• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. R

AY-3-8500-1, PONG chip question.

That's the one. Hard-core Atari enthusiasts say it's doing well, but I don't know how reliable they are as a source. I'm not a fan of the new company because it's also into crypto. But hey, new paddles!
  2. R

TRS-80 Pocket Computer WAV, BAS, IMG - 26-3530 Horse Race Analyst Software Package

There are still many dozens of horse racing tracks in America from New York to California. It's a $3.5 billion industry that employs close to four million people. Betting on horses in America was $12 billion in 2021. I'd say there is certainly a market for this kind of program.
  3. R

AY-3-8500-1, PONG chip question.

If you get tired of scrounging for working paddle parts (as I did), the latest incarnation of Atari started making new paddles at the end of last year. I got a pair for Christmas, and they're surprisingly good.
  4. R

Composite Video

The Atari VCS doesn't output composite. It outputs RF. It can be modified to add composite output, but that requires adding a bunch of circuitry to the machine.
  5. R

How were VAX/VMS systems deployed during their heyday in the 1980's?

I'm late to the discussion, but at one time I worked for a large three-letter broadcast network, and there was a VAX at each company-owned station. It was used by the Accounting department and to schedule commercials (the "Traffic" department). I never used it directly, but was the daily...
  6. R

IBM 5140 PC Convertible Recap and More

I'm of zero help to you with hardware, but I am the former owner of one of these machines. So my advice to you is to find a program that will let you run EGA programs on the Convertible. I think it was called something like SimEGA. I used it to play SimCity on my Convertible, even though the...
  7. R

RUN/CPM/Z80 Card for the IBM PC

I thought the IBM PC could run CP/M natively. Why did people produce Z-80 cards for it? Was there software available for Z-80 CP/M machines that wouldn't work on the 8088 CP/M?
  8. R

Google Groups Cromemco Group Seems Challenging To Join. Help Requested!

It's just sad how much vintage computer information is locked up in proprietary, arbitrary systems like Google Groups, or worse — Facebook. Few people realize that they're an "AI" hiccup away from being permanently locked out of these companies. Thankfully, people still post manuals to...
  9. R

All of Asia Apple Newton Keyboard to USB converter adapter

Do you mind if I ask who the intended audience is for this item? Was the Newton keyboard so good that people want to use it on a full-size computer? Or is it intended to interface with some other piece of portable electronics?
  10. R

Midwest KIM-Uno (KIM-1 hardware emulator) DIY KITS are available - $21.00

Any thought about selling assembled units? What do you think the price would be for something like that?
  11. R

Commodore BBS Scene

Thanks. I'll put that in a list to look at another day. Honestly, I don't care enough to go through all of that, assuming it even works. (My experience compiling things from GitHub is that it rarely "just works.") I have too many other things to tinker with. Since you've already done this...
  12. R

Commodore BBS Scene

Unfortunately, CG Term crashes on startup on the latest macOS. And CCGMSx does not have a Macintosh version.
  13. R

Model 100 PCSG / Holmes Engineering Chipmunk software disk imaged.

Good luck with your project. It's been a number of years since anyone made a solid state replacement for the 100's disk drive. The last one that I remember involved a bunch of wires and an Android phone. Obviously, not ideal; and not nearly as elegant as most floppy drive replacements like...
  14. R

WYSE-60 Dumb Terminal CRT - ghosting/trails ?

That's a feature, not a bug. The "ghosting" is an artifact of the screen (I think it's the coating) having a long decay time, so the tube can have a slow refresh rate, which helps reduce eye strain on the user. I used to use one of those terminals at a job long ago, and find it quite nice...
  15. R

ARB BBS V7.60

Sorry, I don't have the software you're looking for. But I do have an interest in ARB. Do you know if there's a place on the internet for ARB? Do you mind if I ask about your interest in it?
  16. R

Anyone repair TRS-80 Model 100s?

I'm trying to find out if there is anyone left who can repair a TRS-80 Model 100. I have one with some power issues that I'd rather have fixed than buy another one.
  17. R

Zork on a TRS-80 Model 100?

Any thoughts on how to play Zork on a TRS-80 Model 100? I'm 99% certain an official port was never made. Googling around I found that about ten years ago someone was trying to port CP/M to the 100, but I couldn't find any information on whether the effort was successful or not. And even with...
Back