• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. T

Building a Clone MITS 8800

It's now the only way the board is offered - I think it's a fairly recent change. The board comes w/ a couple chips that are getting hard to find, along with the EPROM. The manual contains a complete BOM that can be used to source the rest of the components. -Kevin
  2. T

Time for more soldering! The 88-2SIOJP board arrived today; most of the parts have arrived already.
  3. T

This looks nice, @wperko Might want to spin your wooden cabinet work up into a different thread? -Kevin
  4. T

Add in the joys of bifocals and tremors in one hand, and things move a bit more slowly. :) But yeah, someone who solders regularly can definitely do this a lot faster than me! -Kevin
  5. T

Oh, only 9 slots, so 900 on connectors on the backplane. Plus the other components. I started counting solder joints on the Interface and Interface controller, got dejected and quit counting. 30+ years ago, I bought an 8oz spool of solder at Radio Shack. I thought I'd never finish that spool...
  6. T

Back to the original point of this thread.... I have an FDC+ on order from Mike Douglas. I've also been in touch with Martin Eberhard and will have an 88-2SIOJP board on order; I've got Jameco, Mouser and Digikey orders placed for all the bits needed to assemble the board. So. Much...
  7. T

Unless someone else chooses to step up and put forth the time and money that Mike has, I would guess you are correct. So Walt is working on the 8800d?
  8. T

Regarding cases and interface boards, I chatted with Mike a bit when I called to pay for my FDC+. In a nutshell, he's been in the case business for 10 years now and it's a hobby. It's time to get out of the case business. As someone who's made a hobby into work before, that resonates with me...
  9. T

I'm not sure. I need to give him a call in the next day or two, and will see if he's willing to share any further detail on the current status of things. -Kevin
  10. T

He offered the cabinets, as well as front panel board sets. You could buy just the boards, just a cabinet, or both. -Kevin
  11. T

CPU board is assembled! Next up is mounting power in the case and running the wiring for it.
  12. T

If I were independently wealthy, I'd be more than willing to front the cost for a run of 50 - 100 cabinets. I'm not, so I'm just happy to have managed to snag what was likely one of the last few! I like what you're doing with the wooden option. I do recall your comments about the splintering...
  13. T

I see Walt replied with what he's working on. In regards to Mike and the metal cabinets he's done, I don't have insight into any plans he does or does not have. -Kevin
  14. T

I heard back from Martin Eberhard, and the 88-2SIOJP is in the works. Of note for others interested, it's now only sold in board form - he's no longer offering them fully assembled. He sells the board plus some of the harder to find bits, and provides the BOM for the rest of it in the...
  15. T

I'd imagine Mike has a good feel for what the demand is, based on how quickly they sell. I'd guess the cash outlay for that minimum order of 50 would be upwards of $10K or more. Can't say I blame him, if the demand isn't very high and it would take him years to sell them all. -Kevin
  16. T

Reading the S100 email list/Google group, sounds like I timed it well on acquiring my Altair case from Mike Douglas. Sounds like he no longer has any inventory. Makes me wonder a bit if I didn't luck into the last one he had. -Kevin
  17. T

Interface.....interface? board is done! I realized later than I would've liked that I didn't have all the sockets I needed, so had to wait for those to arrive. Next up, the CPU board. I actually have parts to build two of them. Also waiting to heard back from Martin Eberhard about an...
  18. T

That's what I have for power supplies, but I was planning on going ahead and installing fuses as well. -Kevin
  19. T

Fuses (PTC type) for the backplane arrived today, so continuing to assemble that. This lead to a lesson - there are two types of S100 connectors. Since I don't have 9 matching ones, I was going to use a mix of my blue and green to make an alternating pattern....only to discover that the rows of...
  20. T

Thanks - I'll add that to the list of things to consider, once I have the base system up and running! -Kevin
Back