• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. wmcbrine

How to create (missing) man pages

Working with *roff isn't that bad, but... I have a package where I used to distribute a man page with source, and a text file based on the man page with some (non-*nix) binary builds. As part of my Markdown mania, I switched them around, and now I build the man page with md2man-roff (after...
  2. wmcbrine

ZX-81 Project, ram expansion help

As long as you're soldering, you might want to consider a mod to put 16K RAM directly onto the motherboard, as a single chip. e.g. http://blog.tynemouthsoftware.co.uk/2017/10/zx81-internal-16k-ram-reversible-version.html
  3. wmcbrine

Video via EasyCAP to USB

I recently tried to do some video capture (from an old VHS tape rather than a Model I, but anyway) for the first time in years. I had a couple of old capture devices similar to the OP's, and I couldn't get a capture worth a damn from either of them. (They DID work back when I bought them.) It...
  4. wmcbrine

Has anyone worked with the Model I keyboard circuits?

Composite. Although, since it's monochrome, I guess it should be equivalent to the Y in YPbPr component. (Yes, these terms are often confused. Both are valid types of video output.) The monitor connector on the Model I carries both composite and 5V, to drive the opto-isolator of the (U.S.?)...
  5. wmcbrine

Need help with TS2068 repair

I wouldn't say "completely incompatible". The compatibility depends on the degree to which the Spectrum software relies on the addresses of ROM routines... which, honestly, I'd have expected to be low to nonexistent for the average machine code program, since the ROM is mostly a BASIC...
  6. wmcbrine

Is the Z88 any good?

Eh, not what most people would think of as a tablet. I put it in the same category as a TRS-80 Model 100, slightly smaller and lighter, but functionally similar.
  7. wmcbrine

Period-Appropriate TV/Monitor for a TRS-80 Coco 2?

If you do the composite mod, it would be hard to beat a Commodore 1084s. It will also accept split luma/chroma (like s-video, but via two RCA jacks), analog RGB (compatible with Amiga and probably the CoCo 3), and digital RGB (compatible with CGA), as well as stereo sound. There's also a...
  8. wmcbrine

Xenix 3.2 Programmer Needed (Help)

2038 no longer seems so far off...
  9. wmcbrine

Upgrading (hot-rodding?) a Tandy 1000 EX with additional memory, storage, and CGA display?

Yes, it should work with a standard CGA monitor. (The famous Tandy 1000 graphics were CGA hi-res with the full 16 colors, but the difference was on the computer end, not in the monitor.)
  10. wmcbrine

Painting TRS-80 Model 4/4P Cases

Were the Model 4's painted originally? I know the 3's were, but I thought the 4's were just white plastic.
  11. wmcbrine

Model 4 Restoration

Link?
  12. wmcbrine

Radio Shack TRS-80 Colour Computer 2

An old VCR should work as a demodulator, if nothing else.
  13. wmcbrine

Tandy CoCo3 vs CoCo1 RF and Composite output comparison

P.S. The Model I doesn't use RF to interface with its monitor, either (it uses composite, plus a separate 5V line). It just happens to be sensitive to / generative of RF interference, unintentionally. Among the TRS-80s, only the CoCos have actual RF outputs, AFAIK.
  14. wmcbrine

Tandy CoCo3 vs CoCo1 RF and Composite output comparison

"Now"? It's always been regulated. The RF modulators of the late 20th century were allowed because they were very low power, and were (supposed to be) connected by cables that didn't leak RF. But yes, you can trivially turn any of them into short-range broadcast stations -- just run the output...
  15. wmcbrine

42" Plasma EDTV from 2004, multiple issues

So, I have this Samsung plasma TV from 2004, 42", resolution 853x480 ("Enhanced Definition"). The internal sound circuitry is dead (I use it with a soundbar), it's got sometimes-visible burn-in of the letterbox area (outside the central 4:3), and of course it only has an NTSC tuner, along with...
  16. wmcbrine

Hi. How do I get out of moderator jail?

Does it happen if I post an intro? I guess I'll do that, then. :) Been computing since '81 or so, still have some fondness for some of the machines of that era. The "home computer" era, before the crash -- and before the dominance of PC compatibles. My fave is Sinclair, although I see there's...
  17. wmcbrine

Seen in a thrift store

Are these worth anything?
  18. wmcbrine

Model I monitor as composite monitor

Hello all, I have a Model I monitor with no corresponding computer, so I thought I might like to use it as a composite monitor. Has anyone done this? I've only found references to people using regular composite monitors with the Model I, not the other way around. I know that it needs a 5V...
Back