• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. A

OLPC XO-1

I have a couple of these. They're certainly robust and rathe cleverly designed. I also got the Sugar/Linux running on a Netbook at one point, though I can't remember why!
  2. A

NEC PowerMate Portable text too big to fit. Help!

That's incredibly helpful, thanks!! In the interest of these rather unique systems, that is very much appreciated!
  3. A

Oh my, that's absolutely great!! Thanks! The keyboard is really good to use, but certainly the layout takes a bit of getting used to. Well worth it though. And a little amusing they describe this as 'lightweight' - I certainly would not want to have to carry it far! It's certainly going to...
  4. A

Just picked up a PowerMate Portable SX for a very reasonable price, to go with my 286. I wasn't expecting it to be fully working, but it booted right up. A happy hour spent installing some software, and it's now in use. Stunningly good keyboard, exactly like the 286, but the gas plasma display...
  5. A

Macintosh Classic FAN direction

The Classic (being the system the thread is about) wasn't the original Macintosh, and Steve Jobs left Apple in 1985, well before the Classic was designed. For sure he was a divisive character, and had some 'difficult' views and opinions, but as compromised as the original Mac was by his views...
  6. A

Macintosh Classic FAN direction

Looking at the grille on the fan screen in my Classic, the dust is all on the outside, so yes, it pulls air in. And actually it is quite effective, even if only from the temperatures next to the analog board when the fan runs, versus when it doesn't (accidental experiment when I forgot to...
  7. A

Dead Apple Keyboard II Repair - where to start ?

I had one a few years ago where the tiny surface mount fuse had blown due to it being connected or disconnected while the system was powered up. The symptom was the entire keyboard was dead. Fairly simple repair, and worth checking.
  8. A

New to T models

Based on the fact my 200 still has its original NiCad which measures out at 3.7 volts so has lasted pretty well, I'd say it's probably not necessary to think about eventually replacing a replacement - and besides, the 200 is so easy to dismantle. I'd go with a modern NiMh replacement for...
  9. A

New to T models

I got the same response from Stephen when I asked about a Rex CPM for my 200 - it's a bit of a pity that such a great product for these old systems is difficult to obtain, but it's both a sign of how dependent we are on talented hobbyists for our ingenious solutions, and also how talented those...
  10. A

New to T models

I have a BackPack drive, and it is simply genius as an effective way to get files on and off a 'Model T'. I use it between a 100, 102 and 200, and use the microSD card from it with an adapter to get files from these systems onto my M1 MacBook and Windows 10 system, and back again. On the 100 I...
  11. A

Using machines as they were vs. with modern "upgrades"

When I was gathering my few vintage(ish) Macs, and using them routinely, I experimented with building a via classic Mac via emulation on a Pi. The objective was to have something modern and reliable to use in the event my 68k Macs stopped working. For me, the huge advantage of these old systems...
  12. A

Tandy 102 Date/Time/Day issue

Excellent, thanks!! I will figure out how to work the scope, and see what it tells me!
  13. A

Tandy 102 Date/Time/Day issue

To update: After another date/time glitch which lasted a day or two, in early August one morning on powering up, it had reverted to Jan 1 1901 etc. After setting it correctly, it has retained the correct date/day/time through over a month, and multiple uses. But, as a matter of curiosity, since...
  14. A

I have nothing to add, except that the PowerMate Portable is my favorite DOS system. I've had mine for a few years, and use it regularly. It's great to see another one!
  15. A

Considering that by the late 1980s, much of the entire publishing industry was run off systems in the 286/386 or 68k range, which are regarded as worthless junk by almost everyone (except us, of course) today, and that these same machines continue to be capable of that same kind of work, they...
  16. A

Model 4 Screen 'wobble'

It's a shame if he's no longer in business, he was really helpful for a range of parts and support. However, I have seen these supplies on eBay too (for example...
  17. A

Model 4 Screen 'wobble'

Found the thread these were detailed in: https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/updated-power-supplies-for-the-model-3-4-4d-and-4p.1219500/
  18. A

Model 4 Screen 'wobble'

If I recall, Jay Newirth/newSOFT, Pikesville, Maryland. That was a couple of years ago. I have seen the PSUs on eBay too, but Jay was very helpful, and had lots of parts and expertise. (@Jay Newirth ? Are you still here?!)
  19. A

Model 4 Screen 'wobble'

My 4P had two screen issues - the first was that the screen dimmed and contracted slightly when the floppy drives were active, and the second was a slight wobble which was more noticeable when it was warm, but sometimes present and sometimes not. In my case I took the easy option and replaced...
  20. A

I don't see the validity of the original question, because it isn't really about the 'vintage computer' to me, so much as what purpose owning it serves. I am not a museum, so I have no sense of responsibility to keep an old computer in stock condition. I own the devices and systems I do because...
Back