• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. H

Repairing the Locking Mechanism in an Epson SD-600 Floppy Disk Drive

I tried fixing the problem with a couple of zip ties and while it kinda works, I am unable to tighten the zip ties as much as needed. As a result, the mechanism doesn't lock up fully and lets go as soon as you release the lever. Maybe I'll try loctite next but since it's cracked on both sides...
  2. H

Repairing the Locking Mechanism in an Epson SD-600 Floppy Disk Drive

Same drive, same problem. Maybe someone can 3D print a new part? I just can't do 3D modelling for sh*t...
  3. H

Southern Europe WTB: SIPP modules within EU

I might just do that, thanks! :-)
  4. H

Southern Europe Amber monitor

I recently sold an amber monitor for 80€ locally. Just to give you an idea of what to expect pricewise.
  5. H

Southern Europe WTB: SIPP modules within EU

i'm looking to buy two or four identical SIPP modules, 256K (set of four) or 1M (set of two or four) regardless, as long as they're cheap and located in the EU. I need them to test a 286 board. Cheers
  6. H

Advantech PCA-6003 single board computer won't boot

Last year I picked up a PCA-6003 single board computer from the recyclers along with the PCA-6108P4-C base board. I found that two 1000uF 10V capacitors on the card itself were bad so I replaced them. However, when I plug in an ATX power supply, the system turns on as soon as the PSU on/off...
  7. H

PC 5.25" floppy disk drive repair

Does anyone here have experience fixing floppy disk drives? I have two 1.2MB 5.25" disk drives that are faulty. The Mitsumi's head moves back and forth during boot but the spindle motor doesn't spin. I can move it by hand no problem. The second drive is a Teac FD-55GFR and this one also...
  8. H

Dolch C-P.A.C. 386-33C (DP386-33C) portable system LCD problem

Hey guys, I don't really know where to post it, here or in Tech. Support but here goes. I bought the abovementioned computer knowing that there's some kind of a problem with the LCD. Received it today and can confirm that the LCD backlight turns on but the screen is all white. However, the...
  9. H

Advantech PCA-6003 single board computer troubles

A few days ago I picked up a PCA-6003 single board computer from the recyclers along with the PCA-6108P4-C base board. I found that two 1000uF 10V capacitors on the card itself were bad so I replaced them. However, when I plug in an ATX power supply, the system turns on as soon as the PSU on/off...
  10. H

Toshiba Satellite 2100CDS LCD upgrade

Hi all, I picked up a nice Toshiba Satellite 2100CDS laptop about a year ago at the flea market. It works but a horrible DSTN screen. I know Toshiba also sold laptops with TFT screens marked CDT so the question is, can I just swap out the screens between models? Mine has a 400 MHz AMD K6-2, a...
  11. H

SyQuest SQ3270A IDE drive trouble

I'm trying to test a SQ3270A disk drive on a socket 7 motherboard. I connected the drive as secondary master and jumpered it accordingly. Autodetect correctly identifies it as SQ3270A. Now for the problem. I have four 270MB disks and the drive acts the same with all four. It spins up then goes...
  12. H

PC Chips EGA 8618 card dip swith settings

Hi guys, I have an enigma on my hands. Since I'm lacking a proper EGA monitor, I'd like to test this EGA card with a monochrome monitor (NEC JB-1285DE). The problem is, I don't have the manual and I can't find the dip switch settings anywhere online. Can anyone help? Cheers SainT
  13. H

TEAC FD-55GFR 7193-U won't read or write

Yes, the spindle is turning.
  14. H

TEAC FD-55GFR 7193-U won't read or write

Hi, I recently pulled the drive from storage only to find out that it doesn't work. When I try to access the drive I get "General failure reading drive B:". I cleaned both, the rails and the heads. During boot, the LED does light up and I can see the head move correctly back and forth all the...
  15. H

XTIDE tech support thread

I gave up and stuck the chip in a programmer, erased it, wrote the V20 ROM with "Skip Write 0xFF" unchecked. I tested this in my XT and it works when there's no CF card present. It correctly detects Not found for both Master and Slave and proceeds to boot from a floppy. When I insert a compact...
  16. H

1701 Unformatted hard disk (PC XT clone)

I already wrote about this project in another thread but since this is a separate problem, I prefer to talk about it here. Several months ago I reassembled my first PC (XT clone) and I'm getting 1701 UNFORMATTED HARD DISK error while booting from the hard drive. All I can do is low-level format...
  17. H

5.25" floppy cable for XT build

In my XT the floppy controller is on the I/O card and it's using an edge connector. How do I go about making my own cable? I have lots of normal floppy cables lying around so I can cannibalise one. The floppy controller is a UM8272A.
  18. H

XT clone motherboard - blown up capacitor + questions

Reading through the documentation of several other WDC MFM controllers, I came across some interesting info. If motherboard's BIOS is used to define HDD parameters, the BIOS on the card is not used and vice versa. I couldn't find the model number or manual for the card that I used with the 286...
  19. H

XT clone motherboard - blown up capacitor + questions

After about 20 years of not using it, I picked up my parent's XT and brought it home. As soon as I turned it on, one of the orange caps near the keyboard connector just blew up. It's marked C8 and lies between the keyboard connector and JP4 2-pin connector. The only markings on the caps C6-C9...
  20. H

5.25" Panasonic JU-475-4AK0 problem/repair?

Hi guys, I have this Panasonic JU-475-4AK0 floppy drive here that just refuses to cooperate. It's one of the three identical floppy drives that I have and the only one that doesn't work. On one machine I can't even switch to B: without getting a "General failure reading drive B:". So I...
Back