reliable media for my NEC APC. I did find an old thread about - www.athana.com - on here somewhere but it concluded that they no longer sell 8" floppies. Oh...
  19. A

Swap NEC APC for Superbrain QD?

Just putting the feelers out - I have a working NEC APC (2 8" drives, colour screen, CPM and MS DOS plus other disks) would anyone be interested in swapping it for a fully functional Intertec Data Systems Superbrain QD? My NEC APC has all the original Manuals, receipts, somewhere I have a...
  20. A

ABI DDS-40 XP I must be blind!

I just started troubleshooting my DDS-40 XP chip tester. I had started a year ago after turning it on in the cellar yielded lots of fizzing, crackling noises. Opened up the PSU and according to me, could see no visible damage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR7hgRJOH2c I just opened it again...
Back