• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. K

Oldest games you know

I remember playing a lunar lander game on an HP 97 calculator.
  2. K

I am having trouble with my BTC-1515C ISA Video Adapter on my IBM 5150 or 5160XT

Are you trying to display EGA video on a CGA monitor? Because any of the 350-line EGA modes (including the default bootup mode) won't display on a CGA monitor that's limited to only the 200-line modes.
  3. K

What do you currently use for thumbdrives?

I mostly use Sandisk Cruzer Fit thumb drives. They are very small so they don't take much space in your pocket. I usually have some with me at all times, along with some mini-SD cards.
  4. K

Which minicomputer architectures used "skips" to branch and had no stack?

Also the SEL-810 computers used skips, and subroutine calls were made using "SPB" (store place and branch), which stored the return address in the target memory location, then jumped to the memory location after that (return from subroutine then being an indirect jump to the top of the routine...
  5. K

Working on Plantronics Viewer

also it looks like you're doing a 16-bit I/O operation. does this end up writing 0 to the register following the mode control register?
  6. K

What uses hard sectored disks?

Some systems ignore the sector timing holes altogether and won't care whether you use hard sectored or soft sectored floppy disks. Commodore 8-bit systems, for example.
  7. K

How to obtain selected radio button from resource script dialog box

is there a reason you don't return TRUE if wParam is IDB_RESTORE?
  8. K

Printing paper tape

My guess would be to load the .9trk magtape image into a simulated Nova in SIMH, then write out a virtual paper tape. Then punch the virtual paper tape file to physical paper tape, then read that in on your real hardware.
  9. K

Data General Nova and Eclipse Software Hobbyist License

I took a quick look at one of the .9trk files and it appears to be a SIMH virtual magnetic tape image file, suitable for use with the SIMH Nova simulator.
  10. K

Utility for reading RT-11 disk images

Some months back, someone on reddit needed assistance recovering data from an RT-11 RL02 cartridge they had accidentally clobbered. I happened to have a program that could read RT-11 disk images and was able to offer a little bit of help, and it occurred to me at that point that it would be a...
  11. K

11/34a in need of rescue - Coachella Valley, CA

Saw this on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/vintagecomputing/comments/bunk5m/pdp1134a_available_for_free_in_the_coachella/
  12. K

VT05 terminal emulator available

I've posted an open-source VT05 terminal emulator for Windows at https://github.com/kgober/VT05 It is a work in progress, but is completed enough to be usable. It supports connecting to a host over a serial port, via telnet, or a raw TCP connection. The raw TCP option is useful for connecting...
  13. K

Wanted: DEC VT05 Font Pictures or ROM Dump

Here's what those same characters look like on my emulator now:
  14. K

How to determine the original hyphenated IBM "type" number for a system?

Here's a picture of the front label I found on one of my XTs. This XT is sitting on top of another PC or XT, which is why you see drives below the sticker. The front stickers on the 5160 and 5170 are in the middle, unlike say a PS/2 Model 70 where it's on the right side of the lower edge.
  15. K

The VT-100 Keyboard

I can't offer any advice on how to get a VT100. A VT220, VT240 or VT320 might be easier to acquire (and the LK201 keyboards for them are easier to get as well). Also, I don't know if you are aware of it but I've written a VT52 emulator that you might find useful. I've tried to give it a look...
  16. K

Hard Drive front plate

I took a picture of my own Proliant 6500 server and one of its three external drive cabinets (cropped the top part of the server to show only the 3.5" drive bays). Both of these cabinets were made to accept both low-profile and half-height 3.5" drives. The purple-handled drive sleds all have...
  17. K

EISA cards for trade for VL Bus cards

I did some digging and found a VLB video card and a VLB multi-I/O card. I don't know if they work, but I could send them along and you could decide if they're worth trading for... I believe this documents the jumper settings for the I/O card...
  18. K

I've got a Compaq Deskpro 486/33M coming...

This is what the audio adapter cable looks like: As is common with Compaq parts, the "part number" (139037-001) is different from the "spares number" (129444-001).
  19. K

It looks like the characters in the NatSemi standard AA ROM are for the 1963 version of ASCII without lowercase and with up- and left-arrows in place of caret (^) and underscore (_). Perhaps the AA0 part substituted caret and underscore in accordance with 1968 ASCII, and while they were at it...
  20. K

I've spent the past few days searching the web for information about the DEC VT05 screen font. Either a dump of the character generator ROM, or even clear pictures of what the characters look like on-screen. I found only one decent picture (on these forums, actually!) but it doesn't show all...
Back