• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. jafir

Weird Intel Windows 3.1

I wonder if those disks are really QD. 7 disks is how many were used with windows 3.1 and HD 1.2MB floppies.
  2. jafir

Run IBM XT or AT diagnostics disk on clone system?

There are other diagnostics out there too. I've got a set of the Landmark service diagnostics on floppy, but they would not work in your scenario, because they seem to only support intel or intel clone CPU for some reason. They would not run on an IBM motherboard I had installed a V20 in.
  3. jafir

Obsolete ICs datasheets

Many times there are catalogs from the manufacturer that have been archived. Bitsavers seems to have quite a few.
  4. jafir

IBM TopView?

Here are the system requirements from my copy:
  5. jafir

Core2Duo vs. Pentium D?

I'm not sure I agree that Windows 95 was terrible. It was pretty amazing when it came out. I remember installing it on my 486 and I was just amazed at how it detected all of the hardware and just worked. I have issues with Windows 10 and Windows 11, and mostly it's because the free or even...
  6. jafir

Keyboards really are terrible today, I think.

Regular Macs are fond of those too. ;) It is one reason I hate MacOS. I like to call them “long cut keys” and I feel like they might give you arthritis.
  7. jafir

ServerWorks and Win2K Server

They have wheels on them, if they are good racks. I've moved fully loaded racks around in a data center a many times. I've even had some shipped fully loaded from one site to another. Normally really heavy things like storage would come racked halfway or 2/3 just to reduce the risk of damage...
  8. jafir

I bought a redragon K605 as a joke because I think it’s hilarious. It’s a 200% keyboard. Almost useless, but I think it might be good if you work wearing welding gloves or something. ;)
  9. jafir

I’ve got two unicomps. One is the old school “big” one in white and the other is their new model M in black. It’s a little smaller. Pencil goes in the normal place:
  10. jafir

Texas Computer Reset in Dallas is still going for just a little while (new LGR video Feb. 2022)

My spare bedroom looks kind of like that. Of course I cheated by using an few items from computer reset.
  11. jafir

Core2Duo vs. Pentium D?

There is also a Pentium dual core that is a better processor than the Pentium D, but not quite as fast as the core2.
  12. jafir

Did MacOS ever have any sort of scripting ability?

Yeah, it looks like you are right. They don't seem to support each other's files: In the techinfo document on the CD is says this: "To transfer Persuasion 4.0 presentations to another platform, you save files from Persuasion 4.0for the Macintosh or for Windows in Persuasion's interchange file...
  13. jafir

Did MacOS ever have any sort of scripting ability?

It looks like the version 4 CD at one of the usual repositories says it's for MacOS and Windows. Perhaps you could use the windows version instead?
  14. jafir

IBM PC Portable 5155 - Did an XTIDE kill my QuadRam Quadboard?

I sent one. I’m not sure if it will work or not, they might be restricted until you have at least 10 posts.
  15. jafir

what modern RAM upgrade cards are there for 16bit AT class machines currently?

I completely forgot about that. Wasn’t I supposed to send you an NEC powermate?
  16. jafir

what modern RAM upgrade cards are there for 16bit AT class machines currently?

I wasn’t aware of any, but then this person posted that they are working on one: https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/memory-board-for-the-ibm-5170.1247571/ I’ve got quite a few “vintage” boards, like the intel above board, rambank at, and a couple of ast card. None of mine were the nice...
  17. jafir

Help with setting up a modem card

What happens if you just open the terminal and try to dial manually, just by typing atdt and the phone number? Maybe the init strings you are using are messing things up because they are not compatible with the modem. It’s frustrating because I no longer have a land line of any sort to “play...
  18. jafir

Can someone help me date my 5150?

Your second photo looks like it had that trace broken (maybe intentional modification?) too, unless I'm seeing it wrong. I only have one 16KB-64KB board and it does not seem to have this modification.
  19. jafir

possible 3D printed replacement parts for Floppy drives Specifically Shugart SA455

I used a little tiny zip tie on a similar type of failure. (I removed the zip tie that is on the cam lobe, it was just there while the glue dried, though I’m not sure the glue really helped, but the other zip tie it still there)
Back