• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. I

Osborne 1

So I just picked one up for free on craigslist. I got it home and hooked it up, and when I turn it on, there's a short, quiet beep followed by a click, like a floppy drive trying to read a disk, but only one click. Then, nothing. Blank screen, no fan running, nothing. Suggestions?
  2. I

Tandy 1000HX

Yeah, so I just got one. Pretty much the first thing I did when I got home was tested the composite output. It seems to work fine, except that the colors are all messed up. The big blue box when you turn it on, but the gray text is all rainbow colored. Maybe it's just my TV, though. Anyway...
  3. I

Elks

ELKS (Embeddable Linux Kernel System) is a form of linux, with a modified kernel IIRC, that is designed to run on 8088's and 8086's. I've got a picture of it running on my XT. I haven't gotten much chance to play around with it, though. I think it said somewhere on the site that 512KB of RAM...
  4. I

Compaq portable problems (though I doubt they're machine specific)

Well, I was going to post here about my enter key not working, but now I have bigger problems... I just plugged it in and turned it on, and I heard a spark, and now the thing smells worse than it did before (It's always kinda smelled when I turned it on)... I turned it off immediately, of...
  5. I

IBM 5201 Quietwriter

I got one my aunt was going to sell at a yard sale. It was my grandpa's, probably bought along with his PC , which is now (a few years ago), unfortunately, gone, off to goodwill or something... Anyway, I got it to print out "Hi!", and it came out VERY dark, like it was brand new, but now all...
  6. I

IBM PS/1 problem

My PS/1 won't boot. I can't figure out what's wrong with it. I turn it on, the HDD and PSU fan start spinning, but that's it. No video, no beeps. It won't even try to boot from a floppy, even when I disconnect the HDD. Another weird thing is that my printer goes offline when I turn on the...
  7. I

A couple questions...

So first off, does anyone remember me? :p Anyway, since I was last here, I've gotten a few more vintage computers :) I got another XT. It's like that ^, 324? MB of ram, HDD, monochrome video card. I got a monitor + keyboard with this one. The keyboard's kinda weird. The ESC is where...
  8. I

Computer from scratch

I'm working on designs for a simple adder from transistors and a breadboard, to help learn how computers work on the lowest level. I want to include RAM, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to make my own RAM. Size is not too much of a limitation, since I'm only going to use 12 bits. Any...
  9. I

8-bit ISA modems and a hard drive at goodwill

Goodwill recently started getting in a lot of old ISA cards. Most are 16-bit, but there are 2 8-bit modems that look brand new, with no dust or anything on them. There's also an "AT-compatible" 255.9MB hard drive, which is the shape and size of a modern 3.5" hard drive. All the computer parts...
  10. I

XT monitor?

I was just at goodwill, and got an XT from a guy who was about to donate it, for free! Unfortunately, it was only the computer; It came with no monitor or keyboard. The only ports on the back are a parallel port and a female serial port (?), and the keyboard port. I have a few...
  11. I

Hey

Hi, I recently got a Compaq Portable from my uncle :) No software, or even DOS, so I came here mainly to see if anyone knew where I could get a DOS disk, and also because I was bored :p. This looks like a pretty fun place, though. Anyway, I like programming stuff in general, but I never...
Back