• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. V

How about $1,000. for a 99/4

Hey, check this out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TI-99-4-no-034-A-034-COMPLETE-IN-BOX-all-orig-packaging-Texas-Instruments-ti-99-ti99-/251538346783?ssPageName=STRK%3AMESINDXX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=hjvJ2Mhq9gqIFOPQSU8rSN9gRSc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc Wow, now that's something...
  2. V

What computer would you have and WHY?

I'd like to read the 'reasons why' some guys want a certain vintage computer. It's not the computer, but the REASONS - that are fun to read about. "I would really like to have, (insert computer name), because" . . . In my particular case, there are a couple machines: Commodore Colt: I first...
  3. V

Partial to Texas Instruments

It seems I'm slightly partial to Texas Instruments and their line of 'toys' over the years. Pictured http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5503&d=1301864741 I have a beige TI994A with a keyboard from an earlier black and aluminum TI994A. A box of carts, (all...
  4. V

Toshiba Libretto 50CT brightness/contrast question

Perhaps someone has a quick answer to a question I've searched on, but can find no solution to. I have a Toshiba Libretto 50CT. My question is - How do you adjust the brightness and contrast of the screen? I can't find a satisfactory answer to this anywhere. Help is appreciated :)
  5. V

Number Crunching

Scrunching things down. In these (2) 22x56" cabinets I have squeezed in (17) vintage computers, (7) cassette tape units, (2) disk drives, misc. computer magazines, and many computer manuals. Not bad for a space less than 20 cu. ft. (About the size of the average refrigerator!) I still even...
  6. V

Memory test error with Toshiba T1100

My trusty Toshiba T1100 is showing it's age. I only fire up this machine every few months but just the other day it did the following: Upon booting (with a DOS 3.3 disk in A: drive) - the T1100 starts it's memory test. At 448K it gives 1 long beep and shows ERROR 700D6:0A and sits there. I then...
  7. V

Radio Shack MC-10

Post is a bit 'windy' - but here goes: A little over a year ago I posted a question as to 'which is better; Radio Shack MC-10 or the Timex 1000'. Search 'TRS80 MC-10 vs Timex Sinclair 1000' Ref: post quote = Now I realize, that from a historic standpoint the Sinclair's in ZX80, ZX81, and even...
  8. V

How about a TI 99-8

I must have been living in a cave, but I hadn't seen a TI 99-8 before. I have a bunch of TI 994/A's and related goods, and I'm aware of the TI 99-4 but seeing a real TI 99-8 'almost' gave me goosebumps! Here's one up on eBay right now; Item # 320455846441 And it's for sale with (what appears to...
  9. V

Styrofoam stuck to cords

Question: Anybody know the reason for this - I have seen Styrofoam 'stuck' to cords of vintage computers when they have remained in their original boxes. I'm wondering as to the cause. Is this just a chemical reaction between the Styrofoam and the vinyl covered cords? Inquisitive minds want...
  10. V

Toshiba Libretto CT50 & CF cards

Here's the thing - I have a Toshiba Libretto 50CT running win95. I'm using a 64 meg Compact Flash card in an adapter in the PCMCIA slot and everything works fine. My question be; Can I use a 1 gig or even a 2 gig CF card instead of the smallish 64 meg card? This has been discussed here in one of...
  11. V

Looking for an MPS-803 manual scan

I'm looking for a scan of the Commodore MPS-803 printer manual. Preferable in pdf format. I've Googled till I'm blue and I can't locate one. Any help to it's whereabouts would be appreciated :) You see; eons ago I bought a Commodore MPS-803 printer. It wasn't much, but it did the job at the...
  12. V

Should we keep the boxes?

It seems that with most official collectors the original packaging is very important. I know that many collectors value the original box almost as much as the unit that's in it. I on the other hand could care less about the original boxes. I've thrown them all out. I just don't want to store...
  13. V

Buying a MAC advice request

I'm at a loss when it comes to even rudimentary knowledge of Apple computers, so I'm looking for a little help. My history is TRS80 to Commodore and right into PC's with DOS then Windows. I'm at a total loss where Apples are concerned. Here's what I need to know: I'd like to have a MAC as part...
  14. V

Texas Instruments TI-57 Programmable

This is one of those, "you had to be there", things. I bought a 31 year old calculator off eBay and it arrived today. http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/picture.php?albumid=14&pictureid=203 You see, it was 1977 and this calculator - the TI-57 by Texas Instruments was the thing that kick...
  15. V

TRS80 MC-10 vs Timex Sinclair 1000

I bought a Timex 1000 back in the early 80's for $100. and it's companion 16K RAM module for another $50. My son 'frustratingly' worked with it, learning it's supposedly quick entry keywords and typing on it's less than useless keyboard. As if that wasn't painful enough, if you moved the Timex...
  16. V

Acquired a very nice 1985 Toshiba T1100

I bought a Toshiba T1100 off eBay for 99 cents! I'm very excited about this and I feel this machine will garner a front row in my vintage display models. I really like this thing. It's got an 8086 processor with 640k RAM, no HD at all, just (2) 720k floppies. It came with all the original...
  17. V

A 300 baud modem for free!

Hey check this out! I'm looking through my Ahoy magazine and I ran across this ad for a free Commodore 300 baud modem! How cool is that :) Here's the ad - http://www.flickr.com/photos/26131074@N07/2746703479/ Ok, so the Ahoy mag is from Oct. 1988 and maybe this deal is done (expired in March...
  18. V

Radio Shack PC2 dim display

No contrast adjustment My question is . . . has anyone else been disappointed in RS pocket computer displays? Models PC1, PC2, PC3, etc. Maybe it's just me, (I'm getting old) - but my recent acquisition of a Radio Shack PC2 is a bit disappointing. I can barely make out the display. I looked...
  19. V

Always think retro

You know, after an exhilarating game of Star Raiders on my Atari 800XL, or a robust game of Parsec on the TI994/A, or even a classic Sargon II game on the C64, I like to sit back and listen to some tunes. :D For that I decided to mod my 'necessarily evil', modern day PC's CD burner with a nice...
  20. V

Couple new additions for me

I added a couple more machines to my collection this past week. I picked up a nice Radio Shack PC2 in great condition along with an 8k RAM module. Been wanting one of these for quite some time. I remember buying a PC1 way back when they first came out in 81 or thereabouts for like $280. My wife...
Back