• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. vwestlife

Reorganization of 'Genres' Category

I rarely dive into the individual forum categories. I just click on "What's new" and then read any thread that catches my interest, regardless of where it was posted.
  2. vwestlife

Run IBM XT or AT diagnostics disk on clone system?

Which version? I never had a problem running IBM Diagnostics on a generic clone. In fact, aftermarket VGA cards all have "IBM" in their BIOS to make sure it would pass IBM's VGA diagnostics.
  3. vwestlife

IBM System/23 Datamaster, display and character generation

I fully understand that, having used a typewriter that was missing the 1 and 0 keys because it expected l and O to serve double-purpose. But virtually every computer manual from the late '70s to early '90s stressed the importance of not mixing up these characters, because when the computer is...
  4. vwestlife

IBM System/23 Datamaster, display and character generation

The use of the same character for the number 1 and lowercase letter l is quite surprising to me. I wonder if the software for it was designed to interpret any accidental keypress of a lowercase l in a numerical field as the number 1? Because the operator wouldn't be able to tell the difference...
  5. vwestlife

Jason Scott's VCF Donation

"Vintage Computer Federation" is a registered trademark, but not VCF: https://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=97448623&caseSearchType=US_APPLICATION&caseType=DEFAULT&searchType=statusSearch
  6. vwestlife

Since VCF is a 501(c)3 that is collecting monetary donations and enjoying tax benefits, I think there needs to be more accountability and less finger-pointing. If the excuse is that there are people and events using the VCF name without having any official association with the non-profit...
  7. vwestlife

Rather than blaming him for the "failed" donation, it should have either been politely refused to begin with, or if VCF could no longer safely store it, then he should have been the first person contacted to ask if he wanted it back before it was divvied up and/or discarded. If he then said...
  8. vwestlife

Weird Intel Windows 3.1

Isn't that a Windows 3.0 box that someone put a 3.1 sticker on? The screenshot shows Reversi, which was replaced by Minesweeper in 3.1.
  9. vwestlife

Looking for replacement for Tandy CM-8 flyback transformer

Did you reflow all of the solder joints going to the flyback? Thermal cycling often causes them to crack loose from the board.
  10. vwestlife

IBM 8513 Monitor width

Here's how mine looked:
  11. vwestlife

Degausing old floppy disks?

High-density floppy disks, as well as chrome and metal formulation audio and videotapes, will require longer to fully erase than what the manual recommends. I discovered that it takes quite a while to completely erase a Metal Evaporated MiniDV videotape:
  12. vwestlife

PS/2 55SX - is this a 486SLC upgrade?

That's a Cyrix 486SRx², which was designed to clip on top of a 386SX CPU. It's a clock-doubled 486SLC with a 1 kB internal cache. But note the disclaimer: "386-SX16 MHz computers manufactured before 1991 are not electrically compatible with Cyrix's 486SRx² upgrade"...
  13. vwestlife

IBM 8513 Monitor width

My own IBM 8513 also had quite a lot of border area... except in 650x350 EGA mode, which was vertically stretched and nearly filled the full height of the screen. It was like that since the monitor was new.
  14. vwestlife

Searching for NEC PC-8001A software & hardware

In 1988, NEC got slapped by the Federal Trade Commission for "unfair and deceptive practices" because they advertised the PC-8001A computer as having 32K of RAM expandable to 160K, while only a programmer who wrote their own code could access the RAM above 64K, and there were no operating...
  15. vwestlife

DOS applications not finding SoundBlaster Pro

Also add T2 to the end of the BLASTER variable if it is the original SB Pro with dual OPL2 chips, or T4 if it is the SB Pro 2 with a single OPL3 chip. And some helpful advice here: https://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2010/06/issues-with-sound-blasters.html
  16. vwestlife

Need help IDing UK game system

So it only works with the original TV it came with? It probably uses the typical "Pong on a chip" IC: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AY-3-8500
  17. vwestlife

Degausing old floppy disks?

I have had floppy disks that formatted with bad sectors, which then magically disappeared after erasing them with a bulk tape eraser.
  18. vwestlife

is this right?

Do you have the turbo switch turned off or not connected? Some 486 boards run at about the speed of an 8 MHz 286 unless you have a turbo button connected and turned on, or put a jumper on the turbo switch jumpers.
  19. vwestlife

Please help me visually ID this board

I see 1987 date codes. That was pretty early to have much of the logic integrated into a single surface-mount chip.
  20. vwestlife

Please help me visually ID this board

I see it solves the "XT slot 8" problem by not having one. :)
Back