• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. J

2 more ComputerLand BC88s - when it rains it pours

I have an ebay saved search for Computerland BC88 computers, and every now and then I get an alert. Well, this month I got 2 back to back hits. First one has arrived today. It's an 8088 model - the seller didn't know which it was, but seeing it has 2 floppy drives in the picture made me think...
  2. J

Need help. The computerland BC88 is failing!!!

I've really been struggling to trace down this problem. It seems everytime I tinker with this machine, I can somewhat get it stable, and then it sits for a few months, and I bring it back out, and it goes unstable again. For a while now, I keep periodically running into this problem where the...
  3. J

A tale of 3 CGA monitors - help wanted fixing them

CGA monitors are not exactly easy to come by. And even harder to come by in still working condition. I have the following: Sysdynei CD 1343. I really want this one working and stable. This model has a main power button on the back, and a 2nd power button on the front. The back button is...
  4. J

Installing Windows 3.1 on a P4

Perhaps the answer here will be don't. But I am curious about this problem I encountered and figured may as well see if anyone has any explanation or insight to it. I have a Pentium 4 machine that I use as kind of a functional vintage computer. It's built to resemble my first build, had to...
  5. J

Another ComputerLand project computer

There is currently a gap in my collection of vintage computers, I don't have anything that will run Windows 3.1. My Compaq Portable III runs 3.0, and I've attempted an install on my P4 (mostly just to run through the process, tinker around) and that runs into problems, but that's another topic...
  6. J

Struggling to build a working 486

Having working early DOS machines, a decent XP/98 dual boot machine, and of course plenty of current machines, I've found the gap in my collection of functional machines is something of the Windows 3.1 era. So I've decided to build a decent 486 machine. But, buying a bunch of used parts, and...
  7. J

Power problems - Toshiba T4600C laptops

I figured getting a working 486 laptop would be a fun little project, and a nice machine to have handy. So I settled on a Toshiba T4600C laptop. The first one arrived with much damage to the case, as the idiot that shipped it put it in a padded envelop and trusted it to the post office like...
  8. J

Looking for Tandon TM262 hard drives

I'm rather picky about my ComputerLand desktop, and need for it to be running original hardware to what our family computer had, and with the same startup sounds that it had. And so I must have a Tandon TM262 Hard Drive in it. Let me know if you have any that you can sell to me.
  9. J

Wanted: ComputerLand DOS 2.11

Looking for the books and disks that would come with a ComputerLand desktop, and DOS 2.11. 2 binder books, one for DOS, one for GW-Basic, with 5.25 disks for each.
  10. J

The Computerland desktop project

I mentioned this find on another thread, and it was requested I post about it. So here's the official thread on my newest project computer. I believe it's a Computerland BC-88. The BC-88 and BC-286 came in the same case, with both part numbers on the case, so I took a chance bidding on it...
  11. J

Compaq Portable demo sounds different on different machines

Ok, an oddball observation that perhaps no one else ever really noticed or cared about. But something I always noticed. So, the compaq portable came with some demos that would draw designs and play music. This is something that is my earliest memory of computers, so something that has stuck...
  12. J

Wanted: working/refurbished PSU for Compaq portable

I have 2 compaq portables, both with power supplies with issues. Fixing them is beyond my capabilities. I'm interested in any options to get a working PSU in at least one of these units. Whether that be having someone service one or both PSUs I've taken out of these, buying a replacement PSU...
  13. J

Working on some Compaq portables - tips/tricks?

So I have 2 projects currently going. 5 years ago a friend gave me a Compaq portable III he had, and I powered it on, it needed a boot disk, and in my basement it went for 5 years. I've decided to dig it out, and have setup my 98/XP machine with a 5.25" drive so I can now make boot disks for it...
  14. J

Looking for a PC - Computerland BC88

Hello. For some years now I've been keeping my eyes out for a specific PC, a computerland BC88. Obviously for nostalgia reasons. But....never have I run across one, or seen one come up on ebay, or anyplace else. Any tips on how one could track down a specific PC?
Back