• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. CommodoreZ

VCF East this weekend! Who’s coming???

Coming from just under 4 hours away, really looking forward to it. This will be my 12th East. See you there!
  2. CommodoreZ

What was the excitement of your first PC?

I don't think any of the options in the poll really apply to me. When I was given my first computer (an AST Bravo LC 4/66d) the excitement came from having a computer that I had domain over. I didn't have to share my dad's computer, since he was using it for work. Sure, I didn't have a...
  3. CommodoreZ

Ohio Scientific 440 Video Board

Updating this long forgotten post because it seems my old image links got clobbered, and I can't edit the old post to re-add them. C'est la vie. I asked around in a few communities that might have seen what I was talking about, and so far I have found all of one example of a 440 connected to a...
  4. CommodoreZ

You know what seems to be extra rare? Pentium II and III Xeons.

For the longest time, my dad had a Pentium II at 350MHz being used as his main computer, and eventually relegated to his film scanner rig because it had a SCSI interface. He got it with 98 to start with, then he upgraded it to 2000, and eventually XP Pro. It stayed in service like that well...
  5. CommodoreZ

You know what seems to be extra rare? Pentium II and III Xeons.

There was a time a few years ago when some NIB Slot 2 Pentium II Xeons were showing up on ebay, so I snagged one. I talked a friend about them, and supposedly he might have a Slot 2 motherboard floating around, because I'd love to play with it and see what it can do.
  6. CommodoreZ

What happened to old-computers.com?

As did I when it went dark initially, but those emails were part of old-computers.com so I don't know if they were also broken as a result. I'm not sure if everyone here remembers when old-computers.com had both a forum section and a collectors area for users to post collections, and statuses...
  7. CommodoreZ

By any chance are you one of the two admins of the site? If so, please know that even for an old website, it's beloved by many, and a modernized server instance with the same content would certainly be welcomed by many who have come to appreciate it.
  8. CommodoreZ

Last week I noticed that old-computers.com was down. Then a day later, I was asked if I knew why. I started asking my other friends if they had heard anything -- nada. Considering it was an important web resource when I got into the hobby back in 2004, I'm curious if anyone knows what...
  9. CommodoreZ

VCF Midwest - who's going?

This seems like the most appropriate thread to post a link to my VCF Midwest photo gallery. Enjoy! https://www.commodorez.com/VCFMW18/ As for power, line conditioners and UPSs won the day at VCFMW, assuming you had equipment sensitive to the power drop. I'm considering packing one for future...
  10. CommodoreZ

Many folks selling things who brought alot to sell have modern methods of accepting payment, not just cash. However, cash is usually the best way to go. As for parking, if you lose your spot, don't expect to get it back so easily during the busiest hours. My friends borrowed my car mid-day...
  11. CommodoreZ

What are you running on your machines?

The short answer for most everything I tend to focus on is play games and tinker in BASIC. Typically, when I want to play with a VIC-20, I pick one off the shelf, plug it in, attach a few peripherals, and load up one of a few pieces of software: a game, a terminal program, test a new add-on, or...
  12. CommodoreZ

I'll be driving out with a trunk full of exhibit. See y'all there!
  13. CommodoreZ

Computer History Documentaries

That's a good list, thank you! I'll give some of these a shot.
  14. CommodoreZ

Indeed, Computer Chronicles is very enjoyable. I've seen clips of a few episodes, and a few complete episodes over the years -- even got a chance to meet Stewart Cheifet once at VCF East, nice guy! Speaking of PBS, Nova had a good episode in 1990 called "The KGB, The Computer and Me", which...
  15. CommodoreZ

I'm searching for a specific, formative computer history documentary from my youth. I've been trying to figure out what on earth it was that I watched in June of 2004 that started me down the path of this hobby. Memories are fuzzy, but I remember my 8th grade computer science teacher putting...
  16. CommodoreZ

Are computer museums 'bad'?

In terms of interactivity, I've noticed many computer museums I've visited tend to do alright. I certainly think they're a "good thing" and I would much rather these than everything being in private hands. Computer History Museum is mostly behind glass, but they're also giving you a very broad...
  17. CommodoreZ

Ohio Scientific 440 Video Board

Recently at VCF East, I purchased a pair of OSI boards: a 440 video board, and a 420c 4K RAM expansion. I've seen references in the documentation of how the 420c can be used to supplement the memory of the 440, enabling pixel graphics, not just 32x32 text. I've been looking for photos of what...
  18. CommodoreZ

VCF East 2023 Photos

Excellent photos and write up, I appreciate you taking the time to document your perspective on the event. I didn't see any other photo galleries posted here yet, so forgive me if I'm hijacking your thread. Here's my photo set from VCF East this year: https://www.commodorez.com/VCFEXVIII/
  19. CommodoreZ

VGA capture

VGA capture is a real pain... So far I've tried it a few ways: 1: Converting first with a Gefen VGA to DVI Scaler Plus, selecting a resolution I like, then passively converting to HDMI. After that, capture is done by a cheap generic HDMI to USB 2.0 device, and the results look pretty...
  20. CommodoreZ

Rainbow vic-20 (cr)

I've seen all sorts of VIC-20s with parts mixing and matching between the different distinct eras of hardware. I wish I had a concrete answer for you on the ratio of 1001006 vs 324004 vs 250403 boards, but I don't think anyone is going to have a concrete answer that they can actually cite with...
Back