• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. B

1988 386 dual booting MS-DOS 3.3 and PC-MOS! Includes Link's PC-Term terminal

Finally have to let this go. I have it listed on Craigslist here: https://cleveland.craigslist.org/sys/6174088318.html I am in NE Ohio, not too far from Cleveland (Mentor Ohio) close to I-90 Let me know if you have any questions, or make an offer! It's the only vintage PC I have left that's...
  2. B

Are you an Active Collector or a Passive one?

I'm a passive collector. All of my collection consists of old PCs that I bought new and just kept and upgraded etc.
  3. B

Accuracy of RTC in a 386

Now that I have the new battery setup in my AMD 386 mini-tower computer (having 2 CR2032) I expected my time would remain at least as accurate as an old quartz clock. But after not using the computer for a week or so, I noticed the time is about 5 minutes behind. Is this typical of computer...
  4. B

Weird networking problem between WFW and Ubuntu

I have a AMD 386 @ 40 Mhz running Windows 3.11 (Windows for Workgroups) on the home lan, as well as a Dell AMD Turion @ 2ghz running Ubuntu 12.04. When I browse the drives on the 386 machine from the Dell, I can only see directories and files with no extensions (.txt etc.). Nothing else will...
  5. B

Replaced soldered in Ni-cad cmos battery

Welp, I found this replacement battery on fleabay They're brand new and sold by Radio Shack, so it's for a good cause.. ;) I had to remove the motherboard on my mini-tower AMD 386 @ 40Mhz. The ni-cad was mounted too tight to surroundings to snip. I wasn't looking forward to ruffling the...
  6. B

My KVM setup

This KVM is perfect for old system like this. The only problem I had, was that the ps-2 universal mouse won't work with the 386 pc's serial port. I'm pretty sure it is the adapter's fault. So although the KVM would switch a ps-2 mouse, I have to have both mice available depending on the PC in...
  7. B

I'm becoming a magnet for old PCs

Word is starting to get out that I have an old computer hobby. Just got a Dell Inspiron 1501 notebook donated from my sister-n-law. She's gone tablet. The Inspiron is quite an education on the horrible stuff Dell used to foist on unsuspecting buyers. Even though it was purchased in '06/'07...
  8. B

IRQ madness

Before I re-install Windows 95b on my Gateway 2000 with the 486 @ 66mhz and 96MB of Ram and 128k of cache and a Phoenix 4 BIOS, I'm trying to correct a "IRQ allocation error Motherboard function 01" error. The computer has had it for as long as I remember. Windows boots fine anyway. There is...
  9. B

Near Catastrophe

So I had to rob the Windows 95 computer of its Linksys ethernet card to get the little 386 with Windows 3.11 working. I got the replacement card today. (exact same card) and Windows 95 just couldn't install it! Kept freezing up during the device install, needed manual resets, then Windows...
  10. B

Discovered 386 PC in my basement that I thought was lost in move of 1998!

Pretty exciting finding a PC that I thought I pitched when we moved back in 1998. :killcomputer: It's been in an open box all this time with just its beige top showing. It was my wife's first computer, which I bought for her in about 1993. It is a small mini-tower from Micro Experts with an AMD...
  11. B

Increasing memory in a Gateway 2000 486 problem

My Gateway 2000 which has the Anigma mobo is capable of 128 MB in 4 32 MB SIMM slots. With 3 slots filled I have 96 MB and have parity on. Everything functions perfectly. But when I put the 4th simm in, I have to change the parity to off and the BIOS reads all 128 MB. However Windows 95b no...
  12. B

Need 20 pin MFM drive to controller ribbon cable

I can buy one for $18 online, but if anyone has one they can spare for the cost of postage, that would be great! :D One end has the card edge connector and the other end has a 20 (10x2) pin head for the controller card. About 20" in length would be perfect.
  13. B

WTB vintage EGA color monitor

working, good condition, reasonably priced.
  14. B

PC-MOS 4.0 using a mouse and Dos Navigator

I have a functioning mouse in PC-MOS, but I can't seem to get it to work in Dos Navigator 1.51. It works fine in DOS 3.3/Dos Navigator btw. Anyone have any info on using the mouse in software in PC-MOS?
  15. B

Moving off an MFM drive to an IDE drive on a 386 saga.

I've been posting here and there about my 386 computer (Micronics Baby AT Board with 2 MB of RAM, 20 Mhz 386DX, 40 MB MFM drive formatted as RLL to 60 MB on a DTC 7287 RLL controller.) This drive is dual booting with two 32 MB partitions. #1 is MS-DOS 3.3 and had 6 MB of room left. #2 is...
  16. B

Anyone know how to get into setup on a Link Technology PC Term terminal?

I'd like to make some adjustments, but I can't remember how I used to get into setup, nor can I find any info anywhere. I've attached a pic of it. OK, nevermind. I just suddenly remembered. It's ALT-SHIFT-SHIFT pressing ALT, then L. Shift, then R. Shift. It must've still been hiding in the...
  17. B

WTB 16 bit ISA IDE card configured to coexist with MFM controller

This is for a 386 tower that has a working MFM controller (DTC) Need to be able to connect an IDE drive also for backup purposes.
  18. B

Want to ad another hdd to a 386 system running MS Dos 3.30

I have two 16 bit ISA slots available. There is currently a MFM 60 MB hdd divided into two partitions and dual booting 1. DOS and 2. PC-MOS. I would like to be able to back the drives up somehow. From what I can tell, I should be able to install a ISA SCSI hdd controller card and then attach...
  19. B

What's a good sound card?

I want to put it in a Windows 98SE machine which is a Pentium III @ 450MHz. It would be a PCI card. Currently I stole the Soundblaster 16 card that was in the Gateway 2000, but I'd like to put it back in the Gateway if I can find a really good sound card for the PIII machine. I have the...
Back