• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. E

BIOS dump for Dell Latitude CPI-A 300XT?

I attempted to see if perhaps 7zip could extract the binary like it can with my Lenovo machine's BIOS update EXE's, but alas I was unable to. I used to have a CPi-A, (800x600 model) but I honestly have zero idea where it is, and if I even have it anymore. I will try to look for it, but I don't...
  2. E

PS/2 Model 25 fan wiring

It's official, my room mate decided I can't use my Model 25 at night until I make it quieter. Her bedroom is right next to the desk it's situated at, so I decided I'm going to give it a Noctua upgrade for the fan, something that'll cool better while being quieter. Also they come with a low...
  3. E

Desktop PC Case Airflow

I have a general idea what the best airflow for a tower case is, as hot air rises, but for a desktop case like the one I am using, what would be the best aiflow? This pic is old, but there are now 3x 120mm fans, and 2x 80mm fans on the rear. As seen in my pic, I have the 120's blowing in, and...
  4. E

AMD FX NB vs HT Link Speed

I've always been told that the CPU-NB and HT Link speed should match, but my computer seems to run snappier when my FX-8320's HT link is set to 2600MHz, and the NB left at 2200MHz. In fact, raising the NB in the BIOS has no effect, it always runs at 2200MHz on my board or half the RAM goes...
  5. E

Considering leaving the ham hobby.

I joined the hobby originally for the community, but the more I use it, the more I can't stand those who insult others like "Go back to CB!" or "You sound young, you shouldn't be in this hobby.", etc. Honestly it hurts and when I already suffer from severe depression and got into it to help...
  6. E

PS/2 Model 30 8086 BIOS dump?

I'm doing an experiment with a Model 25 and was wondering if anyone had a BIOS dump of a Model 30, 8086 version? I've been looking online like crazy and haven't found a dump of the 30 or even the 25 (of which I dumped).
  7. E

Model F Keyboard Foam

So I'm doing a bit of research as I'll have my first Model F keyboard on the way, and I'm watching a lot of restoration videos. A lot replace the foam inside, but some apparently omit the foam now. Is the foam required or not? So far, my mindset is, if IBM put it there it must be required, so...
  8. E

New motherboards being shipped with odd DMI data

I haven't built a PC in nearly 17 years, and yesterday I finally built a new computer after using the same machine for my desktop for 13 years (which was pre-built). Well, needless to say I'm a bit confused by the DMI data on this factory fresh motherboard. It's version number is reported as...
  9. E

CDROM Support on ISA Motherboards.

Wow this was certainly an interesting read. I have used many generic IDE CD and DVD drives on my old 286 with a plain as generic IDE controller as well, and support the "BIOS support doesn't matter, it's all in the driver" movement as well. Also, in regard to pin 20, some of my cards have pin...
  10. E

What kind of computer is this?

Watching Seinfeld on TV (the car reservation episode, lol) and I was wondering what kind of computer that is vastly oversized at the counter was? I thought it might be a Tandy.
  11. E

What kind of IC package is this?

This is in my old high school laptop. It's a 256MB SDRAM module. I have never in my life seen RAM with exposed die's quite like this before (except this one). https://i.imgur.com/W37PwGm.jpg What kind of package is that, and have other sticks of RAM ever used one like it?
  12. E

X86 Based Smartphones

A year and a half ago I needed a replacement smartphone, and thought "oh look at these Intel Atom X86 based phones, going dirty cheap!" and got one for a hundred bucks. Today though I regret this decision, it's not entirely slow, it's pretty speedy, it's not great on battery life, but not...
  13. E

XT friendly fax programs

Got a dilemma here. Got a serial port fax modem and my IBM, and need to send a fax, but no program to send them with. It's for my healthcare, and of course, they want us to fax things in, but the local place charges $1.50 per page to send faxes, and it's quite a few pages. Was hoping to be...
  14. E

PS/2 Floppy Drive Repairs

I have never in my life fixed a floppy drive before, but I have fixed cassette decks. I dove head first today, giving up exercise time to repair my model 25's 1.44MB drive. It had been having a lot of issues reading disks, and even formatting them. Even sounding angry on the seek at POST, so...
  15. E

Was hospitalized this month for 3 open heart surgeries

At the beginning of this month, I was air lifted to the hospital from another, as I needed emergency open heart surgery. I had been feeling weak and out of breath, but thought it was asthma. As it turns out, I was 1 day away from dying due to blood cloths in my lungs and heart. I was put on a...
  16. E

IBM PS/2 Model 25 Computerfacts

I have tried to see if this book is even in publication anymore, and I can't seem to find it, either on ebay (by the search term: IBM PS/2 model 25 computerfacts) or anywhere really. I apologize if this isn't allowed, but I figured it can help a lot of people. It has part numbers for memory...
  17. E

I guess my car is haunted.

Apparently my car is haunted, it woke up the neighborhood this morning honking its own horn. Worst of all I can't say it didn't happen, my security camera caught the incident, and it didn't do it once.. It actually did it twice. The second time I went out to see if anyone was breaking into...
  18. E

IBM PS/2 Model 25 Earphone to Line Level (For Trixter)

I made this video primarily for Trixter, but it'll benefit anyone honestly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZdoSKSTpt0 One resistor, 33k ohm, is enough to get it line level. Sorry it took so long to do this! I lost my breadboard, and my carton of resistors, and it took me a while to find them.
  19. E

Hurricane Irma Live Video

If you want, I am hosting a live stream of Irma, from my house here in the Orlando area: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlL4jx1DxT0 I am occasionally turning on my desk microphone to update weather reports and relay NOAA radio when I feel fit. If you are in this area, stay safe people...
  20. E

What computer is this, in the movie Hackers?

I can't find anything on it, even on the website starring the computer. https://i.imgur.com/gDhkdcp.jpg
Back