• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. K

Simple data acquisition using RT-11

Addendum notes. Thinking about the question of using standard I/O functionality (READ/WRITE line at a time in Fortran): if you have a device that keeps chucking data at the system and there is way to control the flow, then things may overrun if the application cannot deal with things fast...
  2. K

Simple data acquisition using RT-11

It looks like the NOYITO device transmits a set of 10 readings at regular intervals, the default being every 500ms (it implies that this can be changed). How trivial it will be to read from it in a Fortran/BASIC program running on RT-11 running on SIMH is going to depend on a number of...
  3. K

M8189 bootstrap error LED's D1 and D4 on

Another potential issue is that not all quad width QBUS backplanes are "suitable". The M8189 (11/23+) does not appear to be QBUS/QBUS, but QBUS/CD, and should probably be in the first slot on a compatible backplane...
  4. K

Learning PDPs

I am not sure; but the videos (starting with "tape 1") may be on YouTube here: Source reference: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=15056604
  5. K

Wrecked PDP8/e front panel removed from a 8/e I struggled to get from a Dump Skip

I think "spares or repair, or use by" sale/exchange with enthusiasts seems like a wonderful way to go (assuming you don’t want to keep it yourself)! Missing paddle on the DEP switch: if you can’t source an original, then a 3D printed one with appropriately coloured enamel paint (1K or 2K) is...
  6. K

reproduction PDP 8e toggle switches?

RAL Classic colour selections I have compared the switches in my possession (see previous post) to RAL Classic swatches and my opinion for the best visual matches would be (see caveat below): Amber: RAL 1007 (RAL 1006 and RAL 1037 would be the next best matches; or maybe even "just as good")...
  7. K

An update. The second half of the following is mostly about "RAL Design" colours and the use of paint. See also: "freebies". RAL Classic: there aren't sufficiently good (in my opinion) matches; there aren't that many RAL Classic colours. I will retest RAL Classic again and tabulate the "best"...
  8. K

PDP-8 core memory troubleshooting

Core repair/ The photos are from a cheap "digital microscope" bought via Amazon (similar items available on eBay). The cores on the H-212 are very tiny and tightly packed together compared to older core memory examples (things get smaller and denser over time) - see photo below! I imagine it...
  9. K

A quick off-the-cuff thought for a low cost solution. I have not researched the practicalities; but if I owned the machine and it was in this situation then this is one option I would definitely explore before giving up! Modify the address handling logic at the OMNIBUS side so that the bad...
  10. K

Tom, Confirmed: 5 Ohm between E11 pin 9 and JT2. I measured 0 Ohm between E11 pin 9 and the 4th from right inner pad (red arrow in image) above E10 when E10 is towards you with E11 to the right.
  11. K

Different colour resins of the right type can be mixed to get different colours; or dyed. I am still working on colours, when I have time, (WIP described elsewhere). In a non-scientific iterative mix-and-check with some generic resins I got something close to the amber handle's colour. It would...
  12. K

Thanks for your hard work Vince. A difficulty of colours! I thought I would return to this subject and report what I have noted. Here are two useful resources on the subject of how humans perceive colour… it is worth watching the YouTube video to understand what is going on...
  13. K

Below is an image of the "reprint" mentioned in my previous post. The white resin again (no dye this time; which was better). The red colour is plastic primer (I couldn't find the yellow acrylic spray to go on top of that - it was probably not PDP-8/e yellow anyway). Notes: Some artifacts of the...
Back