• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. S

Model 4 Restoration

We never used duct tape on any products at RS, so the tape on the circuit card on the back of the CRT is someone else's addition.
  2. S

TRS-80 12/16/6000 Restoration story

if you want to make a short harness that plugs into the existing DC harness, the connector you need is a uni-mate 15 position 94V-2, digikey A1463-ND. you'll need to buy the pins for the connector shell which are available at digikey as well. A14300-ND A14298-ND A97892CT-ND you can select...
  3. S

fluxengine and 8" drives

I have it working now with an SA-850 and NF6X's drive cable adapter board. Reads fine, but I haven't yet tried to boot the file. I'll post additional info down the line. Has anyone written up a list of Radio Shack diskette formats (track/sector info) for both the 5 1/4" and 8" operating...
  4. S

fluxengine and 8" drives

anyone use a FluxEngine with 8" drives (SA800 or 850)? i have the fd50to34 board. i'm wondering how head loading is handled and such. thanks!
  5. S

Some service notes for Model II/16 computers

For those who haven’t had the pleasure of aligning a video monitor card in their Model 2/16/etc... This is about the best way to do it. Remove the screws holding the power supply down and then tilt the whole assembly out—you may need to clip some wire ties. I will generally pre insert my...
  6. S

8” systems ps2 keyboard adapter... features?

i’ve got time to finish my adapter and thought i’d ask what features you would you like to see? at the moment it just emulates best it can an 8” systems keyboard, but it could do more. if there’s a feature you’d like let me know; i’ll try and include it.
  7. S

HD64180 Mode Working

Finally had some time to get back to this. Photos attached are of the board working with an HD64180 CPU installed. I'll get going with the Z180 in the next day or so. You may be able to see the dead bug method on the board... I sourced a DIP version of the delay line, but when I got to...
  8. S

Bubble memory and the Model 3

https://hackaday.io/project/170832-magnetic-bubble-memory-makes-a-comeback Bubble memory..... I’ve attached an article that briefly describes how this worked, along with a good photo. This was never in the RS product line.. At the time, my director was Tom King. Tom wrote many of the early...
  9. S

Model II/16 Cursor Generation Video

I’ve been horsing around with the Model 2/16 VDG card and took a look at the CURSOR signal… Maybe you don’t know how the cursor is generated—perhaps you lay awake at night staring at the ceiling pondering this—or, maybe not. :D It isn’t held in video memory, it’s generated by the 6845 CRTC...
  10. S

Found my Model I

Newspaper packing had a date of September 22, 1985. Not exactly standard configuration... A couple of Tandons and a Micropolis drive, not shown.
  11. S

TRS-80 drive realignment experience

so, there are screws to align the stepper and there is a single screw that fixes the stepper band to the head. it’s the latter that we’re talking about. not my best artwork, but you get the idea. just want to make sure we’re taling about the same screw.
  12. S

Docs needed for TRS -80 Model II Disk System

Notes and Jumpers, available in the archive, is an invaluable resource. It's in 2 volumes, the first is text and the second has the graphics. As I recall, only the last drive in the chain requires a terminator. Probably, a terminator in either of yours would suffice, but I'd put it in the...
  13. S

Communication Multiplexer -- 68000 Conversion

Submitted for your approval, one Radio Shack Communication Multiplexer converted to a 68000 system.... An interesting morning... This is the first time in 30 years that I've opened the top of this unit and looked in. Several of these systems were built at RS in various departments. We had...
  14. S

Model 16 Renovation

Thanks! I've been having a good time with it, too... I should have been done with it by now, but I keep taking these tangential excursions and using the M16 as more of a test bed than a restoration at this point. One of these days I'll get back on track and finish it all up, but I'm having...
  15. S

Model 16 Renovation

16. S

Model 16 Renovation

Fixing the Motorola card... I'd been working with the machine when the video failed. Loud whine concurrent with a quick flash at the center of the crt face. My money was on a horizontal output transistor failure. Getting down to it: Pretty tight quarters around the Motorola video card for...
  17. S

Have an extra M16 Motorola CRT card or keyboard REPEAT keycap laying around?

Title pretty much says it all... The Motorola CRT card in my M16 restoration project bit the dust and I'd just as soon not troubleshoot it right now. So if you've got an extra you'd like to get rid of, I'd be interested. As well, I'm missing the REPEAT keycap on my M16 keyboard. If you...
  18. S

Model 16 Renovation

Anyone have a REPEAT key off of a Model II type keyboard they'd be willing to part with? Also wondering if someone would like to trade a 6000 style card extender for a Model II/16 type? Thanks!
  19. S

Model 16 Renovation

Been awhile... Back to it! Let's change out some keyboard pads. In the second photo above, the yellowish disk is the plastic disk that's clipped into the bottom of the well. That's all that remains of the original pad once I scrubbed out the old foam. Removing the plastic disks...
Back