• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. A

Compaq Deskpro 386/16 Restoration

Now that I've gotten all the show and tell that I can think of our of the way, it's time to run some benchmarks on this thing and see exactly how fast it is. Just a reminder that I have upgraded the video card in this to a CL-GD5428 based model, so that will affect the results as compared to its...
  2. A

Hello everyone, I hope that you have had a nice holiday so far and that everyone is staying nice and safe as we wait for the new year to come around. :) With some time off during the holiday, I've spent more time fiddling with the Deskpro to get it set up just as I'd like. The first thing that...
  3. A

After much delay, my replacement GD5428 based video card finally arrived in the mail. :-) I installed it and put it through it's paces and was happy to find that all of the text and graphics modes work perfectly on it, including Mode 13H. All of the classic VGA games are now available to me...
  4. A

The Static Column RAM chips finally arrived this week so I was able to upgrade the system memory board to a full 2MB of RAM. Here is the fully populated board. This helps ease the memory crunch somewhat for the things that I would like to do with the machine, but I would really like to get...
  5. A

With the motherboard and floppy working the last thing to test was the hard drive. I installed everything back into the case as well as the following addition. This Sound Blaster 2.0 lived in the 386SX-25 that I had growing up; and while that computer is long gone I did scavenge some parts...
  6. A

Thanks to the efforts of one of the techs at work we were able to get the sockets and the soldered-on chips that were most in the path of the battery contents safely off the board. I then took the board home and scrubbed and scraped the areas as clean as I could make them. The amount of material...
  7. A

While I continue to work on getting the motherboard as clean as I am able to, I thought with the warm weather we've been having around here it would be a good time to work on the case and all of the related bits in order to get them restored to as new a condition as possible. As you can...
  8. A

Now that I'm reasonably sure that the motherboard is in decent shape I wanted to take a look at the power supply. There was a bit of corrosion on the bottom plate, but it is surface only and doesn't appear to have gotten in the the main body. In addition there is a gap between the bottom plate...
  9. A

So after a few nights of effort I think I've got this motherboard as clean as I'm going to get it. It cleaned up far better than I had any hopes for when i first saw it, and I think that there is a good possibility that I'll have a working system at the end of all of this. :-) I used a variety...
  10. A

Having decided that even with the battery leak I might as well plow ahead and try my best to restore the machine, the next step was to take it all apart and assess what I had. The eBay listing didn't include any clue as to what the exact specifications were, so I was eager to see exactly what...
  11. A

Hello All, This is a thread that I've been hoping to make for a long time now, so hopefully we can all have some fun with it. I've been searching for a Deskpro 386 for a while now. It's a very important machine from a historical perspective and has been something of a Holy Grail for me for a...
  12. A

Wanted: Compaq Deskpro 386 (Original or 386/20)

This is likely like looking for hen's teeth but I'm looking for an original Deskpro 386 or the follow up 386/20 model. I've always been fascinated by this machine and I think it's finally time to try and track one down. Doesn't need to be perfect or even working well, in fact I would prefer one...
  13. A

Help with an Intel Above Board/AT

Hi Everyone, I've been a computer enthusiast my entire life, however the last couple of years have seen me catch the retro PC bug rather badly. Luckily for me I kept much of my old hardware, and some of the things that I don't have I've managed to snag at thrift stores and the like. A couple of...
Back