• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. B

IBM PC/5150 Memory Issues

I recently acquired a "presumed dead" 5150 (64kb-256kb system board) for free earlier this week. Turns out the generic-brand high-wattage PSU someone swapped into it had died, (what an absolute surprise) and swapping in an IBM branded unit brought it right back to life. Since then though, I've...
  2. B

IBM CGA Card Artifacting during Read/Writes to the Hard Disk

I've been running SpinRite for the past half-hour and it has made me aware of a very strange issue with my CGA-equipped 5160 (early style IBM CGA adapter), that being that the display gets a nice (un)healthy dose of artifacts that I can only describe as "multi-colored hyphens" whenever the hard...
  3. B

Midwest WTB - IBM GXT-150 or GXT-100 Graphics Adapter + Riser

This is probably a longshot with how niche collecting RS/6000 seems to be, but I'm currently trying to track down one of the POWER series graphics adapters for my RS/6000 7011-250. Specifically I'm looking for the version that was designed to slot directly into the 7011's system board (pictured...
  4. B

Issues with formatting an ESDI drive on a PS/2 8560

Hey all, I'm trying to get my Model 60 up and running, however I've found myself struggling to get the ESDI drives in this system functioning properly. I currently have it configured with two IBM 70Mb ESDI hard disks and the standard IBM ESDI Controller. I've pulled the terminator resistor out...
  5. B

Issues installing PC-DOS 4.01 onto my IBM 5160

So I'm currently trying to install PC-DOS 4.01 onto my 5160. I've written both 720k disks, however when prompted to insert the "Install" disk and press enter, setup doesn't seem to recognize the disk. I can still exit the setup and read and run programs off the disk normally, though I would...
  6. B

IBM 5170 - Trying to get my fixed disk to run as "Drive 0"

So I've been having a strange issue with my 5170 when trying to set up the hard disk. The system is equipped with the Quatel BIOS and I'm running the original combined floppy / hard drive controller alongside an IBM WD-25 connected to the "C" position on the cable, and I can't seem to get the...
  7. B

Need help configuring a pair of ISA Multi-Function Cards...

You know 'em, you love 'em, they add a clock, ports, memory and a thousand annoying, little jumpers and dip switches that aren't documented anywhere which makes configuring them an hours-long task, it's the multi-function expansion card. In all seriousness, I have four of these I'm rationing...
  8. B

Damaged ISA Card - How could I go about repairing it?

So I have a Persyst Time Spectrum 384L that had it's Varta barrel battery spew acid all over the board. After soaking it in vinegar for about eight hours I did manage to get all of the corrosion off, however I came to the realization that about a quarter of the RAM sockets and two sockets for...
  9. B

IBM Power Station 250 Memory Question

Hopefully an easy question to answer, though I haven't been able to find anything about it either way... I want to bring this system up to it's maximum memory capacity of 256Mb, but the 32Mb SIMMs (P/N 8184380) don't seem to be available anywhere. Are there other IBM 32Mb SIMMs that are...
  10. B

PS/2 Model 60 error 10480, no ESDI drives detected.

So long story short, I finally managed to get one of my diskette drives for this system fixed and working and decided to load it up with hardware, including an IBM ESDI controller and two IBM type 0667, 70MB ESDI hard disks. I ran setup and cleared out all of the typical errors (162 & 163...
  11. B

IBM Type 0671 Hard Disk - What are the DIP switch settings?

So I have two of these 0671 hard drives, one SCSI, one ESDI. On the SCSI drive trying to find the switch for termination (if it has it). So far I've found that switches 1-3 are for SCSI ID and 7 is for auto-start. As for the ESDI drive, I'm hoping someone can tell me what any of the switch...
  12. B

Floppy Drive Re-Capping / Repair

I'm hoping to find someone who can repair a few of the dreaded PS/2 card-edge style drives that have succumbed to the great capacitor plague. I tried re-capping four drives of the Mitsubishi variety and ended up with four drives that don't read disks any better (but also don't behave any worse)...
  13. B

PS/2 9577 s/i - Are on-board SVGA failures common?

So I have two 9577s/i systems that for the longest time I thought had dead system boards as I would only get a "flash" on the display upon powering the system on followed by no video and no startup beep. Well, today after deciding to work on these two systems again (and getting nowhere, again) I...
  14. B

For Sale or Trade: Various systems of various levels of vintage

Hey all! I have quite a few systems sitting on a shelf that I haven't touched in a few years and I think it's time to find them a new home with someone who will show them a little more TLC and use than I have. What's up for grabs is as follows; A Commodore VIC 20 that's missing a couple of...
  15. B

This has to be a joke, right?

So I was perusing FleeceBay earlier, seeing of anything interesting and reasonably priced (tall ask for vintage gear these days, I know) listed and I found... this... https://www.ebay.com/itm/174904741604?hash=item28b9228ee4:g:YPcAAOSwHu5g9OtM This is almost as bad as the time I saw someone...
  16. B

Wanted: A few parts and accessories for my IBM 5170

I'm hoping to find the following parts to finish up the IBM AT I've been restoring... The optional blue-button 720k drive w/ bezel AT style Model F keyboard The optional rear plastic trim piece If anyone has any of the above items available please, DM me! ​​​​​​​Thanks, Ryan.
  17. B

PS/2 Model 25-286 w/ Reply PowerBoard "Invalid Configuration"

So I recently pulled this system out to work on it again after letting it sit to focus on some other projects (needed a new hard drive, drive cable and floppy drive) and I am no longer able to access it's BIOS/setup program. Upon powering it on it will do its memory test then come up with...
  18. B

WTB - IBM Hard Drives

Looking for a few hard drives to complete a few PS/2 systems I have. I'm hoping to find a 70Mb Type 0667 drive ( 90X8528 ), a pair of 115Mb Type 0669 drives ( 90X7392 ) and a either a 30Mb WDL-330P or WDL330PS.
  19. B

IBM PS/2 77i Error 606

As per the title, I have an IBM PS/2 77i system that's giving me error 606 "Drive changeline function failure; Line Stuck High". Aside from a short flash from the diskette driver's LED, there's no other activity. I've tried three separate diskette drives (all of them 2.88Mb drives) and was met...
  20. B

WTB - IBM 2123 (PS/1 Pro) Faceplate or Barebones Case

So long story short, I finally managed to get my hands on an IBM PS/1 Pro, only for UPS to shatter the faceplate into around a-hundred or so pieces, as well as snap the neck of the matching CRT. While there's not much I can hope to do about the latter, I'm hoping someone on here has non-working...
Back