• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. M

Project to create an ATX 80286 mainboard based on the IBM 5170

Amazing work! I'm impressed that you got this much working on a first go - just shows how much effort you've put in to check your work, outstanding 👏 Good luck on the debugging, I'm sure you'll find your gremlins!
  2. M

Project to create an ATX 80286 mainboard based on the IBM 5170

Can I just say this is a very cool project, all the best with it - your other 8088 boards look fantastic, as someone who made a 8088 computer (XTjr based on the Xi8088) much more professional than my jobbie! Im also looking into using Atmel ATF15xx CPLDs for one of my other projects, and as I'm...
  3. M

Converting a PC Booter Game to Cassette Tape

Wow, great find, that's awesome! Hope you can get it working, would love to hear more about it if you do. Maybe my PC Booster PC-man tape could load on it?
  4. M

ISA cards with high bus speed tolerances

I built my own NEC V20HL 16MHz machine (SBC based on Serges Xi8088) with the hopes of clocking it at the full 16MHz but I could only get video stable at about 11MHz with certain VGA cards (TVGA 9000i and an 8900D) and usually with 1 wait states on IO & VRAM read/writes. As it's a novice build I...
  5. M

Bring XT floppy controller from Compaq Portable back to life

Tell me about it! It took me ages to get PCjr-esque read-only DMA-less floppy disc support into Sergeys 8088 BIOS code to work in my 'XTjr' homebrew machine. It's just neat that OmniDisk lets you read floppies in a DMA-less mode and doesn't need BIOS support (I think it can use either polling...
  6. M

I don't know about the Sydex utils will add to my list next time I'm fiddling with my floppies. ImageDisk is awesome but I could only get it to work in DMA mode, so I could not use it in my machine and i just wondered if being able to use FDC in non-DMA mode (PIO mode) might help rule DMA issues...
  7. M

Hello not sure this is helpful or not, but I highly recommend the DOS version of OmniDisk. It's got a bit of a learning curve with its CLI but it lets you talk directly to the uPD765-based FDC (I assume that's what the portable uses) without using the BIOS and I've used it a lot for diagnostics...
  8. M

Compaq Deskpro 386/16 (considered the very first 80386 computer) - deep tech documentation

I think this is amazing, I'd love a recreation of the Deskpro 386 as I think it was a big step in the PCs dominance and continuation as an open(ish) platform and I think this would be a reproduction possible - esp. as there doesn't seem to be many original machines left...
  9. M

Missing resistor on Oak Tech 16-bit ISA VGA card, what should it be?

No worries, I've fixed up a couple of old VGA/EGA cards and quite enjoy looking through the nice pics on VGA Museum to match up boards and try reverse engineer bit on them :) I've heard of other people having 'unstable' cards and the DAC was the issue - my money would be on that. From...
  10. M

Missing resistor on Oak Tech 16-bit ISA VGA card, what should it be?

Is it like this card on VGA Museum: https://www.vgamuseum.info/images/palcal/oak/273_1067082021_rev.c_top_hq.jpg (taken from https://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/cpu/item/325-oak-oti-067)? I'm wondering if it's just a 0 Ohm-ish, jumper-style resister if the Crystal is missing to provide a...
  11. M

Interesting bugs we have to deal with as system and BIOS developers :)

That's really interesting thanks for taking the time to share your process. I learnt it's really hard to debug custom BIOS issues, especially when there is no emulator for your system! I went a bit made trying to get PS/2 mouse to work in DOS with only 1 PIC and getting the floppy drive to...
  12. M

New XT BIOS - Looking for testers!

Amazing work! I've been using Serge Kise 8088 BIOS for my own project - Ive hacked it a lot to deal with the changes I made like DMA-less, PIO floppy like the PCjr. But I should take another look at this project as an alternative esp as you're now supporting a lot of other modern clones. I think...
  13. M

8088 ALU Reference Design Details: Where?

There is this 80186 FPGA core design in Verilog, might have some interesting stuff on the ALU? https://github.com/jamieiles/80x86
  14. M

Compaq Deskpro 386/20

Oh this is very cool. You don't hear that much about Compaq Deskpro 386, but I think after the IBM trilogy of PCs (PC/XT/AT) this was the most significant next PC as it was the triumph of the clones. Is the 20MHz model very similar to the original 16MHz one (IE, lots of discrete logic, PALs...
  15. M

New XT BIOS - Looking for testers!

This is very a very cool effort, I'm looking forward to take a look at the source as I've spent the last year or so skim reading the IBM 5150 BIOS and the PCjr BIOS while modifying Serges 8088_bios to work on my Xi8088 derived (almost) DMA-less, all-in-one PC the XTjr, and I'm v interested to...
  16. M

Add reset button to Tandy 1000 (1000ex, 1000hx)

I took a quick look at this, the original Tandy1000 schematics seem to have a reset switch, but for the Tandy1000EX I think you could mod the RC circuit that generates the intiial RST signal on power on with something to discharge the caps (switch the +'ve end to GND) and that might generate a...
  17. M

EGA Cards that have a composite signal through their RCA ports

Ooh interesting as this is a very common misconception and confused me at first with EGA cards. I've got 4 (3 working) EGA Cards: Paradise PEGA1A, Paradise PEGA2A, Juko UDL C3 and a Genos CHIPS & Tech (broken at present) - When I get a chance I'll see if any of these are connected or just...
  18. M

Not at all, I find this discussion really interesting! I don't think I have too much more to add really - I'm no expert in IBM PC history :) I don't think I'll make another tape soon as I've got other projects on the go, this was mostly a technical demonstration that loading a binary game from...
  19. M

@acgs I was a bit stunned that there didn't seem to be *any* games released for the 5150 or PCjr on tape - especially as it was a common interface to all those machines and anyone buying the basic 16KB version, loading from BASIC would've been pretty useful to make the most of the RAM. I guess...
  20. M

Hi all, Just wanted to share my little show-and-tell YouTube video I made of my loading the old PC Booter game "PC-MAN" from cassette tape. Here's the links to the repo with the WAV file (there is an MP3 file, but I actually haven't tried that yet!) if you want to give it a go yourself - I'd...
Back