• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. maxtherabbit

Why is the RX50 how it is?

What was the thinking behind making a "dual" floppy drive with 2 heads and one spindle? Literally the same parts count as a single double sided drive. What was their reasoning behind this? People always talk about how it was 80 tracks to "compensate" for being single sided but why not just do DSQD?
  2. maxtherabbit

Best Films Featuring 70s/80s computers

What are your favourite movies featuring realistic depictions of 8-bit computing? Wargames is obvious :)
  3. maxtherabbit

Mid Atlantic WTB: Any Working EISA motherboard or system

Not terribly picky, let me know what you've got. Thanks!
  4. maxtherabbit

Mid Atlantic NOS Tandon TM100 Floppy Drive Motors - $10ea plus ship

2 Available, asking $10 each plus actual shipping to your location, paypal accepted
  5. maxtherabbit

5150 Cannot format floppies

So I have a bit of a strange situation here: I cannot format ANY disk on my 5150 using DOS formatting tools. However if I use IMD 1.18 I can format and write disk images without issue. DOS FORMAT just immediately fails with "invalid media or track 0 bad, disk unusable". All disks are known...
  6. maxtherabbit

Mid Atlantic 8" drive cabinet

let me know what you've got :D
  7. maxtherabbit

Mid Atlantic NCR System 3300 or PC486 MCA BUS System

Looking for any NCR microchannel system, located in Richmond VA willing to drive up to 100mi or pay shipping. Let me know what you've got!
  8. maxtherabbit

486 Motherboard with abysmal ISA performance

I've got a pretty neat 486 board here. Built in 1991, it uses a Zymos POACH chipset (designed for 286 systems) grafted to a 486 processor and cache with the help of a bunch of PAL/GALs and discreet logic. My issue with it is that despite using an ET4000AX card which will manage >4MB/sec on a...
  9. maxtherabbit

Mid Atlantic Reproduction IBM EGA Memory Upgrade Board (6480099XM)

This board was designed right here on VCFED by a user named abotj. I built one and it served me well for several years until I found a genuine IBM part to replace it. Guaranteed 100% tested and working. Asking $70 OBO shipped in the continental US.
  10. maxtherabbit

New 5150/5154 Acquisition

Bit of a sad story - my best friend's uncle died recently. He was formerly a technician at IBM working on big iron. His personal system was this 5150 that he had apparently upgraded over the years and I have now inherited it. The system was configured as follows: Hercules Color Card (pretty...
  11. maxtherabbit

SIP bussed resistor array with common pin centered

I have a Mitsubishi floppy drive which used a SIP terminator that is a bussed resistor network, but the common is the center pin. All modern bussed resistor arrays seem to have the common as pin 1. Is there a different name for this type of configuration or are these just no longer made that way?
  12. maxtherabbit

30x Hard Sectored 8" disks

not my listing, but these don't come up often so I figured someone here might be interested https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-30x-blank-ATHANA-8-Floppy-disks-NEW-unused-Model-47-0911-for-Wang-SS-SD/313418488383
  13. maxtherabbit

Flyback Transformer for the IBM 5151 - part # 74730102538

These are NOS from 1992. Aftermarket, but I tested one in my 5151 and they work fine. I have 4 available. Asking $15 shipped for one in the CONUS.
  14. maxtherabbit

What's wrong with my 5151?

First start it looks perfect, after running for anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes the horizontal geometry goes cattywampus and the raster starts quivering. Please take a look at the youtube video. I've tried: full recap deoxit on all pots and the horizontal linearity adjustable inductor...
  15. maxtherabbit

Disk Caching - EMS vs XMS

So under 100% equal conditions, EMS would always be faster since it doesn't require the memory contents to be copied to conventional before they can be read by DOS. But what about the somewhat uncommon case of EMS which is limited to 8-bit memory accesses to the page frame? (Due to the LA lines...
  16. maxtherabbit

IBM EGA with IBM Expansion Board

Fully populated with 256kB of DRAM. Condition is pristine, almost brand new looking. Tested and guaranteed to work 100%. Original IBM expansion card, not a repro. Asking $150 shipped in the continental US
  17. maxtherabbit

Depinning a crimp-type D-Sub

Is it possible to non-destructively depin a D-sub connector? I'm referring to the type where you crimp the contacts onto the wires and shove them into holes on the back of the d-sub. Is there a way to get them back out?
  18. maxtherabbit

Lo Tech 2MB EMS card

asking price is $65 shipped in the continental US card was assembled by me, if you doubt my soldering chops feel free to utilize the high resolution photo to inspect my joints ;) I've been using the card for a year or so, it is thoroughly tested and guaranteed to work
  19. maxtherabbit

Documentation for Alps DFL413C02B

I'm looking for schematics or technical documentation of any kind for the Alps DFL413C02B 720k HH 3.5" floppy drive. This drive was used in the External diskette drive part 4865 as well as the 5140 convertible and also I believe the PS/2 model 30, possibly late ATs as well. Thanks in advance
Back