• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. N

Toshiba T1200 restoration + 3inONEder install

This is what my NEC's motherboard and the HDD controller card look like. The motherboard has a 34-pin connector, not sure if it's ISA compatible. I really hope to get this computer up and running with a working hard drive/CF card.
  2. N

That’s great to hear! Just to confirm that it can be used to replace JVC JD-3824? I have an NEC Multispeed HD which looks very similar to OP’s laptop that uses this hard drive. The head is stuck to the platter. I’m hoping to get a modern solution for it.
  3. N

Nice work! Congrats on the successful restoration. Do you know where I can purchase the 3-in-1 card? It’s sold out on eBay.
  4. N

Using Silent 703 as a dumb terminal

Thank you all for your replies. Apologies that the error message was not accurate. I tried again today and the error message was “Write fault error writing device COM1: Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail?” I used the MODE command to set up the port: MODE COM1: 30,e,7,1,P. Then I used CTTY COM1 to...
  5. N

Using Silent 703 as a dumb terminal

I recently acquired a nice working TI Silent model 703. It has a RS-232 port on the back. I'm hoping to use as a terminal that can connect to my PC, being it a XT or 286 that runs DOS, or a Pentium that runs Windows 2000. I tried to connect the cable to my DOS machine's COM port and use CTTY to...
  6. N

Packard Bell 386 Hard Drive Issue

If you look at the marks on the platter, those were left by the read/write head. If you see marks like that, usually it means there's a stiction. He may have "unceased" it for the first time and it can spin freely but that does not necessarily mean it won't get stuck again.
  7. N

Packard Bell 386 Hard Drive Issue

To me, it seems to be head stiction. Have you tried to hook it up to a different power supply and see if it spins up? I opened up several old drives and most of them either suffered from head stiction or rubber bumpers going to "goo". There's virtually nothing I could do to fix the stiction but...
  8. N

Heathkit H8 Prototype board ID

Can anybody help identify what this board is all about? It cam with my H8 but I have no idea what it was designed for.
  9. N

Heathkit H8 weird issue

I might do that. Any good sources for the gold plated pin headers?
  10. N

Heathkit H8 weird issue

Good point! I actually found that the 8k static ram card has very oxidized socket. Several pins were actually covered by rosin or some other sticky stuff. I inserted a thick resistor leg into each hole. Then sprayed some deoxit and moved the pin back and forth through each hole. It definitely...
  11. N

Heathkit H8 weird issue

Thanks all for your comments. I fiddled with the boards and some chips. The computer now works as it should. I know for sure there are some contact issues but I don't know where they are. Guess I'll find some time and clean the sockets and pins again, oh well.
  12. N

Heathkit H8 weird issue

My Heathkit H8 did not work correctly when i received it. I noticed that many chips had oxidized pins, so I spent some good hours cleaning the pins and “deoxiting” the sockets. It actually worked fine for a few days. Today when I fired it up, it acted really weird: there were missing segments on...
  13. N

Midwest Hard sectored disks

I’m looking for a bunch of hard sectored disks for Heathkit H89. They should be 10 sector and 40 track. Let me know what you have.
  14. N

Troubleshooting a Heathkit H89 Floppy Drive

How do I know if the head is actually bad? Testing the resistance of the coils? Anyhow, the belt was checked and the spinning speed was adjusted as well. The head was cleaned. The pad firmly pressed the disk media to the head. Guess next step is to compare the signals on the two drives side by...
  15. N

Safe to open up an mfm hdd to try and fix it?

If you plan to let it go to dumpster, then there’s nothing to lose by opening it. That said, I would find a relatively clean room to do it. Make sure you use some sort of compressed air to blow away the dust before you put the case back together. I did this to a few drives and they have been...
  16. N

I wanted to provide an update to the drive. It seems that the previous owner used it with a couple of external floppy drives. He shorted the HS and DS1 jumpers while left MX open. After a few tries, I found that if I expected to use it as Drive A:, then DS3 (rather than DS1) should be shorted...
  17. N

I can use the “go” command to peek memory space I believe, but no, I don’t have BASIC unless I boot into the system. As I mentioned in the main post, the computer worked fine with another drive.
  18. N

Thanks but how to enter monitor at the H: prompt?
  19. N

No it doesn’t Move at all. However, if i connect it to an 8088 machine, it moved once I switched to drive A. Update: I shorted the HS and HM jumper at the same time, now when I tried to boot, the led came on, head solenoid engaged and the motor spin. I also tried to move the head away, it...
Back