• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. D

Desoldering technique

All the above are very good to excellent suggestions. Good quality wick is a blessing and I've settled on Superwick vs. any other brand. There might be others or even better brands, but the eBay cheap stuff is nearly useless for most jobs. One idea I didn't see above is to preheat a...
  2. D

What are good examples of Windows Vista/7 era laptops that can run XP?

The need for 1080P plus an AMD CPU in a laptop really limits your choices. I'm trying to remember if I ever owned a laptop meeting those limits and can't remember one. One of my Windows ME/XP laptops I did use for a long time was an AMS Tech TravelPro 2500 that I upgraded to a K6-3+ CPU and 256K...
  3. D

Brother Super Power Note PN-8500MDS

Thanks, I take look for them.
  4. D

Got to see if it even boots first. That could be the first challenge. I have a NEC Starlet laptop with CP/M plus a complete Wordstar suite of programs in ROM. Perhaps a modified ROM swap replacing the Brother OS with some hooks to the Brother hardware could be done?
  5. D

Dual 8 inch QUMETRAK 842 rack mount floppy drive restoration

I'll bet the TO-3 power transistors are 2N3055's, I have a 4 slot S-100 rack that had a small linear power supply board just for the two 8" drives. That supply had 2N3055's mounted to the main case more or less like your power sup;ply used the case for a heatsink. Your supply is a notch or two...
  6. D

I have a Brother word processor/laptop shipping to me. Not much information on it online other than owner's manual etc. It is supposed to be able to read/write to 3.5" disks with IBM formats, but is running a clone Z80 CPU. Has anyone determined if it is running some form of CP/M with shell or...
  7. D

I guess its that time of year again...

I only have an acre now we're back in NY and it's all grass, but our property backs up to many acres of town watershed forested land. We used to have lots of turkeys, but none for the last few years. I think bird flu or some other disease killed most of them off. Or maybe the coyotes that seem...
  8. D

Cromemco dazzler replica project

I wonder if a Delta Products (later XOR Data Science) 64K DRAM board would function correctly with a Dazzler? It claims to be DMA and Cromemco bank select compatible. There is a note about 14 ᶙs max DMA time limit in the doc's.. Link on S100 Computers website...
  9. D

possible 3D printed replacement parts for Floppy drives Specifically Shugart SA455

I'm looking into getting some 3D printer replacements made.
  10. D

possible 3D printed replacement parts for Floppy drives Specifically Shugart SA455

Digging into my broken Panasonic JU-455-7 floppy drive and I found that it has several (3) plastic pieces that have all failed. Not only the wedge (as above), but this drive has a "gearbox" with an offset output wedge shaft that is not part of the shaft that the front lever directly rotates...
  11. D

MacDat Vintage Laptop Documentation Project - Main Thread

Interesting how they fit together. If you ever want any of these Chicony Models I have several of each of the following: MP968/ARA, MP975, MP978, MP979, MP983, MP989 plus the MP989/Micron NX (has a different motherboard - has a connector for keyboard pointer mouse). I also have one MP995 and...
  12. D

MacDat Vintage Laptop Documentation Project - Main Thread

3lectric, that ties in with what I was told in an offhand conversation once that Chicony dropped out of the laptop business to concentrate on making keyboards and "Clevo" was going to make the laptops. It was never stated the exact connection between the two companies. Didn't matter much to me...
  13. D

Chuck, I agree that gluing Acetal/POM or Nylon is chancy. jafir, great suggestion -- or duh, why didn't I think of leaving a zip tie on the shaft part! I was thinking of making a clamp out of metal, but a zip tie is so much easier. Thanks for the idea, now I've got to go try it out.
  14. D

Weird, earlier today I was working on a Panasonic JU-455-7 C09 drive with the same type of failure, a cracked wedge or whatever its called, that forces the clamp action to happen. I was thinking that the plastic is Delrin and most glue won't work to repair the crack. If it is an "easy" fix I'd...
  15. D

Microdyne S-100 boards?

I still have the set of three Millie boards and am wondering if any European S-100 VCF members have knowledge or manuals that might help me put them to use.
  16. D

daver2 sounds like you need some high voltage TTL's. <G>
  17. D

New England Free for the cost of shipping Imation Super Drive 120mb 3.5" floppy drive USB external

Chuck, put it on eBay and use a lot of works like "rare, one of a kind, new old stock, & chance of a lifetime" and price it at $999.99 or OBO. Or maybe really go for it and add shipping of $444.44, but then you'd have to ship it from Bulgaria like most of the S-100 boards on eBay. :cry:
  18. D

Managing your retro projects...tips?

I try to work on only as many projects as I can keep track of their progress in my head. So if I'm waiting on parts for one project I will work on others, but when I've got projects scattered everywhere in various states of disrepair it's time to finish a few before even thinking about starting...
  19. D

nullvalue, your requested IC's are being picked up today by the USPO and should take 4-5 days for delivery (plus any delayed caused by the holiday) All are 1980's or earlier date codes and picked for that reason. I included a couple of extra 7404's because I had a bunch of them. Between the guys...
Back