• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. B

1000EX not liking anything but 360K drives?

Just spit-balling an idea. The Tandy 1000 EX internal floppy header is hardwired to only accept DS0, and DS1 is routed to the external floppy edge connector. DS1, DS2, and DS3 are all floating on the internal header. Most "modern" 3.5" floppy drives are hardwired to DS1, but older drives usually...
  2. B

Video RAM Upgrade for Tandy 2500 SX/33

With my video cards, I've been lucky enough to get away with finding the socketed equivalent of the chips already soldered to the board and not have to look for anything exotic. As mentioned already, they're 256Kx8 70ns fast-page DRAM. I found mine for my 1000 RSX on eBay back about 6 years ago...
  3. B

Tandy 1100FD/HD Service Manual (Panasonic BP150) wanted

I'm also looking for it. I'd like to see if it's possible to use the upper RAM card header as an interface to build an XT-CF card.
  4. B

XTIDE Universal BIOS

PCMCIA was a 8/16-bit expansion bus, but not directly compatible with ISA. It's got the data and address lines, but the control lines are different. See pinout here. It's possible to design a PCMCIA card, but at best it would all be fine-pitch surface mount, and there's no way to make this...
  5. B

XTIDE Device Compatibility List

These are the CompactFlash cards and adapters I have. Each has been tested to work on my custom built variants of the Lo-Tech ISA-CF rev.2, and the Glitchworks XT-IDE rev.4, both with XUB 2.0.0β3 (rev. 601) ("custom built" to the "PLUS" form factor for use in my Tandy 1000HX, but otherwise...
  6. B

XTIDE Device Compatibility List

After noting that there's no thread for listing devices used with the various XT-IDE Universal BIOS (XUB) based cards, I decided to make one. This thread is dedicated to listing the devices used with the 8-bit cards made to utilize XUB, such as Lo-Tech's ISA-CF rev.2, XT-CF-lite, and Glitch's...
  7. B

Original Tandy 1000 no boot

The first picture looks like a cursor on an HSYNC signal that's gone way off kilter (to me anyways) You've already tried swapping the CPU and the 8284 from the 1000 into a known working system, and they're working, so those are out of the way. This all happened after you took everything apart...
  8. B

Show us your Tandy Computers!

May as well. I wanted to take it apart and clean the disk heads anyways. Probably ought to find myself a 3.5" cleaning disk. Pretty much the same, only the stock cable is 14" instead of 17".
  9. B

ISA Compact Flash Adapter

Yeah, I've been trying to test hard drives on the XT-IDE card I built (based on Glitch's XT-IDE rev.4), as I put it through it's paces (I found a couple minor things I need to change for the next version, but the XT-IDE itself seems to function normally). I do have a Maxtor 8.4GB drive...
  10. B

It's backwards on my HX too. I think this is just because the drives the HX's used had the keyway on the opposite side of what we would now call "standard." Tandy was using Shugart drives at least until the end of the 1000 line, and the PC "standard" was still in flux in 1987. By the RSX...
  11. B

I wish to create a new DMA/RAM expansion card for the Tandy 1000 line.

So, I got the PCBs from China. I haven't fully assembled the card yet, but I did enough to see how well the right-angle solder jobbie works. I did one side of the backpanel section without any solder mask. Turns out I did get a couple measurements wrong, but this is why I submitted them as two...
  12. B

So, regarding the original intent of this post, I have a T512CLK-A1 here that I still intend to finish reverse engineering for it's DMA logic, which is entirely TTL. I think we're all satisfied with the 00/32 RAM logic at this point, and people are building their own cards based on that, but...
  13. B

Lo-Tek Compact Flash Adapter - Not seeing CF Card

I'd try flashing with XUB R601 (or later) - I've had better compatibility with that version. Some CompactFlash cards are known to not work very well with the 8-bit PIO mode that this card uses, but may work on the full 16-bit mode, such as the XT-IDE rev.4 uses. I custom built my card on a...
  14. B

Yeah, I'd definitely recommend the '245 for the CF card section, because that thing gets very finicky, if you saw my post a few pages back on my protoboard CF-IDE. Speaking of Tetris, this is the PLUS version of Glitch's XT-IDE that I've been working on (I got his permission, it's open source...
  15. B

I ought to have looked through my Byte magazine before asking the retail price. $699 for the HX in October 1987.
  16. B

Back to the topic. Remember the Tandy 1000HX I showed earlier? The one from my childhood? Well, my mom was cleaning out some of my dad's old stuff, and came across these invoices from when my dad bought the thing. All prices are in Canadian dollars, and I've adjusted the prices for inflation...
  17. B

Just to recap, this is the quick and dirty solution we worked out earlier: This was tested on my HX, so it ought to work. Connecting the SRAM chip straight with A19 as enable should work as well, The issues I was having with the '245 on my CF card, I believe, were due to cross-talk between the...
  18. B

That's not a capacitor, it's a design flaw, and the sound on the HX always was a bit noisy because of it. I've always got fans going in my room, so I never notice. Supposedly the EX doesn't have that issue, but I don't have one to compare with. Yeah, whatever is going on is definitely on my...
  19. B

I've also got a Tandy CM-5 (for the 1000HX) that's currently under repair, due to a bad vertical output (just shows a super-bright horizontal line in the middle of the screen). At some point, I intend to continue working on that. Got too many things on the go. And a couple Tandy 3.5" floppy...
  20. B

Okay, I figure I've lurked in this thread long enough, so here's my Tandy stuff Tandy 1000 RSX, with VGM-300 monitor and MMS-10 multimedia system. 25MHz AMD CPU 387 Math co-processor 9MB RAM (1MB soldered to the MB, 8MB in 2 SIMM slots) AcuMOS onboard SVGA video with 256KB extra video RAM...
Back