• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. D

Model 1 Level 2 screen full of @

This junk machine has worked recently, but now only boots to a full screen of @ symbols. The only previous problems I had in getting it running had to do with vertical sync, but I had that working, displaying the level 2 basic screen and seemingly working. now just @. Any pointers on what...
  2. D

IMSAI newbie, no idea what I'm looking at

I've had the case and panel for an IMSAI for a while and I just put together a CPU repro board from tindie. the front panel had some bad logic chips and a couple of troublesome switches, the CPU is untested since being assemble by me, and I need help understanding where I stand. I have...
  3. D

Model 16 first power on and disk request

I've had this fairly nice condition model 16 for a while and have never powered it on. it originally powered on fine with a floppy prompt (insert diskette). my plan was to disassemble it immediately after the smoke test. it ran like this for a few minutes, but subsequent power ons gave no...
  4. D

Compupro pickup

I know nothing about this thing, but the S-100 stuff has always fascinated me. This one was supposedly used in a NOAA station back in the day. An old timer on FB marketplace was cleaning out his garage. It has: viasyn pc video 229g, compupro ram22, cpu 8085/88, floppy controller card...
  5. D

Osborne 1 -- internal CRT does not work/power, but external does

totally new to Osborne and I picked up an Osborne 1 and an Osborne Vixen locally this weekend. Seller was the grandson clearing out storage and knew nothing about these machines but he did have them booting and computing. He stated that the internal monitor on the 1 was not working which I...
  6. D

XT-IDE (Texelec SD version) problem with 5150. Any ideas?

IBM 5150, 10/27/82 bios, 256 RAM all good, 2 stock floppy drives with controller card, boots fine and will boot to dos 2.x from floppy. I've been using the Texelec SD XT-IDE boards and have several of them installed in various machines. This includes a 5160 XT and a 5170, both with dos 6.22...
  7. D

Anyone using an XT-IDE in a 1000 TL?

TL had no HD controller. I have the texelec SD version of the XT-IDE. no luck yet. I got the 1000TL setup disk 1 which allows me to modify boot setting (deskmate or dos, I set to dos for this). I see the XT-IDE info upon post. options are A, C, ROM DOS, and something else. dir c: shows...
  8. D

Speed for LED speed meter

Probably a stupid basic question. I have a 486DX I'm setting up and playing with an LED speed indicator for the case. I'm trying to figure out the appropriate speeds to display for normal and turbo. The PC using Norton SI8 shows CPU speed of 16k for turbo and about 5k for normal. these are...
  9. D

1541 with Ramboard and speed pot

I picked up a lot of some commodore junk the other day. The 1541 had a wire coming from the back of the case with a potentiometer in a project box. I opened up the drive to see what it was. the potentiometer is clip-leaded onto a couple of resistors at the front of the drive. I assume it's a...
  10. D

Interesting estate sale today

the listing said the person was an antique radio buff. And I have never seen such a collection of all sorts of tube radios in one place (outside of shango's garage) . As much as I love tube radios, I got distracted by some of the unmentioned computer stuff. An IBM PS/1 was tucked away on a...
  11. D

Hot Wheels PC

Hot Wheels PC from a local estate sale. I picked this up a few months ago and it wouldn't turn on so I put it aside until this past weekend. Celeron, 32mb, no expansion slots. It is in decent physical shape. the only broken part is the plastic gearshift but all the parts are there and can...
  12. D

estate sale pickup

The first picture is from the estate sale online ad. No mention of anything to do with computers, let alone the brand. Also another picture with an Atari 400, no mention/text about what it was. I got the IBM PC Jr, keyboard, monitor, joystick, 6 carts for $30 (missing power supply). And...
  13. D

Need help with Gotek & 386

I have a Gotek (flash floppy) and I'm trying to set up a 386 with MS-DOS 6.22. Target drive is a spinning HDD or preferably a CF card. The 386 has a HDD/floppy controller card and no on-board controller. I'm rusty on this era of PC and rusty on DOS. I booted to a DOS 3.x boot floppy image...
  14. D

Compaq Presario 4122

I picked up a Compaq Presario 4122 Pentium from 1996 from an estate sale for cheap last weekend. It is a little new for my tastes in retro computers, but it is an interesting looking machine and it was only $20 with matching VGA monitor, monitor speakers, and keyboard. It powers on fine and...
  15. D

Ohio Scientific Challenger 4P C4PMF garbage screen

I saw a machine I didn't recognize in a local estate sale listing so I picked it up for $80. It's a OSI Challenger 4P with floppy drive unit. the mainboard is revision 505. I opened it, disconnected power from system board, and verified both outputs are at 5v. I reseated the socketed chips...
  16. D

Macintosh Plus 1Mb question -- boot from floppy emu

I picked up a Macintosh Plus from craigslist. When I got there to pick it up the lady said it just stopped turning on. it would chime but nothing on the screen. She asked if I'd give her $20 for it. has keyboard and mouse and is pretty clean. I change most analog board electrolytics...
  17. D

working on a Model 1 4K Level 1

I've had this minty-fresh pristine machine in my closet for a few years. Had a garbage character screen when I found it. I have it booting to a 'Ready' prompt after a Z80 replacement. I can type in a basic program and it will run. Mostly. it sometimes a acts flaky and will reset the...
  18. D

Cleaned up Model 1 with M1SE/M1RE in EI case

I'm always tinkering with something on my old computers and it's rare that I just set it up in my office for use. I recently took a parts expansion interface which had a cracked case, glued it back together, installed standoffs and put the M1SE and M1RE inside it. 3D printed some port covers...
  19. D

TRS-80 Model 1 mini disk drive termination/resistor pack/dip shunt question

I have a model 1 mini disk drive I'm trying to get working. I have the proper cable and a working EI as well as one working mini disk drive. This drive has the shunt socket and resistor socket like the diagram from the service manual (picture attached), but both are unpopulated. I connected...
  20. D

Model 4 just began displaying a screen full of 09090909

I've been working on a model 4 trying to get the floppy drives working. the computer has worked fine, booted fine until this afternoon. I turned it on and the screen was full of 09090909. Any thoughts on where to look?
Back