• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. S

Source for ZETA V2 FDC (WD37C65 or equivalent)

Hi, I have build a few ZETA V2 boards (for myself and friends), but have trouble finding enough WD37C65 (or equivalent) chips. So far, we've failed three times and always ended up with fakes. Do you have any sources for ... maybe three of them?
  2. S

Classic repair issue

Hi, I have recently acquired a Macintosh Classic, my first Apple device ever. Which means I have zero experience. When turned on, the machine shows a checkerboard pattern, likely indicating that it wants its logic board capacitors replaced. There was no battery leakage yet (although the...
  3. S

How to handle system with upper memory banking?

Hi, I have been looking into the KC85 (note: not KC85/1) series of computers for a while. They share much of their architecture, are cassette-based, very expandable systems (two module slots in the base system, four module slots each in up to four expansion chassis) and can be upgraded to...
  4. S

Running IBM PC XENIX 1.0 in emulation

Hi, did anyone succeed in running IBM PC XENIX 1.0 inside an emulator? It is a very close relative to Microsoft XENIX 3.0, which makes it relevant for me. The system is unfortunately very picky with its hardware. It strictly requires an 80286, fails with EGA/VGA and it doesn't seem to like...
  5. S

Trident TVGA9000B failures

Hi, a few weeks ago, I was able to get some of my old hardware to where I live now. It was stored in the attic for the last 10~15 years, and probably saw temperatures between 0°C in winter and +45°C in summer. One of the things I brought was a PCCHIPS M326 mainboard (basically a 386DX/40...
  6. S

CBIOS issues... adapting CP/M to own system

Hi, I have designed a Z80 system, and I have a bit of trouble getting CP/M 2.2 to see files. The system currently uses an AVR controller for initial bootstrap, serial and storage (using its embedded flash memory). So, I have a ROM drive with 24 KiB in size, with a very simple hardware...
  7. S

3.5" floppy drive voltages

Hi, do 3.5" floppy drives require 12V power? I started to build a Z80 based system a few years back, but never finished any disk interface. CP/M runs off a ROM disk for now, which isn't that useful. But since I got an old XT FDC card recently, I wanted to add a 3.5" drive (DD only). Since...
  8. S

8086 instruction exerciser

Hi, emulating a CPU is hard. No surprise there, I guess. :-) For the Intel 8080/8085 and Zilog Z80 processors, there are excellent instruction exercisers available (here for 8080/8085 or here for Z80, which will tell you if the CPU (or emulators) works correctly, by testing all instructions...
  9. S

Bondwell B310 adventures

Hi, I have received a Bondwell B310 laptop some time ago, a friend's attic-find. The machine is essentially a standard AT (80286-12, 1 MB RAM, CGA, 1.44 MB floppy, 40 MB hard drive). The machine suffered from spurious resets. Although all electrolytic capacitors looked fine, I have replaced...
  10. S

Xenix86 Text Processing Kit / Development Kit

Hi, does anybody have the Development Kit or Text Processing Kit for Xenix/86 or knows some place to find disk images of those ? Since PCE does emulate the 5150 nowadays, it would be fun to have these kits and run a UUCP environment. :-) Thanks, Svenska
  11. S

Hercules / CGA / EGA monitors?

Hello, I am not very experienced with very old parts, yet. So my question is: Is there any difference in Hercules (HGC), CGA and EGA monitors in terms of connection? Or can I just hook up some CGA/EGA monitor onto an old Hercules Mono graphics card and have it "work" ? I think I could try out...
  12. S

Xenix-286 kits?

Hello, I've got Xenix-286 version 2.3.2 disk images (disks N1-N3, X1-X4, B1-B2 and GA) and they work like a charm. But not I am looking for other disk sets, at least the network and the development kit. I think there was even an X version (or some other kind of GUI) for 16-bit Xenix. At least...
Back