• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. Bill-kun

Website fakeupdate.net gives your modern fullscreen browser the look of a neverending OS update

www.fakeupdate.net Demo: As of now, the OSes imitated include Win98, WinXP, WinVista, macOS, Win7, Win8, Win10, and Win11. :LOL:
  2. Bill-kun

Tom Baker and Lalla Ward in Doctor Who TV commercials for Prime Computers (circa 1979-1981)

Circa 1979-1981, the BBC had Tom Baker and Lalla Ward play their characters in 4 commercials for Prime Computers. They can be found in the extras of the Destiny of the Daleks DVD (maybe only the U.K. release of it, though). Here are the 4 commercials on their own. Here are the 4 commercials...
  3. Bill-kun

VCF Midwest new location and room blocks (Renaissance Schaumburg Convention Center and Marriott Hotel in Schaumburg, IL)

Room block was immediately filled, then extended and immediately filled again. I'm not complaining about that; I'm just creating a thread for communication that this is happening and so that I and others can hopefully get rooms reserved. And general constructive discussion about VCFMW 19/2024...
  4. Bill-kun

Monty Python's Argument Sketch performed with two vintage speech synthesizers

Found this after watching LGR's video on the DECtalk, and this was too good to not pass on. 😄
  5. Bill-kun

Where to get some publicly available big data to play with on a vintage computer?

Well, big data relative to a vintage home computer, anyway. I have the idea of having a program to look up and calculate some stuff that we kind of generally have instant gratification for today. ("Alexa, what's the average annual rainfall in Phoenix, Arizona?" "Alexa, who wrote The Great...
  6. Bill-kun

Looking for a few inexpensive CF card extenders

Looked on eBay and found these. Just what I am looking for, but--uh--that's too much to ask. (Why that much when the IDE-to-CF adaptors themselves are less than $10?) Does anyone know where I can find at least a few for less? I am wanting the ability to use my IDE-to-CF adaptors, but not...
  7. Bill-kun

Need help! RCA woodgrain television from 1988 won't get off channel 91

My guess is this doesn't belong in the hardware technical help since it's a TV. Much less chance of me getting help in this forum section, though. :( I was given a lovely 1988 RCA Colortrak 25- or 26-inch diagonal wood console television, model G26261TN. At pickup, the owner had a VHS VCR...
  8. Bill-kun

Trouble accessing IDE and SATA HDDs via a USB adaptor

I have 2 adaptors. One is a Unitek and one is a Sabrent. Each of them connects to my modern computer with a USB-A 3.0 connector. They can connect to SATA, 2.5-inch IDE, and normal 3.5-inch IDE HDDs. They also have a power adaptor and Molex connector to provide power to the drives. Each of...
  9. Bill-kun

Win XP key on sticker not recognized as valid

Secondhand Sony Vaio PCV-7762 tower. There is a Win XP Home edition product key sticker on the back panel that clearly is the one that was put on by the factory. I boot it up and it is apparently a new installation because Windows asks for the product key. I type it in and checked the...
  10. Bill-kun

Simple Technology brand 340 MB. type 3 PCMCIA HDD

Simple Technology brand 340 MB. type 3 PCMCIA HDD. I bought this on eBay recently. I've got at least one laptop that has a compatible port. The laptop has Win98 SE, and it's a Compaq Presario 1220. The BIOS doesn't recognize the card as a hard drive, which I guess makes sense. As Windows 98...
  11. Bill-kun

Creating a boot floppy for "Pepper's Adventures in Time"

I bought an original copy of Pepper's Adventures in Time (1993)! Its development name was Twisty History. This is one of the Sierra Discovery Series games, which also included, among others, Mixed Up Mother Goose, Mixed Up Fairy Tales, EcoQuest 1 and 2, the Dr. Brain Trilogy, and Quarky and...
  12. Bill-kun

Getting an O'Neil MicroFlash 2t miniature thermal printer working

From Computer Reset. I have two of them. Came with no wires or connectors. Here's a third-party page about it. https://cybarcode.com/oneil/printers/label/portable/microflash-2t_mf2t Here are the manual links...
  13. Bill-kun

Getting Brother MFC-6800 printer/scanner/fax machine working

This seems to be one of the only Brother models that Windows 7/10 does not have built-in drivers for. I got the device secondhand but without any software. It appears to almost work fine. I got Paint in Windows 7 to scan something on it by just plug and play. It shows up in Printers as a...
  14. Bill-kun

Dell Dimension E510 not getting past BIOS screen

This computer, nicknamed Gandalf by its previous owner, is rarely getting past its BIOS screen. I see no pattern in when it does or doesn't get past it. When it does get past it, it then freezes as the WinXP logo screen is fading in. I can even disconnect the hard drive and the computer will...
  15. Bill-kun

Several computers circa 2000 with no monitor signal

I have encountered this with several tower computers from circa 2000 that power up but have no monitor signal. I can’t recall the makes and models I have (all different, I’m pretty sure) but this is at least a common enough thing by now that it’s ticking me off. At least a couple of them have...
  16. Bill-kun

Good source for modern Commodore 64/VIC-20 power supplies?

Good source for modern Commodore 64/VIC-20 power supplies? Can the same power supply be used for both? From experience, which are good sources/eBay sellers/etc.? Links, please, too. :giggle:
  17. Bill-kun

Jazz musician Herbie Hancock demonstrates the Fairlight CMI Synthesizer on Sesame Street, 1983

Featuring pitch change, tempo change, and modulation of what must be digital sound sampling, and seeing the soundwaves on the monochrome monitor. I wonder what kind of computer he and his assistant Clive are using?
  18. Bill-kun

What should I sightsee in Chicago before/after VCFMW?

Trixter said to absolutely not miss the Galloping Ghost Arcade. From how he described it, it sounds like if Computer Reset had been a video game arcade, it would be the Galloping Ghost Arcade. My list so far: Galloping Ghost Arcade Enchanted Castle Family Entertainment Center Lizzadro Museum...
  19. Bill-kun

Neat demonstration of a physical binary filing system using paper cards and a knitting needle

Neat demonstration of a physical binary filing system using paper cards and a knitting needle. A clip from an Australian educational TV show called The Curiosity Show (1972-1990). A few years ago the original hosts began uploading clips to YouTube.
  20. Bill-kun

Midwest Seen: Self-built COSMAC ELF computer, circa 1980, blind auction

Seen: Self-built COSMAC ELF computer, circa 1980, blind auction Blind auction until August 13, 2022. Cedar Rapids, Iowa. No idea on his willing to ship. Under the Vintage Computer Retro Swap Meet group on Facebook. I seem to be unable to get a direct link to post.
Back