• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. ftcnet

DEC units on ebay

How much memory is in these CNC 8M's? The G104-G227 modules would indicate 4K, so why would they have a KM8-E (M837) installed? What 'value-add' does a M837 bring to a 4K 8/E?
  2. ftcnet

DEC units on ebay

Track alignment was too challenging to accomodate pack swapping on the RK05-F. Didn't the RM03 need 'data center' AC power?
  3. ftcnet

DEC units on ebay

"One is not DEC, I have no information on it." One is not like the other two, but there's 3 DEC drives there. Maybe he's confused by the RK05F?
  4. ftcnet

DEC units on ebay

It's on Craigslist, but may be of interest to someone in the area. - DEC PDP8/A Vintage Computer by Digital Equipment Corp .. and eBay does have recent listings for PDP 8A programmers console PDP 8M front panel Seems like pricing for some vintage DEC items is approaching the original MLP...
  5. ftcnet

RK05 disk emulator development and discussion

This table is from p.10 of EK-RK5JF-MM-001. I'd suggest allowing up to 100ms for 200 (400 RK05F) track seek. The 'adjacent track seek' time of 0 ms. is incorrect. Earlier versions of the manual have it at 10ms which is about right. I'd expect the RK05F adjacent track seek time to be less...
  6. ftcnet

DECMate III Display Options

Check out: DECmate OSSC info. Apparently it can be done, but I haven't done it (yet). Good luck with your DM-III. Is it floppy-only or came with a hard drive?
  7. ftcnet

RL02 drive belt replacement

.. or try Memory4Less - 'refurbished' RL02 drive belt at a better price
  8. ftcnet

RL02 drive belt replacement

12-13369 drive belt in stock at MCA (same part # for RL01). Price seems a bit high, maybe you can give them a tax-deductable receipt in exchange for a donation?
  9. ftcnet

Information about M. Farris & Associates

Looks like most of the content at mfarris.com has been captured by archive.org.
  10. ftcnet

What did I do to my PDP-8 today.

It's usually an indication the part is selected for a particular attribute (ex: leakage current, fanout drive current, rise-time, etc..) ex: DEC part # 19-09972 can be DEC6314 or DEC6314A. Apparently the difference wasn't considered significant enough to warrent a new part number. But a...
  11. ftcnet

Vintage quantum computer collecting?

Yes, the cost of coolant and electricity would not likely be feasible for most hobbyists, but along the lines of PDP 11/70 or 11/45 front-panels that hang on den walls, they'd make great conversation pieces. I'm guessing most early QC's get canabalized for subsequent versions, but I hope any...
  12. ftcnet

Vintage quantum computer collecting?

Is it too early to consider 1st gen quantum computing devices as 'vintage' computers? They look great (like expensive chandeliers) and were literally as cool as can be. What happens to these early attempts at quantum computing? Do they get canabalized to make subsequent models? Do they end...
  13. ftcnet

Mini-Omnibus backplane for debug and minimal system

I think you'll prefer working with the ECS (DEC) connectors. The single-width ones are available from Todd Goodman for $10. ea. That price is OK for completing extender boards, but gets expensive when trying to populate a full H9194-style Omnibus. It'd be interesting to get a price for the...
  14. ftcnet

.. nice. It took a moment to recognise the DEC logo in the lower-right corner. Would that have been the inspiration for the DEC Logic Lab or a custom test setup?
  15. ftcnet

Sounds like a major project to re-create a valid PAL source for that diagnostic program. Yes, I'd suggest it might be worthwhile to have it hosted on Bitsavers as well as SoMuchStuff.
  16. ftcnet

Hi from BC. I used to work for DEC Canada (mostly 12-bit & 18-bit support). Just a note to let...

Hi from BC. I used to work for DEC Canada (mostly 12-bit & 18-bit support). Just a note to let you know I'd be interested in purchasing your TU60 drive if you ever want to sell it. I already have a TA8E controller, cables and cassettes plus a few TU60 spare parts. Let me know if you need a...
  17. ftcnet

Problems booting PDP-11 through tu58 emulator

I've used that method also. They 'look' OK, but I didn't have a good way of doing any functional tests on the salvaged chips. Have you been able to check if most of them are still usable? I found it slow going due to most of the IC's having power and ground pins crimped which kept them from...
  18. ftcnet

Which PDP-11 parts to keep an eye out for?

Always commendable to try to avoid having DEC systems end up at recyclers or scrap yards. It might be worth letting the right manager know you'd be interested in acquiring the PDP11's "when the time comes". Or print a note along the lines of "Do not scrap - contact tech58761" and tape it to...
  19. ftcnet

OS/8 questions

I'd guess there is some processing/sorting/formatting being done by DIRECT.SV that takes longer when there's more file names. What / options (if any) are you using? What's the maximum number of file names allowed on an OS/8 file system?
  20. ftcnet

RK05 disk emulator development and discussion

That's impressive. Please let us know when we can order.. parts, kit, partially assembled, complete unit? I have dozens of 16-sector disks that I'd like to archive onto different media.
Back