• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. Zap!

Neptune's Daughters (English Software Company)

Was Neptune's Daughters (by The English Software Company) ever released as a Big Box? If yes, does anybody here own one? Is it ever on eBay? There were Commodore 64 and Atari 8-bit versions. I've seen the Atari game, but as a cassette only. Did it come like that, or was there a box?
  2. Zap!

Is there anyway to make a floppy disk bootable manually?

Here's the situation: I have DOS 3.30 on my XT on the C: drive. I also have X-TIDE (CF card), but that is the D: drive. I am able to put things on the CF card, and have 5.0 and 6.22 on the drive. I can put those files on a blank 5 1/4" floppy, but it won't boot. I thought changing the attributes...
  3. Zap!

Downgrading from MS-DOS 6.22 to 3.30 on my IBM 5160 XT

I have a 5160 XT with a working original 20mb hard drive (C) and XTIDE (D). I have DOS 6.22 and all of the system files on my C: drive. The A: drive also works. I want to go to the more era-friendly DOS 3.30. I have the installation floppies, but I don't see any "install.exe" file. Is it...
  4. Zap!

Does any version of Windows 1.x work with MS-DOS 6.22?

I have an IBM 5160 XT with MS-DOS 6.22, and Windows 1.1 didn't work on it (see video below, not mine by the way but I have the same errors). So, is there some sort of remedy to make 1.1 work? If not, do later versions of Windows 1 work with DOS 6.22, such as 1.4?
  5. Zap!

Just picked up a Commodore VIC-20 SMPL

It was being sold as a regular, untested Commodore VIC 20 with no power supply (or anything else but the unit itself), but it was pretty clear that there was nothing regular about it. I bought it because it was unique and the price was cheap, although I knew nothing about it. I watched the 8-Bit...
  6. Zap!

What's the best collection site to list all of your computer games?

Let me explain what I'm looking for: An online site where you can select your computer games and then hit something like "add to collection." After you add your games, you can look at your collection. The site then says what each game is worth, based on eBay prices. I am on sites that do this...
  7. Zap!

Need For Speed: EA Crew Edition

As the story goes, this game was given only to some (all?) EA employees for Christmas. On the surface, that should make the game insanely rare. However, the going price is under $40 opened, and under $100 new, so I'm confused. Plus there were several on eBay as of last week. Just how many of...
  8. Zap!

Heavy spoilers: Were any Phantasmagoria alternate endings planned?

After the final act in Phantasmagoria, the ending is, well, rather lackluster. All Adrienne does is walk out of the house. It shows her slowly walking (presumably toward her car) with a tranced look on her face for about 15 seconds, and then we're greeted with a cool song and the ending credits...
  9. Zap!

Odd date and time issue

Have a 386 that keeps track of the time and date in real time, but only in real time while it's running. For example, if I set the time today (December 7th) and shut it off for three days, it'll say December 7th when I turn it on. That was just an example. I hadn't turned my PC on since...
  10. Zap!

Can't access my keyboard during Linux installation

I have a 20 old computer and wanted to put a version of Linux on it. When flashing the ISO with Etcher to a USB SD card, it boots from the USB as normal and gives me a few options. Except I can't select anything. No arrow keys, no enter, not even the number lock (no light). I have tried two...
  11. Zap!

Windows 98 crashes about half the time on startup

I have an unusual situation that I can't quite understand. Windows 98 freezes on startup (at the Windows 98 startup logo), but only about half the time. I press reset and it might freeze again, or it might boot up fine. What's incredibly strange is there's no pattern at all. Sometimes If the...
  12. Zap!

386DX just won't hold a charge

So I got a 386DX 33 last year, and at the time it had an old barrel battery in it (see pic 1). Well, I removed it and installed a nice battery pack (uses 3 AAA batteries) to jumper J2 (see pic2). It worked great, and all was well for over a year, but then I had to open up the computer case for...
  13. Zap!

386DX-33 got slower after I added a math coprocessor

So I've had this 386DX-33 for a year and a half, and last night got and installed this coprocessor last night. It is correctly installed, and shows up in programs like MSD (and during boot). This is my motherboard. Anyway, things are much slower. Windows 3.11 takes much longer to load, and when...
  14. Zap!

Can anyone identify this dot matrix printer next to a Neo-Geo?

I apologize for the horrendous quality, but it's the only know one that I have. First, I'll tell you what I know for certain. This was once mine, and this capture is from 1992. I got the printer in 1991. So the model is no newer than 1991, although it could be older if the stock was old. Those...
  15. Zap!

Wanted: Microsoft green-eyed mouse

Looking for the serial port version, working if possible.
  16. Zap!

Can't get a Game Port to detect on my 5160

I have a XT and a card called the I/O Mini II (see pic). I made sure the Game Port is enabled with the E12 jumper being closed. I also bought this ribbon cable, and connected a joystick. Games like Centipede don't detect any joystick. Some games freeze when detecting, like Pacmania (even...
  17. Zap!

Hey, first day and first post!

Hello everyone, I'm brand new here and would just like to say hello. I found this forum by accident, while searching for some computing problems for an XT. Started reading a little and knew that this was the place for me. I am 48, and own around 17 computers and over 50 video game systems. My...
Back