• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. F

AT controllers that support unbuffered seek

Hello, today I come to you all with another potentially unanswerable question. What AT hard disk controllers support unbuffered seek? I can't seem to find any, I am led to believe that one must exist. I'd like to use my ST-506, TI-5, EC5300, SA-1004, JCT 100, etc disk drives which do not...
  2. F

(Almost) every record holder for the world's smallest mechanical hard drive in one photo

Hello, today I have reached a new milestone in my collection. I am but one drive away from having every record holder for the world's smallest hard disk drive in my collection. The missing drive is the HP Kittyhawk, a 1.3" mobile IDE drive introduced in 1992, which was a major commercial...
  3. F

The South WTB: Vintage hard disk drives

Hello, it's that time of year again where I have lots of disposable income to put into various hobby projects of mine. I seem to get pretty good results every time I make a post. I am a collector of vintage hard disk drives, typically from 1979 to 1994 or so, though I don't specifically limit...
  4. F

Information about M. Farris & Associates

Hello, many years ago, when I first started my collection of disk drives, I stumbled across "M. Farris & Associates," which was a website with what seemed to be many bogus models of disk drives, which I mostly disregarded. Recently, I've confirmed the existence of a few of the really insane...
  5. F

Need Microcomputer Memories Inc (MMI) 106/112/206/212 ROM image

Hello all, I come today a bit disappointed because I broke something. I have a prototype MMI MM 212 hard disk drive with a bad EPROM. Sadly, the upper 4 bits is all trashed and the drive does not operate. On power, the access light turns on solid and nothing else happens. In my own research, I...
  6. F

The South Wanted: DPT SmartCache PM3011 series

Hello, I'm looking to purchase a Distributed Processing Technology (DPT) SmartCache PM3011 series disk controller card. Specifically, I am looking for the PM3011E/559 (MFM) or PM3011E/659 (RLL), which have onboard SCSI hosts. There are some PM3011E/75s on eBay right now, but they are ESDI...
  7. F

IBM 62PC "Piccolo" - Where is the head lock?

Hello, I just bought an IBM 62PC for a pretty good price, and the seller offered to lock the heads for me if I could tell him where the lock is. We found the spindle lock, but not the actuator lock. Does this drive have one, if so where? I doubt it works but I would like to give it the best...
  8. F

Where would I even start searching for this part?

Hello, recently I acquired a Quantum Q2040 at a *fantastically* low price. After some effort, the spindle motor (which is curiously DC) is reasonably quiet and the spindle itself seems in good health. What are NOT in good health are the control board (Damaged in shipping, with several...
  9. F

Seagate ST-506 fast seek

Hello. Seagate lists in several of their period manuals for the ST-506 a "Customer option" titled fast seek, but all of the references I have found point to a document called "Seagate Application ST001" I can't find this document anywhere and I can't find any information on the modification to...
  10. F

More cool BIOS problems

Hello. I'm back again with another weird freak of nature BIOS problem. Updated the BIOS on my Shuttle HOT-661/P V3.x from 6610S164 to "eSupport 4.2" and used the Award BIOS Patcher to attempt to get around the 32GB bug and get support for newer CPUs. In short, this seems very successful! The...
  11. F

Award BIOS ACPI compliance

Hello all. I have a machine here which uses the Intel 440BX chipset, the motherboard being a Shuttle HOT-661/P V3.1. I'm told by others this is a decent motherboard. I updated to the latest BIOS I could find (6610S164) primarily for Pentium III support. After updating the BIOS and swapping from...
  12. F

SyQuest SQ-306RD does not initialize

Hello, I own a pair of SyQuest SQ-306RD removable cartridge Winchester drives and several cartridges. Transferring data to my AT last night, I inserted the cartridge into the bridge machine, wrote my files, ejected the cartridge properly, and stuck it in the AT. Only, instead of the light...
  13. F

Need help with Tulin TL-226

Hello, I am attempting to repair a hard disk drive, a Tulin TL-226. The brake releases, the spindle accelerates to speed, and the drive seeks to cylinder 0. All of this happens reliably. At the end of the seek, the drive flashes it's activity lamp 8 times. It never asserts it's READY signal and...
  14. F

Kalok Cartridge System

Hello again, this will be my third post about my little hard disk collection. This group is not nearly as large as the Kalok Octagon collection or the Computer Memories collection, but I feel it is still worthy of it's own little post, as these drives in working condition are rather uncommon...
  15. F

Computer Memories Inc hard disk collection (Incomplete)

Hello again, I come to show another part of my disk collection off. This time drives from Computer Memories Inc, CMI, best known for being the drive IBM chose to walk away from for the AT. That was specifically the 6426S. Top left to bottom right: CM-5619 (306/6/17 for ~15MB formatted) CM-6426...
  16. F

Bootable DMF diskette?

Hello all, I have a pair of floppy diskettes which I use for disk repair and data recovery, one is packed as full as it can be (2048 bytes free) and the other is basically empty (<200K on disk), thus it has occurred to me that I could probably condense this into one floppy if I switch to a...
  17. F

(Nearly) Complete Kalok Octagon Lineup

Since I've decided to start participating here a bit more, I figured I would show off some of the things I have acquired. This is my most recent "Complete" section, with two exceptions. I don't really have any displays set up for my things or any good studio space to take pretty pictures of...
  18. F

CMOS setting spoof or 1701 bypass

Hello, as mentioned in my other thread, I am attempting to recover data from several vintage hard disks (which came with controllers) that were given to me by a friend of the family. Large cardboard box of mostly MFM/RLL drives and controllers. The current pair is: DTC 5150XL (BIOS CXD23A) and a...
  19. F

Disk Imaging software for Windows

Hello. I am here today with an odd dilemma. A friend of the family has gifted me a few old disk drives and controllers - 3 of which are MFM/RLL - and requested that I recover data from them if possible. Due to a recent move, I do not currently have access to my XT or AT and will not for some...
  20. F

The South Vintage hard disks (again)

I originally made this account to find vintage hard disks, and here I am again back for more. I actually had a really pleasant experience the first time around, I'm not sure why I never came back, but in talking with someone about repairing a drive I realize that there are less and less people...
Back