• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. J

DEC Prioris XL 6200 - boot from PCI IDE?

I have been wanting a Pentium machine for some time now, and have had no luck in thrift stores or on Craigslist. After another disappointing weekend of looking, I came into work today to discover that we are finally loading up our old PCs on a skid to send to the recycler. I had already picked...
  2. J

What type of switch is a standard ATX power switch?

I'm building an emulation box based on a Raspberry Pi, which I am mounting in a PC case. I'm in the final stages now, but I'm having a bit of trouble with the power switch. I'm using an ATX case, which obviously has a momentary power switch. I need to use a latching switch for the Pi, and I'm...
  3. J

FS: Key Switches/Locks

I needed a key switch for a build, and I ended up buying a job lot in order to get the type I needed. I am offering the rest of them for sale for $6 each (via PayPal) INCLUDING shipping to the lower 48 States. If you want more than one it will work out a little cheaper because shipping will be...
  4. J

Do ATX Blanking Plates Fit in AT Cases?

While you certainly could put my current case on top of a desk, it's definitely a tower. By 'desktop' I'm referring to the horizontal type that you put a monitor on top of. I expect you're probably referring to the small form factor type cases that can be used either as a horizontal desktop or...
  5. J

Do ATX Blanking Plates Fit in AT Cases?

I'm currently building a Raspberry Pi based system for running all of my old home computer emulators. I'm building it in a PC case and breaking out all the ports to the back of the case. I eventually want a desktop style case, but I'm having a little trouble finding one at a sane price, so for...
  6. J

The (long) story of a special NEC PC-8201A

I was moving some stuff around last night, and I found my old PC-8201A inside my suitcase. This machine has a story behind it, so I hope you will indulge me a little trip down memory lane... In 1994, when I was 18, my school sent me on 'Work Experience', which was essentially a two-week...
  7. J

WTT: Your Broken 5-14" Floppy Drive for My 3 Zip Drives

These are still up for trade - here are some photos: There are two NEC Zip 100's and one Iomega Zip 250
  8. J

Computer placement on cement

I didn't mention epoxy sealers for a couple of reasons. They are expensive, and if you're going to spend that kind of money, you'd be better off with some type of resilient flooring. The second reason is too technical to post here, but it basically boils down to two things; There are many...
  9. J

WTT: Your Broken 5-14" Floppy Drive for My 3 Zip Drives

I need an internal 5-1/4" floppy drive for a project, but it is for cosmetics only and does not need to be working. I have three beige internal Zip drives that I don't need. They appear to be working when powered up, but I'm afraid I don't have any Zip disks to test them properly. Do you have...
  10. J

Need Advice: Cleaning Dusty Floppy Drives

Every time I come across an old PC being junked, one of the items I routinely strip out of them (if I can't save the whole machine) is the floppy drive. I have eight or nine 3-1/2" drives now, and they all suffer from the same problem to some extent - dust bunnies. I'm not talking a bit dusty...
  11. J

Where do you find old computers?

I currently have a Retropie box for my emulators, but I grew up with computers rather than consoles, and having a machine hooked up to my TV with a keyboard and mouse on my lap is less than ideal. I decided that I need a computer desk type arrangement for these machines, so I have decided to...
Back