• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. pkhoury

Need help identifying some PDP-11 boards

I picked these up at the freebie table at our club's last GTG, but nobody knows what they're for, other than the CPU being that of a PDP-11:
  2. pkhoury

Need some help getting DECmate and VT101 working

I have a total of four terminals. A parts VT101 I bought for 50 bucks, a DECmate (don't remember what I paid - maybe $200 with a keyboard missing a bunch of keycaps), and two other VT101's that I know worked. I fully recapped one of my VT101s and it's a success. CRT has minimal burn-in, connects...
  3. pkhoury

Texas WTB: ThinkPad 730T/TE batteries

This is a far reach, but I'd be grateful if anyone has any ThinkPad 730T/TE batteries they could sell. They're small rectangular batteries. I regret tossing my dead batteries out 20 years ago, and would love to restore one or two for my 730TE.
  4. pkhoury

ThinkPad 700/720 ESDI to IDE adapters - do they exist?

I read up somewhere that IBM actually released an ESDI to IDE drive adapter, and there was even an aftermarket solution at some point. Wondering if anyone else here has a ThinkPad 700 or 720, and what they've done in the event of a dead ESDI 2.5" hard drive. Why IBM didn't release them with 2.5"...
  5. pkhoury

Does anyone else here have an interest in retro portable printers?

Just was curious if anyone here has interest in retro portable printers, besides me. Recently got a Kodak Diconix 150 Plus working (Computer Reset find - got 7, of which I need to fix 3 or 4). The Diconix has an HP ThinkJet engine. The ThinkJet driver semi-works; it does a carriage return after...
  6. pkhoury

PS/2 Model 80 - max memory? and CPU question, too

I have a PS/2 Model 80 with an IBM-branded 486 upgrade card that I decided I'll keep in my collection. That said, I know the officially published specs are 16MB of RAM, but is it possible to add additional memory, say to 32MB? Or has anyone else done so? I haven't powered it up in a minute, but...
  7. pkhoury

Model A 5150 motherboard refurbishment #2

Just need some assistance for an otherwise working board that I was working on, to remove corroded memory sockets and slot #2 on the ISA bus. Another friend advised I should remove these sockets, as they had remnants from a RTC battery that leaked before I got the board. Problem #1: What is the...
  8. pkhoury

Cleaning old motherboards

I have some 5150 and 5160 boards I need to clean. Someone on some thread suggested mild dishwashing soap (not dishwasher detergent) and 5 minutes in the dishwasher, followed by drying. I have one 5160 board in front of me with nasty rodent turd remnants. Could I get away with this method? I've...
  9. pkhoury

System Commander + Drive Overlay - is it possible?

Like the title says, is it possible to use a drive overlay, but also use System Commander to select from a variety of OSes? I have a PS/2 Model E 9333 that I'd like to install different OSes on it. DOS/Win3.11, Win95, OS/2, and maybe Linux or NT4. But... I have a limit of 512MB (thanks IBM). I...
  10. pkhoury

Serial port problems on 5150

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not. I'm finally testing out my PiDP-11 hooked up to my 5150. I get a message saying it's connected to the emulator, as 2.11 BSD starts to boot. By it's side, I have a ThinkPad 755C with the same message. When UNIX finally finishes booting, only the...
  11. pkhoury

Good DOS terminal emulators for the 5150 that run on a 360KB floppy?

Like the title says, I'm looking for some terminal emulators that can run on a 360KB floppy. VT100 is a must and VT220 would be nice. I'm trying to find something that will run on a 5150. I'm running the first BIOS version, and will be using this machine as part of my demo at VCF SW, so hard...
  12. pkhoury

CompuPro Arcnet card - what's so special about it?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but is this a particularly valuable card? Someone made me a somewhat high offer on this card, and I've seen one sold on ebay for over $1000. It's ARCnet, which I don't think are used much except possibly in some industrial settings...
  13. pkhoury

Early 5150 troubleshooting

I'm trying to troubleshoot my early 5150 (serial 0100485) that I picked up at Computer Reset back in 2019. Several years ago, I got a copy of the Supersoft diagnostics with adapter from someone in our local retro computer club. One of the issues with the machine was bad tantalums. I took the...
  14. pkhoury

PSU recapping - what's the general consensus on when to do it?

Like the title says - when should we recap? I picked up a SPARCstation IPX a few days ago on ebay with a known 12v power issue. I've read A LOT about failed IPC/IPX power supplies and figure I'll recap it to see if it solves things, and as a precaution. That being said - if I have another...
  15. pkhoury

Sun 3/60 help with disk partitioning

I finally figured out how to get my Sun 3/60 and 3/60LE to load up NetBSD's RAMDISK kernel. I need some help figuring out edlabel, so I can partition my disk and get NetBSD installed. Eventually, I'd like to load up SunOS as well. In a perfect world. I'd get my drive running, image it under...
  16. pkhoury

Cannot boot OS/2 1.x on 5170/5162

I have a really strange problem. At first, I thought it was an issue with my Gotek floppy drive, but I've since replicated the issue with a physical floppy drive. I'm not able to boot up OS/2 1.x images, be it Microsoft or IBM. I can read the images just fine from various versions of DOS, also...
  17. pkhoury

PSU question on early Model A 5150

Is it a good or bad idea to replace caps on an otherwise working PSU for an early Model A 5150? By early, my serial is 0100485. I think I'll finally have a chance this summer to replace bank 0 on the motherboard with DIP sockets, as well as bad tantalums, and was wondering if it's a good idea...
  18. pkhoury

OS/2 install woes on 5162

Not sure if anyone else has successfully installed OS/2 1.x on an XT Model 286 (5162)? I've tried, both with a Gotek and a physical 1.44MB Teac drive, and both fail. I get this error message: "A disk read occurred. Insert a system disk and restart the system" It doesn't matter whether it's IBM...
  19. pkhoury

OS/2 install woes on 5162

Not sure if anyone else has successfully installed OS/2 1.x on an XT Model 286 (5162)? I've tried, both with a Gotek and a physical 1.44MB Teac drive, and both fail. I get this error message: "A disk read occurred. Insert a system disk and restart the system" It doesn't matter whether it's IBM...
  20. pkhoury

8 bit SCSI card driver repository

Just wondering if there are any repositories for 8 bit SCSI cards. I was having some issues with several Micropolis and Seagate drives in my 5161, and figured maybe it was a drive problem. Anyways, I'm starting to think it's a problem with my Trantor controller. I was happily using an NCR 8 bit...
Back