• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. S

Gateway P5-133XL on a modern DisplayPort/HDMI monitor without using VGA convertor - is it possible?

Most likely because a VGA card simply cannot output that resolution, so VGA monitors don't need to deal with it. Ever. If you set a 320x200 resolution, a VGA card will double-scan and use an appropriate pixel clock to actually output a 720x400 video timing. Please stop spreading misinformation.
  2. S

Writing Assemblers... What should a good assembler do?

If you are repeatedly hitting limitations and they annoy you, you should maybe consider doing something about them. Scoping (or namespaces) are an issue which has been named before, especially in the macro context. I'm not suggesting that you should build a complex system, but a few flags...
  3. S

I found a good blog post evaluating a set of 6502 cross-assemblers at https://bumbershootsoft.wordpress.com/2016/01/31/a-tour-of-6502-cross-assemblers/. It might be a good read in order to understand how other people think about assemblers, and how they rank features. No matter what you do, you...
  4. S

Utility Linux Distribution

Sounds like you are trying to solve the wrong problem. Please take a step back and try to figure out what you are trying to do - and why. By now, systemd supports most features one might want to wish for. Almost all daemons today either interact well enough with it or behave in a reasonably...
  5. S

Compiler technology has improved substantially since the early 80s, and so have the high-level languages themselves. Remember the video I linked you in the beginning? His ASM.COM reimplementation (done in C) is of comparable size, similar functionality and likely faster than DRI's...
  6. S

NTFS is fully capable of providing POSIX semantics. It was designed for that after all, because of the POSIX subsystem in early NT. However, the Windows API does not allow you to use NTFS in such a way. So on Windows, you actually cannot provide full POSIX behaviour even though the underlying...
  7. S

My i8080 emulator runs the (comprehensive) 8080 test suite about 260x faster than a true 8080 would (~42 seconds instead of >3 hours), on a decade-old laptop. A modern laptop improves this by another large factor because of improvements in modern processors. If you are concerned about emulator...
  8. S

In that case, I would simply use a CP/M-based assembler. On Windows or Linux, I would run the same assembler through a command-line CP/M emulator. RomWBW takes this approach for C code, using HiTech C through a wrapper, which guarantees identical binaries across host systems.
  9. S

Trident card that thinks Colour Monitor is Monochrome

I can confirm that COLOR.COM also works with an OTI-037C connected to an older 15" HP LCD.
  10. S

There are many assemblers running on other systems as well. The Z80 is and has been an extremely common target. The list at http://www.z80.info/z80sdt.htm contains 5 entries for 32-bit Windows, for example. RomWBW is also built primarily on Windows. There is at least one Z80-focused IDE running...
  11. S

Old versions of Debian (2.x) or NetBSD (1.5ish) - are very rough to install and it's easy to screw up. I remember FreeBSD 4.x to be easier to set up. Apple had MacOS X certified as a proper UNIX at some point. That is a LOT of RAM you got there. 😁 About a decade ago, I set up a then-recent...
  12. S

Be aware of feature creep. If your scope is to assemble a single project or to reimplement a single assembler, then you don't need to build a fully-featured product. Realistically, you won't have many users either way; at least I don't see a reason to switch to your project yet. There are many...
  13. S

Yeah, no. If I want a concise table, I don't want an overly verbose representation. If this is what your assembler provides, I'd precompute the table outside and use DW statements instead. In your example, the DPBCD macro reserves the names PSIZE, PSPT, TRKS, BLKS, NDIR and OFF for itself...
  14. S

Intel 8085 question

I'm not sure whether Intel would have cared about compatibility with 8080 systems. It wouldn't have been Intels decision anyway, and vendors embracing the 8085 might even have been able to improve sales figures substantially. Compatibility with an envisioned 16-bit successor sounds much more...
  15. S

Your example would work for a single DPB entry, barely. It would not work well for a complex table of precomputed values. I've written a table-driven i80 simulator which chains assembly fragments to save space. Each instruction is a single table entry, as follows: .macro instr ; table...
  16. S

WinImage for DOS

Most older Linux or BSD distributions came with RAWRITE.EXE or RAWRITE3.COM to write installation images to disks. Some also had a RAWREAD.EXE to read a regular floppy into an image file. There have also been DOS ports of "dd". None of these will work with copy protection.
  17. S

A reasonable limit would be 16 arguments. Macros are not only useful for code snippets, but also for table generation. Building a CP/M DPB requires more than 3 arguments.
  18. S

Best "starter" CP/M machine? (and looking for KAMAS outliner software)

I've stuffed an i80 (not Z80) emulator into an Atmega8515 , with external SRAM and SD card. Easy to build on perfboard, runs at an appropriate speed (approx. i8080 @ 2 MHz) and is reasonably extensible. It's enough to scratch the CP/M itch and (in contrast to many other SBCs) actually feels like...
  19. S

Intel 8085 question

From my understanding, the undocumented 8085 instructions do not carry forward to the 8086. My guess is that Intel originally added them to improve high-level language support, but later realized that they would be a compatibility burden if not carried forward. Without them, it is very easy to...
  20. S

Announcing ZuluIDE - an ATAPI CD-ROM and Removable (read-write) media emulator

Since the project is basically open firmware for closed hardware (and the hardware is not available anywhere else), I see this as a commercial, closed-source project. Also, from my completely uninformed outsider perspective, the whole "which SCSI emulator is better" discussions kept me away from...
Back