• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. R

Computer Logics Emulator Card 3003

I recently picked up an old Sperry HT. In it was a card that I had never seen before. A Computer Logics Emulator Card 3003. I've searched the web, and while there were more than a few people trying to sell one, none of them had any information on what it was. It has a Z8530APS-SCC (Serial...
  2. R

NuXT - boot from 360K floppy drive - solved

I recently got a NuXT (ya, I know it's not vintage, but it is for all intents and purposes). I pulled a 5.25" 360K floppy drive out of my spare parts box and installed it. The drive works fine. FORMAT shows no errors. SYS A: shows no errors. ATTRIB A:*.* shows all the correct files. But...
  3. R

Flyback transformer question

So I pulled my Sperry Portable down to play with it and the screen wouldn't light up. It would boot up, but nothing would display. It did work the last time I had it on the table (about 3 weeks ago). I verified that the power supply is feeding a good 12VDC to the video board. A visual...
  4. R

Commodore Plus/4 heat sink recommendations

So my Plus/4 is working nicely. - CPU replaced by a modern replacement (so it's not a soon-to-fail 7501 or 8501). - The Pi1541 issue is resolved (it's so nice to have that working). Now it's time to future proof some stuff - especially since I'm having so much fun playing with it. The TED chip...
  5. R

Commodore Plus/4 - Diagnosing problem

I recently picked up a nice (looking) condition Commodore Plus/4 and I've been trying to get it working. I've replaced the TED and PLA. I'm waiting for a CPU replacement. It powers on and I get something on the screen (Commodore 1702 display using the Luma/Chroma inputs), but it sort of looks...
  6. R

Monochrome display card with MDA/CGA/EGA to VGA converter problems

Back story: I'm restoring an old IBM-XT clone and I need to hook it up to a more modern display that only has VGA. So I picked up a MDA/CGA/EGA to VGA converter (https://sites.google.com/site/tandycocoloco/mda-cga-ega-to-vga). It works pretty good. The computer came with a display card that I...
  7. R

Tandy 1400LT display question

Playing with my Tandy 1400LT, and I notice that when the floppy drive is active, the screen backlight dims a bit. Is that normal? Or should I be checking out the capacitors more thoroughly the next time I have it open? Note that this is on AC power, not battery.
  8. R

TRS-80 Model 4P RAM question

So I'm finally getting around to working on my model 4P. According to what I've been reading, the issue that I have is that some of the RAM is bad. The chips are labelled: 8040665 FQD8446, but 2 are 8040665 TQD8446 My question is: Are those really the same? If I picked up some TQD8446 chips...
  9. R

Reading/writing diskettes on modern hardware for vintage hardware

So I actually had some time today and I finally got both my Tandy 1100FD floppy drives cleaned up. They both format diskettes without error and I can write and read files without any error. I have a USB/Floppy drive that I picked up at a garage sale, but when I try to read the diskettes...
Back