• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. V

NEC PC-8001 trying to make RS-232 cable

As mentioned elsewhere (here), the RS232 pinout for the NEC PC-8001 is noted here: https://github.com/0cjs/sedoc/blob/master/8bit/nec/8001.md#serial--rs-232 The header for this RS-232 is actually internal to the system, and my understanding is a PC-8062 cable was used to tether the pins outside...
  2. V

Texas IBM 5120 Manuals

Saw this, a set of manuals for the 5120. Not sure if the Training manual had been scanned yet, plus Logic diagrams. Also some IBM 5120 Payroll software related set of manuals. https://www.ebay.com/itm/186357593471
  3. V

MicroSolutions 190130 CD-ROM BACKPACK notes in 2024 (vs SDLPT)

I finally got time to try out one of those BACKPACK CD-ROM add-on devices, that use a parallel port to add CD-ROM support to a legacy system. Setup: Toshiba T1960CT 486DX laptop Using TSETUP in TOSHUTIL folder, verified parallel port set to Bidirectional Using CHECKIT, in SysInfo|Configuration...
  4. V

Texas WTB looking for Sharp CE-510F (disk drive for Sharp PC-5000)

CE-510F or an equivalent 37-pin interface to a 5.25" disk drive. Used for Sharp PC-5000 and possibly other Sharp systems of early 1980s.
  5. V

Emulated parallel printer

Has anyone developed a kind of "emulated parallel printer"? You attach it to a vintage/classic parallel port, and perhaps it can emulate a variety of printers (or the protocol of just a few popular ones). But you could "print to" the device -- maybe it has a display (at least 80 col) and a...
  6. V

OS/2 Warp 3 and RS232

I'm using a ThinkPad 385CD with a regular Pentium (not ED or XD, but labeled as 385CD). Using OS/2 Warp Connect. Install went fine onto a "massive" 2GB mSATA chip adapted to the internal IDE interface. Audio and 800x600 is all working. Now I was hoping to get ZOC or the BonusPack HALite...
  7. V

BOOK8088 and serial cards - working @ 9600

I actually got a BOOK8088 a few months ago, but just now got around to trying some things on it. So far I haven't found a way to connect an external monitor or external keyboard. Screen is concerning, since if that LCD goes out, I suspect it may be tough to replace. But the CGA chips are...
  8. V

SCAMP 50th anniversary year (1973-2023) and some IBM 5100 notes

I got a chance to talk about SCAMP and the IBM 5100 series recently at VCF. It's "50th anniversary" I think is technically around November of this year. See the video description for links to corrections/clarifications. If anyone has any recollections about the Joey Tuttle VCF discussion...
  9. V

Looking for print cartridge used in Sharp PC-5000 (or at least just the model/part number)

I came across the part number of this print cartridge once, but now I can't find it again. I have one, but it has no numbers on the cartridge itself (top or bottom). The cartridge is only needed when using regular plain paper. When using "thermal paper" you remove this cartridge and just the...
  10. V

Looking for PC-51 (CORE International) early 1980s PC DOS 2.0 software (IBM 5110 related)

Earlier this year I got a copy of the PC-51 user manual, which is now available here (along with several other CORE International related newsletters). https://github.com/voidstar78/IBM_5100_DOCS/tree/main/CORE This was PC-DOS 2.0 era software that would emulate the full BASIC capability of...
  11. V

Insight into IBM software (5110/5120 by the mid-1980s)

I recently came across an IBM 5120 that included a bunch of documentation. Sifting through some of that, I came across an IBM "notice to customers" document that was notifying about software price changes. This was dated Oct. 1985. While "home computing" was certainly taking off by this...
  12. V

IBM 5110-3 / 5120 8inch drives, disk timing error and Process Check issue

So - I got this 5120 booting up to BASIC. It runs program fine, I think all the RWS/RAM is fine. But I still can't access disks. I got a set of DS/DD to try - the index hole on them seems to be in the same location as the one on the original IBM 8" disk that came with the system. So I've...
  13. V

My daughter can "hear" CRTs; impacts enjoyment of retro

Earlier this year, my daughter told me she can tell when I'm "goofing around with the old computers" because she can hear the CRT - even a couple rooms away. And she confessed to me, that it gives her a mild headache (when in the same room, since it's louder then). I recall reading that I...
  14. V

Help decoding some System/3 machine code

So, this is similar to my System/360 thread. But System/3 appears to be a little more obscure. My understanding is the main feature of System/3 was the RPG II programming language. I'm not at all familiar with that, but I suspect many people maybe didn't code in raw machine code on...
  15. V

Disassembly of IBM System/360 (attempt)

I understand there were various Models of the IBM System/360, so that alone makes it hard to do a general disassembly of S360 binary. But suppose the binary below (starting at 0x200) is some kind of S360 machine code. I don't think it is the earliest Model 20, don't think it is a Model 40. I...
  16. V

Sharp CE-510F disk drive looking for pinout (for Sharp PC-5000 or MZ-80B)

I have a Sharp PC-5000 and on the back is a 37-pin connector that I think is for the external disk drive. 37-pin is what the external connector of the IBM PC 5150 FDC used, which I have one of those connectors. I tried it with the HxC floppy emulator, but no success yet it getting to read any...
  17. V

Help Identifying IBM card from late 1970s

While this card LOOKS like it should be for an IBM 5100 or IBM 5110 (c. 1975-1978), I don't think it is. (and physically the card would fit into any slot of those systems) It's possible maybe the IBM 5120 (aka IBM 5110-3) had a card like this - but I don't think so. The reason I don't think...
  18. V

VCF East 2023 Photos

I've posted some notes and photos of my experience at the recent VCF East 2023. Had a great time, glad I went (even though yes, Saturday got a bit crowded). https://voidstar.blog/vcf-east-2023/
  19. V

Running an old laptop via power contacts in the battery compartment

I came across an old Gateway Color Book that is a 486 DX4/100 (mid 1990s). Problem is, no power connector adapter. It is an odd 3-pronge "DC IN" that I'm not very familiar with. So I got to thinking: couldn't I just power this via the metal contacts in the battery compartment with a...
Back