• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. CommodoreZ

What happened to old-computers.com?

Last week I noticed that old-computers.com was down. Then a day later, I was asked if I knew why. I started asking my other friends if they had heard anything -- nada. Considering it was an important web resource when I got into the hobby back in 2004, I'm curious if anyone knows what...
  2. CommodoreZ

Computer History Documentaries

I'm searching for a specific, formative computer history documentary from my youth. I've been trying to figure out what on earth it was that I watched in June of 2004 that started me down the path of this hobby. Memories are fuzzy, but I remember my 8th grade computer science teacher putting...
  3. CommodoreZ

Ohio Scientific 440 Video Board

Recently at VCF East, I purchased a pair of OSI boards: a 440 video board, and a 420c 4K RAM expansion. I've seen references in the documentation of how the 420c can be used to supplement the memory of the 440, enabling pixel graphics, not just 32x32 text. I've been looking for photos of what...
  4. CommodoreZ

Photos of 1970s Homebrew Computer Setups

To get a better idea of what the common homebrew or kit computer enthusiast was working with in the 1970s, I've been on the search for photographs of the workspaces and computers of the era. Preferably photos taken during the 70s, or perhaps the 80s that show how they were arranged and what...
  5. CommodoreZ

VIC-20 16K Prototype

Howdy, A few weeks ago at VCF East, I spoke with Robert "Bob" Russell, one of the VIC Commandos. I don't know what convinced him to do so, but he gave me a pair of later VIC-20 prototype boards. First, the 16K VIC-20 Prototype. This machine is an internal prototype from Commodore of a VIC-20...
  6. CommodoreZ

Data General Nova 1200

I finally joined the minicomputer club with a Data General Nova 1200, populated with a CPU board, 4x 8KW core memory boards (for a full 32KW on board), and a CompuScan OEM I/O board. The guts of the front panel exposed, showing C&K switches and fancy incandescent bulbs. It's a beautiful...
  7. CommodoreZ

VIC-20 Power Regulator Modernization Experiment

A few years ago, I acquired a pile of VIC-20s in various states of disrepair, some relegated to parts machines. Using chips harvested from dead 1541 drives, an NOS C16 keyboard, and a few other bits and pieces, I was able to build one functional VIC to add to my collection. A frankenVIC if you...
  8. CommodoreZ

Seeking info on the Decitek Paper Tape Reader/Punch

I acquired a Decitek paper tape reader and punch at VCFMW this year. Problem is that I have zero documentation on the device. It uses a DA-15 connector with pin 8 connected to ground, and pin 6 holding steady at 7VDC. No other conductors on the connector are wired up, and no additional I/O...
  9. CommodoreZ

C64 RAM Problem Fixed 8+ Years Later

Way back in 2009, a younger, less experience me took a crack at fixing a certain Commodore 64 in my collection. It arrived via a kindly couple who spotted it on a walk through the neighborhood and knew I would like it -- too bad it was broken. I had just fried my main C64 pretty severely, so...
  10. CommodoreZ

PET 2001-32N Nonlinear Picture

Hey y'all, I set up my PET 2001-32N for the first time in awhile, and with newfound confidence, I decided to tackle the issues plaguing the unit. The most glaring of which were the following: The picture feed on the display would drop out, and come back with a smack (figured it was a solder...
  11. CommodoreZ

Motorola 6845 - Which deployment looks best?

Greetings. I've been reading up on the usage of the MC6845 CRT Controller, and I was amazed at the wide variety of machines that put this chip to use. Most deployments generate simple composite video output for use with generic monitors and televisions. Some tend to use them with TTL CGA...
  12. CommodoreZ

MM5740 Keyboard Encoder

I've been studying the terminal logic board from a Heathkit H19 terminal, and the MM5740 Keyboard Encoder that it uses to convert the keyboard matrix into usable signals. However, I understand that the Apple I and II used this same encoder, and I wouldn't be surprised if more machines also used...
  13. CommodoreZ

New Acquisition: PET 2001-32N

I had the fortune of acquiring a PET 2001-32N recently in functioning condition. Needless to say I'm happy to have one! However, I have plenty to learn since this is my first extensive interaction. I can enter stuff into BASIC which runs fine, but I have yet to exhaustively test it (more on...
  14. CommodoreZ

Oscilloscope Recommendations

It seems that I find myself borrowing an oscilloscope more and more frequently (it was instrumental in reviving my H89). However, I think I've reached the point where I just need to buckle down and buy one of my own. Therefore I'm curious as to what kinds of scopes y'all have found to be the...
  15. CommodoreZ

Heathkit H89- TX Low Voltage

Greetings! I wasn't sure where to post this, so here's my best guess For some time now, I've been putting off the next stage in bringing my Heathkit H89 back up to working status. The folks over at the SEBHC were most instrumental at helping me revive it over a month or so. After several...
  16. CommodoreZ

Identifying an Apple ][ board

Greetings! It's been awhile since I posted. Seems that a friend of mine gave me a present from his house as they were cleaning it out before moving. To my surprise, it was an Apple II motherboard in surprisingly good condition. Dust was minimal, and there was only one dead ladybug stuck to...
  17. CommodoreZ

Macintosh Classic II!

I've got to be cutting back on a few things that I don't touch for an upcoming move. Long story short, I need to find a home for my Macintosh Classic II. First what I know about it: It doesn't do anything when you plug it in and turn it on. I opened the case once to see why, and I seem to...
  18. CommodoreZ

Guess what I spotted in a KSP mod today...

I download a simple mod today for Kerbal Space Program, so that I would have a real cockpit view for the Mk2 cockpit. So, I went to test it out, and I spotted this: http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/452905737219051053/53678825B194C7A3090D55B39006AABC354121EE/ Is that a Commodore PET 2001's...
  19. CommodoreZ

Arakis Systems Digi-Link

I figured that I would post a weird little machine that I scored for free a few years back: an Arrakis Systems Inc. Digital Network Audio Controller Under the hood, it seems to be a heavily customized 386 in a heavy-gauge steel rack mount chassis running DOS (I can't recall the version at...
  20. CommodoreZ

First Programming Language?

So, going to elementary school in later 90s, I was taught LOGO using the Microworlds GUI on what I think were some of the later Macintosh Perfoma series machines. I really wish I could remember more about it. I remember having a lot of fun making the little turtle draw across the screen...
Back