• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. TH2002

ZIP drives on Windows 10/11?

(Apologies if someone has asked this before, I looked and could not find a thread in this vein) In another trip to the thrift store this past Saturday I picked up a couple Zip 100 drives, figuring they would be a great way to transfer data between my vintage and modern computers. One of the...
  2. TH2002

Trying to reinstall OS X 10.3 on an eMac G4

(Wasn't sure which board to post this in, mods feel free to move this thread if necessary) Anyhow, picked up an eMac w/ a G4 processor from the thrift store a while back, and just getting around to wiping and reinstalling OS X. Wiping the hard drive went fine. I grabbed a copy of OS X 10.3...
  3. TH2002

Commodore 1311 joysticks - Are they really that bad?

Since I now own an SD2IEC and am also looking to expand my collection of physical software titles for my VIC-20 and C64, I'd like to 'upgrade' my joystick from the awful noname CX-40 ripoff controller I have. I know that Commodore 1311 joysticks can still be found for reasonable prices, but...
  4. TH2002

Music

I looked and could not find a thread in this vein, so I figured "Hey, why not?" So here it is, a thread pertaining to the discussion of music. Post anything relating to the music industry, your favorite songs, obituaries for musicians/bands, etc. I guess I'll start... My favorite singer is...
  5. TH2002

VIC-20 faint BASIC screen - bad power supply?

Picked up a VIC-20 yesterday from a local thrift store, untested since it didn't come with a video cable in the box. Got it home and noticed two things right off the bat: Tested it with the video cable I use with my C64, since it's the same type of connector and I assume it's the same pinout...
  6. TH2002

California Texas Instruments TI-99/4a + Speech Synthesizer

Selling my TI-99/4a - love this computer but need the cash... Asking $70 obo + shipping. Will ship UPS Ground, lower 48 only please. Includes computer, original box, power supply, speech synthesizer and all of the documentation pictured. DOES NOT come with a video cable, though I tested it...
  7. TH2002

California WTB: IBM ThinkPad 560 (type 2640) batteries?

Ever since I purchased two IBM ThinkPad 560 systems I've been trying to track down batteries for them, but all of my efforts have been unsuccessful. Excluding shipping, will pay up to $50 for a known working battery, or $30 for an untested one. If you have a ThinkPad 560 series parts machine...
  8. TH2002

So I finally got my hands on a Compaq Contura 3/25! But, backlight issues...

As per the title of this thread, I have finally acquired a Compaq Contura 3/25 from a seller on Bonanza! I've been wanting one of these for a good while, and this one is in very good physical condition. Even the rubber pad on the bottom of the computer has not deteriorated in any way, which...
  9. TH2002

Any advice on a good portable media (MP3/MP4) player?

I've been looking for a portable media player so I can take my music and video collection on the go, but since everyone does that with their phones these days I can't seem to find anything that suits my needs. Speaking of which, there is the inevitable question of "why not just put all of that...
  10. TH2002

Help remote installing LapLink on to a Zenith Data Systems Z-Note 325Lp

So I picked up a Zenith Data Systems Z-Note 325Lp (386SL 25, 4 MB RAM, 122MB HDD, so on so forth) and would love to install LapLink on the machine as I do with all my vintage systems. Since the floppy drive doesn't work in this computer and LapLink can install itself onto another PC via serial...
  11. TH2002

Your best and worst vintage computer investments?

Will be interesting to hear from those who have been collecting vintage computers for longer than me, I purchased my first vintage computer in 2014 or 2015 for a mere $7.50 from a thrift store, and to this day I think that is one of my best investments. As for the worst, I will have to go with...
  12. TH2002

Wanted: ANY vintage PowerBook or iBook with color screen running Classic Mac OS

I have been looking for a PowerBook or iBook to purchase, but as usual eBay prices are extremely restrictive. If anyone here has one they are willing to sell, here are some criteria: -Be reasonable with your prices please! The most I will be willing to pay is about $80, excluding shipping...
  13. TH2002

Vintage hard drive refuses to die - but possibly on its last leg?

Vintage hard drives failing is obviously nothing strange or unusual at all, but what about one that sometimes makes the dreaded "click of death" and other times doesn't? It's the original HDD in my beloved Toshiba Satellite Pro 420CDT and I haven't seen anything like this. I take note that...
  14. TH2002

1541 will not read disks

Yeah yeah, call me a noob or whatever and it's probably been asked a million times but a search of the forum did not turn up anything to solve my problem. I have a 1541 disk drive that will not read any of the disks I have. When typing in the LOAD command from the BASIC prompt (according to the...
  15. TH2002

Wolfenstein 3D and the T3100e/40

So after getting the old hard drive in my T3100e/40 up and running I decided I would get some games installed on it. The Spectrum HoloByte version of Tetris works just fine but Wolfenstein 3D just gives me a blinking cursor and nothing more. The laptop has a 286 @ 12 MHz, 1 MB of RAM and...
  16. TH2002

Looking for a 386 laptop.

I'm very sure people have asked for advice in this regard lots of times before but figured I would post about what exactly I am looking for. Bolded = extremely important Italics = somewhat important none = not too important -Something more common, not too hard to find. -Something not too...
  17. TH2002

"Vintage" computers on eBay!

A vintage OLPC XO1: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124833418532?hash=item1d10a6cd24:g:Bd8AAOSwm7xhBfeG A vintage HP Mini 110: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274966769308?hash=item40054bee9c:g:Ub4AAOSwGMthVLqO A vintage ThinkPad T61...
  18. TH2002

Compudyne N386 SXE and Compaq Armada 7400 for sale

Selling off some of my collection because I need to declutter and need the money right now. Offering my Compudyne N386 SXE and Compaq Armada 7400 for sale. I have never gotten either of these systems fully working simply because I don't have the time, know-how or tools to do so but they would...
  19. TH2002

Windows 2000/ME dual boot

I have a Dell Inspiron 3800 that is currently running Windows ME. I don't exactly want to just get rid of ME because I don't have any other systems running it but at the same time would like a fully functioning Windows 2000 laptop. My plan is to use Partition Magic to create a new partition on...
  20. TH2002

Floppy drive prices on eBay...

So BOTH of my external Toshiba floppy drives died recently and my Tecra 500CDT also has a dead CD-ROM drive. So I essentially have no way to get data onto the computer except serial (which unfortunately my Tecra doesn't have a copy of LapLink installed) and I don't feel like removing the HDD...
Back