• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. J

DEC Prioris XL 6200 - boot from PCI IDE?

I have been wanting a Pentium machine for some time now, and have had no luck in thrift stores or on Craigslist. After another disappointing weekend of looking, I came into work today to discover that we are finally loading up our old PCs on a skid to send to the recycler. I had already picked...
  2. J

What type of switch is a standard ATX power switch?

I'm building an emulation box based on a Raspberry Pi, which I am mounting in a PC case. I'm in the final stages now, but I'm having a bit of trouble with the power switch. I'm using an ATX case, which obviously has a momentary power switch. I need to use a latching switch for the Pi, and I'm...
  3. J

FS: Key Switches/Locks

I needed a key switch for a build, and I ended up buying a job lot in order to get the type I needed. I am offering the rest of them for sale for $6 each (via PayPal) INCLUDING shipping to the lower 48 States. If you want more than one it will work out a little cheaper because shipping will be...
  4. J

Do ATX Blanking Plates Fit in AT Cases?

I'm currently building a Raspberry Pi based system for running all of my old home computer emulators. I'm building it in a PC case and breaking out all the ports to the back of the case. I eventually want a desktop style case, but I'm having a little trouble finding one at a sane price, so for...
  5. J

The (long) story of a special NEC PC-8201A

I was moving some stuff around last night, and I found my old PC-8201A inside my suitcase. This machine has a story behind it, so I hope you will indulge me a little trip down memory lane... In 1994, when I was 18, my school sent me on 'Work Experience', which was essentially a two-week...
  6. J

WTT: Your Broken 5-14" Floppy Drive for My 3 Zip Drives

I need an internal 5-1/4" floppy drive for a project, but it is for cosmetics only and does not need to be working. I have three beige internal Zip drives that I don't need. They appear to be working when powered up, but I'm afraid I don't have any Zip disks to test them properly. Do you have...
  7. J

Need Advice: Cleaning Dusty Floppy Drives

Every time I come across an old PC being junked, one of the items I routinely strip out of them (if I can't save the whole machine) is the floppy drive. I have eight or nine 3-1/2" drives now, and they all suffer from the same problem to some extent - dust bunnies. I'm not talking a bit dusty...
  8. J

Where do you find old computers?

I currently have a Retropie box for my emulators, but I grew up with computers rather than consoles, and having a machine hooked up to my TV with a keyboard and mouse on my lap is less than ideal. I decided that I need a computer desk type arrangement for these machines, so I have decided to...
Back