• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. digger

Help needed with writing an AIL/32 driver: dummy driver works in ASM, but not in C

Hi. As many of you know, John Miles released the source code to his Audio Interface Library (AIL) drivers some years ago. He also released the source code to the AIL/32 protected mode variant of those drivers, which are used in a number of protected mode DOS games, including SimCity 2000. I...
  2. digger

DIGPAK drivers released under MIT License. Help wanted to port them from TASM.

John W. Ratcliff has open-sourced most of the DIGPAK drivers under the MIT License. These were formerly commercial drivers that ended up being used in quite a few DOS games back in the day, because they offered a practical hardware abstraction API in a time when the market was being flooded...
  3. digger

Hooked a 120V Tandy 1000 EX up to 230V, fuse blew out. Further damage?

Hi everyone, Before you judge me, please read the entire post. So I finally received my Tandy 1000 EX that I ordered on-line from someone in Greece. I was excited to try it out, but the plug was missing from the power cord. At first that gave me some pause about the possibility that this might...
  4. digger

Why wasn't the 386sx CPU developed as a drop-in replacement for the 286?

It is well-known that Intel developed the 386sx as a more affordable variant of the 80386 (later retroactively called the 386DX), to allow the development of lower-cost 386 systems using 16-bit components from the 286 era. Yet the 386sx has a different socket than the 286, and apparently it's...
  5. digger

Would it be possible to design a 16-bit VGA card for AT&T 6300 / Olivetti M24 PCs?

Would it be possible to design a 16-bit VGA card for AT&T 6300 / Olivetti M24 PCs? (I'm not sure if someone has floated the following idea here before. A quick Google search on this forum didn't seem to turn up anything. But feel free to point me to such a topic if one already exists.) So...
  6. digger

Retro/vintage repair in hacker/makerspaces in the Netherlands?

Hi! Can any of you recommend any good hackerspaces or makerspaces in the Netherlands where people tinker with vintage/retro hardware? I've been wanting to get into the repairing of vintage computers lately, but I live in a city apartment without the proper space to set up a work lab. Also...
  7. digger

Why were there no sound cards using memory-mapped I/O?

Here's a question to ponder on and debate on a quiet Sunday afternoon... :-) As is well known, most sound cards in the DOS era used DMA to enable sound output (and input) at low CPU utilization. Sound solutions that lacked DMA capability, such as the internal speaker, or an LPT DAC, required...
  8. digger

Using a 3D printer to produce replacement parts for vintage computers

It's funny how 3D printers are now becoming affordable to hobbyists in the form of DIY homebrew kits, such as the the RepRap and the MakerBot Cupcake CNC. It's just so reminiscent of building an Altair back in the early homebrew computing era. (Even though that was before my time.) :) The...
  9. digger

Upgrading/retrofitting modern PSUs in vintage computers

Hi everyone, As you know, power supplies (at least the ones from reputable manufacturers) have generally become much more power-efficient and reliable over the years. I was wondering if it would make sense to retrofit high efficiency ATX PSUs into vintage computers, for several reasons...
  10. digger

Here's another project proposal: an 8bit ISA über sound card

since some of us have been creatively pitching vintage hardware projects, here is one of mine, which I would like to call the "über sound card". It would be an 8-bit sound card with some or all the following features (yes, I know I'm going all-out here): compatibility with all systems that...
  11. digger

Vintage computer bargain hunting on Koninginnedag (Queen's Day in the Netherlands)

For those of you who don't know about Koninginnedag, or Queen's Day: it's an Dutch national holiday, on April 30th each year, when we celebrate the birthday of the previous Queen of the Netherlands. (The current Queen's birthday is in February, when the weather in our country is generally...
  12. digger

Found an IBM 5151 monitor outside this morning.

This morning, when I left my apartment to go to work, I noticed some computer stuff dumped outside by the trash. The old matrix printer and clone VGA monitor didn't interest me, but the IBM 5151 monitor did! Unfortunately, a copper scavenger had gotten to the poor thing before I did, and its...
  13. digger

Any ladies here?

I know that female vintage computer collectors and enthusiasts are a lot less common (unfortunately, IMO). I'm just wondering if there are any in the forums (whether lurking or actively posting) at the moment. As far as I could determine, all the people I've seen post in here so far seemed...
  14. digger

Difference between "ATI EGA WONDER" and "ATI EGA WONDER 800(+)"???

Difference between "ATI EGA WONDER" and "ATI EGA WONDER 800(+)"??? Hello everyone, Could someone with good knowledge of EGA cards (and ATI EGA cards in particular) perhaps tell me the difference between the following cards: ATI EGA WONDER ATI EGA WONDER 800 ATI EGA WONDER 800+ On sites...
  15. digger

Over 100 posts!

Yay, I'm now officially a a "Senior Member"! :cool: I just wanted to share it with all of you. I have no idea why having that label right below my username feels like such a big deal to me. I guess this forum really is growing on me... ;)
  16. digger

Need advice buying an EPROM programmer

Hello fellow forum members, I've been wanting to purchase an (E)EPROM programmer for a long time now (for various projects), but never got around to it. But now I thankfully have both the means (and soon after moving also the time and space) for some occasional hobby tinkering, so I'm...
  17. digger

Working ASPI driver for the Rancho RT1000 SCSI controller

Hello people, (I'm not sure if drivers are considered on-topic here, even though drivers are technically software.) I have a Rancho RT1000 (8bit ISA) SCSI controller (with BOOT ROM) installed in an Olivetti M24 (NEC V30 CPU). A few years ago, I actually managed to download what I believe to...
  18. digger

Wanted: image dumps of both 1.43 ROM BIOS EPROMS of an AT&T 6300 or an Olivetti M24

Wanted: image dumps of both 1.43 ROM BIOS EPROMS of an AT&T 6300 or an Olivetti M24 Hello everyone, Is there anyone out there who has an EPROM reader and happens to have an AT&T 6300 or Olivetti M24 (different brands, same machine) with ROM BIOS 1.43 (no less than 1.43)? And if you do, could...
  19. digger

Vintage computer music (MOD files): modarchive.org

Whether you were into the Amiga, the Atari ST, or PC's back in the early nineties, you probably remember the time when no one had even heard of MP3 yet. Those were the days of the music tracker modules, more commonly known as MOD files (as well as any other more sophisticated variants, such as...
  20. digger

"The Soul of an Old Machine"

Hello everyone, Although I have not had the privilege of working with any of the PDP series myself (these majestic mammoths being before even my time ;) ), I just stumbled upon a very touching story about the decommissioning of a DEC-10, which I thought was worth posting in this forum...
Back