• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. jafir

MDA “clone” without crystal

So someone bumped a thread today where people were talking about the original MDA cards supporting color with a suitable monitor. https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/a-strange-hidden-feature-of-the-ibm-mda-card.62616/ While I was reading it, there was a comment from Chuck wondering if...
  2. jafir

California BP Microsystems EP-1 on eBay

This isn’t mine, but for $30 BIN it seems like a great deal. https://www.ebay.com/itm/374419410410 It’s got a slight lower serial number than mine by about 200 units. Mine is a late revision that can run the lastest firmware. I’m not sure when that changed, but even if it’s the earlier...
  3. jafir

Are there any remotely accessible PC or XT on the internet?

Does anyone know if there are any remotely accessible PC or XT (or clones) on the internet? I’ve seen a few emulators, but so far no real hardware. I’d imagine it wouldn’t be too hard these days. An IP KVM, an AT to XT keyboard converter and maybe VGA card or one of the RGBi to VGA or HDMI...
  4. jafir

IBM 0.5 to 3MB Memory Expansion Adapter (MEA) Documentation

On one of my trips to Computer Reset I found the Hardware Maintenance and Service documentation for this card. It includes a diagnostic floppy as well. It appears this info is for the first version of the card that supports up to 3M using 256K SIMMs. I've scanned the documents and imaged the...
  5. jafir

WTB Some 30 Pin SIMMs

Does anyone have any 30 pin SIMMs they are looking to sell. I’m looking for pretty cheap, and I’m not even picky on what size they are, they can be 256KB if the price is right. I’ve picked up a couple of 386sx-16 motherboards that I want to test. If I remember correctly I think I need them in...
  6. jafir

E-mail notifications not working

Is anyone else not getting email notifications for subscribed threads? I’ve checked my junk mail and there isn’t anything in there. I also changed my email to another provider because of an issue on another forum where emails were getting blocked my Microsoft servers.
  7. jafir

Message center - Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

I cannot view the message center. I get a messages saying, "Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page" when I try. I can still see notifications, and if there is a message that still shows up in those notifications, I can get to that message, but I cannot view older messages or anything...
  8. jafir

CompuAdd 810 XTA hard drive cable with two ports

So I’ve got a compuadd 810 that I recently picked up. This is a fairly late 8088 clone machine, with quite a few “nice things” such as built in video, HD floppy, and even IDE. The IDE is obviously XTA and the drive isn’t too terribly happy at the moment. I’ll almost certainly put an XT-IDE...
  9. jafir

Does Apple weather run on vintage IBM PC hardware?

Look at 6am
  10. jafir

IBM PC 5150 ROM failures (and substitutes)

How common are ROM failures? I recently picked up a later 5150 with a 256K motherboard. It had an AST Sixpak Plus and some sort of network/terminal card used when it was in the service of an airline. When I powered it up for the first time, a tantalum capacitor on a floppy drive popped and...
  11. jafir

single ascii character that causes DOS to reboot

So years ago, in the days of dialing up to a BBS, I recall downloading either Darkstar BBS or maybe it was the graphical client that connected to it. I recall there being a batch file that, in certain conditions, would echo a single character (if I'm remembering correctly) to a new file named...
  12. jafir

Mac SE miniscribe 20MB hard drive burned component

Is this a resistor? Does anyone have one of these drives that can tell me what the specs are?
  13. jafir

Where did Stone go?

I noticed that I hadn't seen him posting on anything in a while, and it seems it's been since May.
  14. jafir

Compaq Portable, Portable Plus, and Deskpro BIOS ROM J, 106265-002

So after a while of searching for a copy of just the bits, I decided to buy an entire motherboard to find this BIOS. I've got an O.G. Deskpro that's not exactly happy right now, so I can use it for troubleshooting that too. As far as I know, it should work for Compaq Portable, Portable Plus...
  15. jafir

BP Microsystems EP-1 - single board Z80 computer?

So I wanted to program some Motorola MCM68766C EPROMs and I’ve got a xeltek 280U that lists those as compatible, but it fails after the first bit no matter what I try. I see that others have had similar results with similar USB programmers. So I got on eBay and I bought an EP-1 that others...
  16. jafir

Can you help identify this bad resistor on an STB Evolution ISA VGA card?

Any idea what value this resistor is? It looks burned right where I'd expect a colored band to be. Also, how likely is it that this failed resistor would make the card be dead? https://www.dropbox.com/s/6sqwaugenb6mwn7/Photo%20Jan%2010%2C%205%2035%2053%20PM.jpg?dl=0...
  17. jafir

Will 5160 power supply allow replacing the WD25 with two ST-251?

I’ve got a later model 5160 with an IBM WD25, and it’s knocking on heaven’s door. I assume that this massive full height drive with 4 platters uses a lot of power, but I cannot find any specs. Has anyone ran dual HDDs in a 5160? I’ve got a few ST-251 I could put in it. I know the 5170...
  18. jafir

What is this loop back or terminator or something 1215336-08

Any idea what this is? If it were from the PC world, plugging into a 25 pin male port would make me think it’s a loop back for a serial port, because I think scsi would be a female port.
  19. jafir

Wanted: DEC Rainbow owner to test disk image

I recently found a copy of Word Perfect for the DEC Rainbow. I made disk images of it for preservation purposes. Is there anyone that has a Rainbow and a way to write floppies for it that would be willing to test the images I made to make sure that they work? Since I don't have one, and they...
  20. jafir

reading ROMs from compaq portable, commodore 64, etc

I recently bought a cheap USB EEPROM writer, a TL866II, and I've been playing around reading and writing various ROMs. I figured for any board I have that I'm not too concerned about damaging or if I have a spare, I'd pull the ROM and try to back it up, in case anyone (including me) ever needs...
Back