• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. Cloudschatze

Tandy 1000 RLX and RSX BIOS Modifications

Here are a couple of modifications that I've made to the Tandy 1000 RLX and RSX BIOS ROMs. The primary focus was to update the VGA BIOS, and thereby gain access to additional video modes and compatibility/functionality enhancements that had required the use of a software-loadable video BIOS...
  2. Cloudschatze

A fix for playing Star Control II on the Tandy 1000 RLX and TL/3 systems

If you've ever attempted to play the Accolade-published Star Control II on either of the two Tandy 1000 RLX variants, or the 1000 TL/3, you're likely aware that this has, heretofore, been an impossibility - upon starting the game, the systems-in-question subsequently fail to respond to any and...
  3. Cloudschatze

Super VGA with the Tandy 1000 RLX

Managed to get another RLX annoyance crossed off my list... Both the NCR 77C20 and Acumos AVGA1 video chipsets of the Tandy 1000 RLX-A and RLX-B, respectively, support the lesser Super VGA resolution of 800x600, with 16-colors, at 57Hz. Disappointingly, neither system variant includes video...
  4. Cloudschatze

Issuing a non-data command to an XT IDE drive (Seagate ST-351A/X)?

I have a 40MB Seagate ST-351A/X installed in an XT-class system. Several power-management commands are documented for this drive, including E0h, or Standby Immediate. If configured as Master in an AT-class system, the sequence for issuing this command would be to simply write the E0h byte to...
  5. Cloudschatze

WTB: GeoWorks CD-ROM Manager

Hi Folks, I'm hoping to track-down/obtain the "GeoWorks CD-ROM Manager" disc that was included with the NEC CD-Express and Sony Desktop Library CD-ROM packages. If you have a copy that you might be willing to sell, please let me know.
  6. Cloudschatze

A Trick up Its Sleeve - MIDI with the Tandy PSSJ

Complementing its already capable sound-related functionality, the Tandy PSSJ has yet another, hitherto unknown/uncommon feature: its serial UART is nearly MIDI output compatible, requiring only proper configuration and a simple, passive adapter to provide current-loop and DIN connectivity to a...
  7. Cloudschatze

Windows 3.0 on the Tandy 1000 RL

Here is yet another atypical Tandy 1000 use-case, perhaps to the bane of Deskmate aficionados and sane people the world over. As configured, and with reasonably checked expectations, I'm mostly satisfied with the Windows 3.0 experience on this system. Granted, it's primarly acting as a DOS...
  8. Cloudschatze

Windows 3.x and the Tandy 1000 "PS/2" Mouse Port

The Tandy 1000 RL, RLX, and TL/3 systems feature a "PS/2" mouse port that, while protocol-compatible, isn't accessed in standard PS/2 fashion. Given a lack of documentation, it's also something of a mystery. Support-wise, either CuteMouse or a specific version of Logitech's mouse driver can be...
  9. Cloudschatze

Windows 3.1 on the Tandy 1000 RLX (286 @ 10MHz, 1MB)

Just because you can! :) As alluded to in the video, the tweak that makes the Windows WAV playback even possible is an obscure addition to the [standard] section of Windows' SYSTEM.INI file: FasterModeSwitch=1 Described as follows: Without this switch, WAV playback, either with the SB16...
  10. Cloudschatze

How you *COULD* have been playing Ultima V in 1988...

Origin Systems released Ultima V for the Apple IIe around Q1 1988. Similar to the Atari ST conversions of Ultima III (1986) and IV (1987), and as many folks are aware, the Apple release of Ultima V features rudimentary MIDI music playback support, when used with a Passport MIDI interface card...
  11. Cloudschatze

Help with a pickup-only eBay listing in Jacksonville, FL?

Hi folks, There is a pickup-only listing for an Apple IIe setup in Jacksonville, Florida that I'd like to somehow obtain for a planned VCF Pacific Northwest exhibit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/152708367072 I reached-out to the seller, asking if shipping might be an option, but have not heard...
  12. Cloudschatze

Windows 3.0 on the Tandy 1000 SL

Windows 3.0 on Tandy 1000 systems has never seemed like a particularly worthwhile or interesting endeavor to me. The requirement of running Windows in real-mode on the non-RLX/RSX models presents a bit of a usability challenge, mostly in terms of actual system limitations, but also coupled with...
  13. Cloudschatze

8086 vs. V30 in the Tandy 1000 SL

I recently acquired yet another Tandy system - the 1000 SL. Equipped with an 8 MHz 8086, this is probably one of the easier systems to drop a V30 into, resulting in a measurable increase in overall system performance. Here are a few benchmark comparisons to help quantify the difference between...
  14. Cloudschatze

Creative/Tandy Multimedia Sound Adapter, 849-3030

I'm cross-posting from the Vogons forum, in case this is of interest to anyone here. Behold, the obscure product of a mid-1991 tryst between Creative Technology and Tandy Corporation: Mostly based on the Sound Blaster Pro chipset and design, the Creative-produced "Tandy Multimedia Audio...
  15. Cloudschatze

"Hidden" Composite Output with the Tandy TL/SL

Tandy's 1000 TL and SL systems introduced a number of newer features lacking in predecessor models, while omitting an arguably useful one - composite video output. Interestingly enough, the TL Technical Reference Manual hints that the functionality is indeed available in the "Tandy Video II"...
  16. Cloudschatze

The Little Tandy RLX That Could

Cross-posted from the Vogons forum... Behold! The (almost) MPC-compliant Tandy 1000! It slices! It dices! It's totally silent! It's Wi-Fi Ethernet and VoIP connected! It can read CD-RW discs! SuperTANDY RLX Ready to get its phreak on! Secret Sauce CPU: AMD 286 @ 10MHz MEMORY: 640K...
  17. Cloudschatze

The Modem Who Would Be King

The tiny, 32-character LCD on Diamond's SupraSonic modem provides a boatload of realtime information, and humorously displays an incremental "RINGY DINGY" when the modem is dialed (S194 register), but can also be manipulated to mimic the display behavior of Roland's MT-32/D-10/D-110 synthesizers...
  18. Cloudschatze

Wireless RS-232 w/analog modem

I recently added an external modem to my Tandy 1000 RLX setup, and have been researching and experimenting with various (outlandish) means of dealing with the problem of not having a phone-line installed in my studio/computer room. One such solution involves a wireless RS-232 connection, whereby...
  19. Cloudschatze

Wanted: RTX DUALjack wireless phone jack extension

RTX introduced a product back in 2006 called the "DUALjack" that, unlike other "wireless" telephone extension products, actually was, using the 2.4GHz band for communication between the two units. http://www.amazon.com/RTX-RTX3241S-DUALjack-white/dp/B000I5LU60/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top Like all...
  20. Cloudschatze

Five o'clock shadow

So, here's an odd one. The unpainted metal casing for my Tandy 1000 RSX has always had a more distinct, "duller" finish than say, the comparable RL or RLXs. While looking over the system this evening, I noticed what appeared to be metallic dust on the inside of said casing. On (much) closer...
Back