• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. B

Replacing an old NEC 286F backlight with almost no money

Hello. I recently acquired one old defective NEC 286F with lots of problems. Luckily, we could still powering it on, but the first problem we saw is a defective back light. It was yet possible to see text on the screen, but not easily. We needed to fix it in order to view the screen so we could...
  2. B

Terminal with twisted image - is it possible to fix?

Hi! I'm about to acquire a terminal, but the seller just told me the image is twisted. She sent me a picture: I don't have the technical logic to judge if it is unrecoverable or if a technician could just twist the tube a little to fix the image. Can you help me with this? Thanks!
  3. B

Using a PS/2 PC keyboard on a HP 700/96 terminal

Hello all. I recently got access to a HP 700/96 terminal *without* keyboard. I'd like to know if it is possible using a standalone PS/2 PC keyboard on it if I just chop off its PS/2 connector and sold a RJ11 (RJ12?) connector to it with the correct pinout. I couldn't find if soldering it with...
  4. B

Cannot connect Linux to VAXstation 4000/90 (cougar) via RS-232

Hi! I recently got a beautiful and likely functional VAXstation 4000/90 (cougar). When I turn it, leds turn on and off and it makes a beautiful sound at the end of the initialization process. It then turns off all leds, hence indicating no error. Although everything seems fine, I cannot show...
  5. B

Restoring a NEC 286F backlight?

Hi all! I'm getting an beautiful and old NEC 286F. It seems it kind of works but the LCD backlight is almost dying. The current owner recorded a video of it being turned on and off: After talking to #vc guys on IRC and looking at some topics here at the forums, it seems that the first...
  6. B

Sun SPARC Classic network problems

Hi there! I got a beautiful and functional Sun SPARC Classic (very similar to this/). Everything works: HDD, videocard, etc. Even the external DVD driver the seller gave me. The problem is that the network adapter seems not to work at all. I've tried everything. dhcp, static IP addressing...
  7. B

Connecting a T440 terminal to a distant computer - modems are needed?

Hi! I'm born on 80's and started to use computers around 2000 (Windows 98) but since I became a Unix user, I felt in love with Unix history, computer history and vintage computer in general. I recently acquired a DEC T440 terminal and, more recently, a SPARCClassic workstation. I want to...
Back