• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. M

Retro computers not to miss in D.C. area?

I'll have some spare time in the D.C. area in February. Is there anything retro-computer related in the area that I should be sure not to miss? Also, any good surplus or similar kinds of places would be great to know about. Thanks, Matthew
  2. M

How to write a floppy disk from an image file on a Compaq Portable III?

I have a Compaq Portable III and the system defaults to 1.2MB floppy drive after losing its settings (replace the battery for the clock chip DS1285). I would like to have a bootable Diagnostic floppy for a Compaq Portable III (286 CPU), for which I have downloaded (from archive.org) the 720K...
  3. M

Convert 720K disk image to 1.2M disk image?

Does anyone know the magic incantation to get dskconv to convert a 720K disk image to 1.2M disk image? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the program and it cannot actually do this kind of thing? Without any -format option, the output is the same size as the input. As soon as I specify "-format...
  4. M

Looking for Compaq Portable III Technical Reference

I'm restoring a Compaq Portable III and was hoping to find the Technical Reference online somewhere. Primarily I would like technical details and the pin-out to the expansion header on the back, but the whole reference manual would be nice. This system is 286-based, just to avoid any confusion...
  5. M

FS / Make Offer: nVidia Quadro 4000, 2x ATI FirePro V8800

I have two ATI FirePro V8800 graphics cards, and one nVidia Quadro 4000. Make offer. I prefer shipping via USPS flat rate box, but I'm flexible (origin zip code: 32708)
  6. M

FS: SunBlade 2000 - $60 obo - moving - must sell!

I really need to find a new home for this SunBlade 2000 computer. Works great, see photos, as questions. I would like to get $60, or make an offer. I would prefer a local pickup (SoCal, L.A. area), but I'll ship to where ever you want to pay for it. This is a *big* system. Weight is 55...
  7. M

FS: SunBlade 2000 workstation

I have a SunBlade 2000 workstation with a single CHE1200 CPU, 5GB RAM, and a 72GB 10,000 RPM drive. The video card is the XVR-100 (ATI Radeon based, DVI and VGA outputs). Comes with the Sun USB keyboard. Runs Solaris 10 (currently installed), but FreeBSD also supports SPARC64, and I'm sure...
  8. M

9-track magnetic tape unit maintenance and operation?

I finally managed to get a 9-track tape unit, a re-branded CDC 92185, and I spent the weekend cleaning it up and replacing the deteriorated foam (full of 1-inch foam to help with noise, I suspect). Being a new tape unit owner, I'm now full of questions. So I cleaned the tape path as per the...
  9. M

PDP-11 Value?

I have been looking for a PDP-11 for a while and I might have a chance to get one. Aside from the desire to get my hands on real hardware, I'm finding it hard to figure out a *fair* price for a CPU or other components like disk drives or tape units. Sometimes I see prices in the multiple...
  10. M

WTB: HP 264x terminal keyboards and / or cables

I'm looking for a keyboard or two for an HP 264x (2645A, 2647A/F, 2648A, etc.) terminal, or any interconnect cables. If anyone has any of this kind of hardware you are willing to trade or sell, please let me know. Thanks, Matthew
  11. M

HP 2647F Terminal Keyboards?

I picked up a pair of HP 2647F Terminals, but they do not have their keyboards. The seller is a liquidator / recycle company, and apparently they split everything that comes in the door into separate pieces to "maximize their profit"... Grr. So, the terminal, keyboard, external floppy, and...
  12. M

GRID / GRIDCASE 1520 need setup and info

Hello, I'm a new owner of a GRID 1520 and of course the battery in the DS1287A RTC chip that holds the setup info has died (probably a long time ago). So I need to get my hands on the setup utility to reconfigure the options, but there seems to be a vacuum of information online about these...
  13. M

Wanted: TRS-80 Model 100 102 LCD or parts

Edit: !@#$% I just realized there is a "wanted" forum. Sorry. Can I move this post? I need a replacement LCD for my TRS-80 Model 100 (same LCD is in the 102), or a Model 100 or 102 that is not working that I could use for parts (the LCD mainly). Seems these are getting really hard to come...
  14. M

Apple IIc monochrome monitor help

I have a IIc monochrome monitor and it has a slow (about 2 or 3 seconds) horizontal wave that moves vertically down the screen. My first thought was to recap the monitor, so I ordered the caps and did the job. I replaced all the caps with the same farad rating, equal or higher voltage rating...
  15. M

Recognizing an ACB-4000A SCSI device?

Greetings, I need to back up an ST-225 that currently has an Adaptec ACB-4000A card attached to the bottom. I had never heard of such a thing but once I learned it was an "Winchester" to SCSI adapter I though "no problem", SCSI is backwards compatible, and I just happened to have a PCI host...
Back