• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. M

XTIDE Universal BIOS

Update... I created another Novell DOS 7 image on a different compact flash card. I confirmed that it boots on the 486. I swapped the card over to the 8088 PC. The XTIDE boot ("Master") message showed what appeared to be the same card ID string as shown on the 486, with no funny characters...
  2. M

XTIDE Universal BIOS

Note: both CF cards are the exact same size and brand (256Mb). I ought to try a different card to see if it behaves in the same way. I am still working my way through the XTIDE code. I have captured the data written to the IDE (CF) registers So I need to find where the data is read for the...
  3. M

XTIDE Universal BIOS

The EPROM card I am using, is my attempt to fix the bugs with ROM address decode on the Chinese CH375B ISA card. While searching the web for information about the CH375 to see if it could be replaced with the CH376, which I have several of, I think it was "Hak Foos" messages which I read. The...
  4. M

XTIDE Universal BIOS

TBH, you can't squeeze much onto a 360k floppy. Nevertheless I can boot from A: and run "debug.com". After I attached the 360k to the 486, I realised that I could have the 360k 5+1/4 and a 720k 3+1/2 in the Hyundai PC. Nevertheless it's a way to be able to run some utilities, but I still have...
  5. M

XTIDE Universal BIOS

Thank you for alerting me to the problem with (some) POST cards. I did create a custom binary, simply by adding code to write a value to port 0x80. I have four POST cards, sourced via AliExpress. They plug into either ISA or PCI, and appear to work OK in the 486. The Hyundai 8088 BIOS does not...
  6. M

XTIDE Universal BIOS

Yes. Strangely the main form of corruption is the C-like (cedillas?) characters for the NWDOS7(*) CF, sometimes the string is blank (for the MSDOS 3.11 CF). (*) Apparently Novell DOS 7 was abbreviated NWDOS! Just FYI. While trying to debug the hardware, having swapped the faulty 74LS688 out...
  7. M

XTIDE Universal BIOS

On the 8088 PC I have no way to get files onto this PC (without more work). This was the reason for wanting to "debug" the XT-CF in the 486 in order to transplant into the 8088 and boot DOS off a CF card. The 8088 has a 360k 5&1/4 floppy drive, but I have no boot disk. I now have 2 CF cards...
  8. M

XTIDE Universal BIOS

Just checked the KiCad layout. My mistake. :rolleyes: I mis-read as SW1 = IO port on/off SW2-4 = IO Port setting. So in my head I had them shifted over by one.
  9. M

XTIDE Universal BIOS

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, not sure if I should start a new thread. Anyway I recently bought a 8088 4.77MHz Hyundai Super16 PC. Came with 5&1/4 floppy and MFM drive. The problem is the MFM drive is knackered and I have no 360k boot floppy (or way to create one). But, I do have a...
  10. M

Fake 82C55 or genuine?

If this is posted in the wrong place, I am sure that the mods will move it! I am starting to new project. I want to build a PC-XT circuit based on the 8088 and original Intel chipset parts. Now I recently found a YouTube channel where someone had done just that. First job it to gather all the...
  11. M

Auto log out headache.

I have a problem, no idea if it's down to my particular setup, that having logged on, clicked on "reply to thread", entered some text, clicked "submit". I find that I am logged out. I am told to refresh and log in again. For the last message, I did that, clicked "reply to thread" and then used...
  12. M

NS32000 Series Family Thread (porting TDS to a NS32016 user wire-wrap board)

It's been a while since I last posted. I have been working on some NS32016 software, debugging it using the available emulator (plus my own additions). Soon I would like to try running the software on my hardware which is a set of boards: CPU (NS32016+NS32201); memory (4M bytes organised as x...
  13. M

Just a heads up to anyone who might be looking for either some NS32000 family ICs or a complete system, on Ebay UK (might actually be Ebay De) there is a German seller who has listed "National Seminconductor NS32032E, mit 32081, 32082, 32201, 32202, 10 Mhz, 32 Bit" It's a buy it now price of...
  14. M

I hope it's OK to start a new thread. I previously posted to a more specific NS32016 board (PD32) in another thread. I'm not exactly sure why, but my interest in the NS32000 family has been re-awakened recently. FYI, I worked for Nat Semi from 1982 to 1986 (in the UK), but spent the whole of...
Back