• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. B

1988 386 dual booting MS-DOS 3.3 and PC-MOS! Includes Link's PC-Term terminal

Finally have to let this go. I have it listed on Craigslist here: https://cleveland.craigslist.org/sys/6174088318.html I am in NE Ohio, not too far from Cleveland (Mentor Ohio) close to I-90 Let me know if you have any questions, or make an offer! It's the only vintage PC I have left that's...
  2. B

Are you an Active Collector or a Passive one?

I'm a passive collector. All of my collection consists of old PCs that I bought new and just kept and upgraded etc.
  3. B

Accuracy of RTC in a 386

Just as a follow up: I have attached a pic of the file showing the time difference between the NIST and PC-clock. It's pretty easy to follow. There is an entry made every time Windows starts up (I have the program in the Windows 3.11 startup group) The current date and time followed by the...
  4. B

Accuracy of RTC in a 386

Now that I have the new battery setup in my AMD 386 mini-tower computer (having 2 CR2032) I expected my time would remain at least as accurate as an old quartz clock. But after not using the computer for a week or so, I noticed the time is about 5 minutes behind. Is this typical of computer...
  5. B

Create a drive image on dos/win95 machine?

Thanks to the UNBD disk, I was able to easily upgrade my Gateway 2000 system drive from 1 GB to 1.5 GB using Ghost 2003. After installing the new drive, I restored the image from the old C:drive (1 GB) and Ghost automatically expanded the drive to 1.5 GB on the system drive! I was also able to...
  6. B

Weird networking problem between WFW and Ubuntu

I have a AMD 386 @ 40 Mhz running Windows 3.11 (Windows for Workgroups) on the home lan, as well as a Dell AMD Turion @ 2ghz running Ubuntu 12.04. When I browse the drives on the 386 machine from the Dell, I can only see directories and files with no extensions (.txt etc.). Nothing else will...
  7. B

Replaced soldered in Ni-cad cmos battery

Here are some pics of the battery case for my dual coin cells. Has an on/off switch. (Cost a $1.89 for two of them on Ebay). It is mounted on velcro tape to the inside case. Even after taking these pics etc. the pc fired up with the exact correct time. :p The ground wire may have become...
  8. B

Hey Joe, I'll chime in that I am using the two coin cells (total of 6v) My soldered in Ni-Cad was 3.6v just like yours. I think the 4 AA batteries will work like a charm. Smart decision to replace even the good ni-cad battery. Mine was still functional too, but it WAS losing time if it sat...
  9. B

Welp, I found this replacement battery on fleabay They're brand new and sold by Radio Shack, so it's for a good cause.. ;) I had to remove the motherboard on my mini-tower AMD 386 @ 40Mhz. The ni-cad was mounted too tight to surroundings to snip. I wasn't looking forward to ruffling the...
  10. B

My KVM setup

Here's the Monitor and keyboard with the two mice. I forgot to add this pic to the first post.
  11. B

My KVM setup

This KVM is perfect for old system like this. The only problem I had, was that the ps-2 universal mouse won't work with the 386 pc's serial port. I'm pretty sure it is the adapter's fault. So although the KVM would switch a ps-2 mouse, I have to have both mice available depending on the PC in...
  12. B

WTB: late model 386 motherboard

Here's a good one It's very similar to the board I have. It's NOS, which is an amazing find. It has the soldered in Ni-Cad battery, so I'd want to be sure it is ok. My board still has its Ni-Cad, and is keeping good time to boot. I have the parts to replace it when I get around to it. This...
  13. B

Discovered 386 PC in my basement that I thought was lost in move of 1998!

My latest kick is to import pictures that I have. I take normal large format pictures (jpegs) and transform them with XnView graphics software to 16 color by 640X480 dpi format with Bayer Dithering. Then I save them as bmps. I have this picture I took at a car show for my wallpaper now: I...
  14. B

I thought it would be interesting just to TRY the internet on this old 386, so I installed Netscape Communicator 4.04 (This is Windows 3.11) with a 640 x 480 screen with 16 colors! So here's the result: To say it is slow is an understatement. I'll have to see if there are any safe text type...
  15. B

So I bought a PCI 486 board...

I tried the suggested speedups. It did help turning off javascript, but not that much, at least not for this website. Using the native Windows appearance didn't change much either. If you want to go to an old-fashioned website, that is pretty friendly with old computers, you can try mine. I...
  16. B

I'm becoming a magnet for old PCs

Word is starting to get out that I have an old computer hobby. Just got a Dell Inspiron 1501 notebook donated from my sister-n-law. She's gone tablet. The Inspiron is quite an education on the horrible stuff Dell used to foist on unsuspecting buyers. Even though it was purchased in '06/'07...
  17. B

Thanks luvit! :) You're sort of right about the RAM not making a big difference. Although I have one program "Homebase" which is a pretty hefty Foxpro database program for tracking book collections that used to take FOREVER loading back when I had 4 MB of RAM, but now with 32 MB it loads...
  18. B

Windows 3.1 emulator in your browser

Pretty plain though. Here's my setup: Isn't it strange how Windows 8 is really just a reincarnation of Windows 3.1 and how all those years of having a start button was a mistake?
  19. B

IRQ madness

Before I re-install Windows 95b on my Gateway 2000 with the 486 @ 66mhz and 96MB of Ram and 128k of cache and a Phoenix 4 BIOS, I'm trying to correct a "IRQ allocation error Motherboard function 01" error. The computer has had it for as long as I remember. Windows boots fine anyway. There is...
  20. B

Near Catastrophe

That's true Stone. I will use the CD to do a full install. But I USED the disk to upgrade to 95B originally. It's an OEM disk. Here's a pic of getting on the Internet with IE 5.5, Windows 95b, Gateway 2000, 486 @ 66 Mhz. It took FOREVER! Even with high speed cable internet. I'm even using...
Back