• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. V

Building a Commodore 1581 floppy drive from scratch

Yes, this has been done before. Now I took the challenge if I'm able to do it again. Not only that, but I decided to make a youtube mini series of the project. That takes another set of skills which I need to learn. So here goes part one: I hope it is entertaining despite my Finnish...
  2. V

Amstrad PC14HRCD monitor, is it repairable?

I have started my attempt to repair this Amstrad VGA monitor, capable of 640x480 resolution. Advices and suggestions are most welcome! This unit came with Amstrad 2286 that had been stored in cold storage for years. If anyone is inspired to open their own monitor by this attempt, remember to...
  3. V

Odd 'searching for...' stuck failure in 1541

This is for someone possibly strugling with odd 'searching for...' -stuck failure of the 1541 drive. The board in question is 1540050 pcb. Initially it was a runner, no booting, but spindle running indefinitely with the red light on. I checked the obvious thing first, all socketed chips, but...
  4. V

How to build internal 3kB memory expansion for VIC 20?

Okay, so I have a couple of MB 8128-15 (2kBx8) RAM chips and I can pull one more from donor 1541 pcb. Question is, how to build 3kB memory expansion for the Vic? Best approach I believe, is to use expansion slot pins to make connections. These I mean...
  5. V

Amstrad PC 2286

Hi, I scored this Amstrad PC 2286 at local auction site for eur 200 + 8 eur shipping. The unit is defective (blown psu fuse when power is attempted), but I took it anyway, because it happens to be the exact same unit that was my first ms-dos based pc back in the -91. So I have very warm...
  6. V

Pc extension card identification

I could use some identification help with these cards. card0: perhaps some display adapter? Has two female ports (D9 and D25). Seems to be missing a couple of chips, and thus probably not in working condition. card1: ram card, probably up to 256kb card2: this is easy... serial/parallel...
  7. V

IBM 5150 full project

Last summer I got this ibm 5150 motherboard. I have considered this a spare for my two other xt machines, but I was recently able to acquire xt keyboard (for 80 €). Most expensive keyboard I've ever bought. But. I realized that this could now be a beginning of a full pc/xt computer! The...
  8. V

Space Invaders

Funny Space Invaders https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VczbbiRmDik
  9. V

IBM 5154 EGA monitor fried... is it a goner ?

Today I stumbled upon a lot of old ibm retro stuff. It was saved in a cold storage, only good thing was that there was roof on top of it, but it was exposed to dampness and temperatures of every season. Yet, I could not pass on the chance to make offer on the items. Deal was agreed at 150...
  10. V

Swamp C64 repair attempt

I recently acquired something to fix. First set, a 'swamp' C64 and 1541. Extremely dirty and corroded. Most likely spent years outside exposed to humidity, wind, dust and what not. Inside looked really corroded. repair attempt started with dishwash liquid, brushing and generous amount...
  11. V

Picked up an IBM 5150. Keeping it original or upgrade ?

I could not resist again, but just had to make a bid on local facebook marketplace. And I ended up being the biggest bidder with 75 euros + pickup from 70 km away. I'd say a fair price for an IBM 5150, with keyboard, green monitor and even some floppies and other related material you see here...
  12. V

Two dead C128

So, I acquired set of Commodores that included two C128's and one power supply for these. Both seem to have a black screen of death. I checked that the motherboard gets +4,97V on the other and 5,00V on the other motherboard on some of the big chips. Measured 9,9VAC on the psu without load...
  13. V

THEC64 owner's club

Hey, I joined the THEC64 owner's club two days ago :). If you're in the same club, why not post here your serial number and where you got yours ? Or just acknowledge, that you got one too. My unit is sn: 16585. Got it for christmas present at local supermarket chain at discount 100€ price...
  14. V

Using 117V psu 1571 drive on 230V household

So, christmas came early for me today! A bunch of untested Commodore stuff. Already tested the C64 as working. 1541 would not read discs, due to rw head having more poo than my 4 day old boy in his diapers! Cleaning fixed that drive. But to the topic; the 1571 unit is my first and I would...
  15. V

Dead Toshiba T4500C

So, I picked up another dead Toshiba from local auction site (for eur 19,- shipping included). It's a T4500C with a dead battery and it won't start with the power charger either with battery unplugged. Instead, the display shows a P30 error. Quick googling reveals, it is a "overvoltage"...
  16. V

Macintosh Classic pick-up at recycling center

Hi all, it's been a while since my last post. I stumbled upon on a surprising find today at local recycling center. A Macintosh Classic! I have never had/used any Mac and I know next to nothing about them. Still, you don't see these every day here and I was immediately very interested. 100...
  17. V

1551 project

I managed to get my hands on defect 1551 drive. Unfortunately I had a bit of language barrier with German and thus I did not notice it was also said to be incomplete. What a bummer, it's missing the key component, pcb and 'paddle' connector to the computer. Has anyone tried to convert 1541 pcb...
  18. V

Revival attempt of C64C mobo rev 250469

I got this black screen C64 motherboard recently and yesterday begun my attempt to bring it back to life. I first connected the pcb to power cable and to scart. Switched the power on. There was nothing, absolutely nothing. I would expect some sort of flash or blink from TV black screen change...
  19. V

What vintage have you got in your garage

The topic 'your rarest vintage computer bits' is dangerously going off topic. Let's then start a new topic here, where it more likely belongs. So, the question is what do you have storaged in your garage ? Two, four or more wheels or even roller chains if you like - a free for all garage...
  20. V

Next level cat repellent

This guys videos made me laugh mouth wide open: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goZ2DqMnaGc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOY9lnjZVA
Back