• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. creepingnet

Is there a case to be made for the 386?

What always kept me from the 386, is it's use-case similarities with the 486, but the lack of the things that made the 486 objectively better, when ti came to "retro". Right now I have a 386SX-20 that also has a 486 Blue LIghtning CPU in it, and I can say, that Blue Lightning with a...
  2. creepingnet

Enta 486SX / Award V3.20-E Laptop won't work with any IDE drive....

Ah, another NanTan FMA3500 - this time a FMA3500SX, in the less common gray color. I've had a couple of these, I have a 3500C currently. First, I'm surprised nobody familiar has mentioned that these don't come with a normal 4-pin molex for desktop hard disks like we are used to in most cases...
  3. creepingnet

NEC (Ultralite) Versa Series 1993-1995 (PC-4xx/5xx/7xx)

On the manuals, the cool thing about those is there's a Windows 3.1 "online" manual for most of the Versa models that was put in a NEC program group. As in, they put the entire user guide in a help file, I think it's on the NEC utilities diskette for the P/75. I got that when I downloaded all...
  4. creepingnet

On the screen front, that's rad, now I want one of those. The P/75 is a perfect DOS gaming laptop TBH. I guess maybe NEC made the 800x600 9.4" panel for awhile and went to a larger 640x480 panel because the 800x600 9.4" panel can be a pain to work with in windows sometimes due to the size of...
  5. creepingnet

Could have been an unknown option. I think at one point I was about to buy the unit you bought. I was basing it off of the LCD screens I was finding on e-bay. Unless of course, the panel can do 800x600 and somehow NEC pushed their utter limits and managed an early Active matrix panel that can...
  6. creepingnet

Yeah, those NanTans always break at the hinge. All of mine had the compression hinge slightly loosened to protect it from happening again. Strangely, the M/75 with the touch screen does'nt have this issue because it's got that huge honkin Circuit Board down the right side of the screen for the...
  7. creepingnet

Can I use 2 Winchester controller cards to add a third floppy to my 486 computer

Most 386 and up hardware won't support more than 2 floppies in the BIOS. I dunno if there's a way to implement in software, but I do know one trick that MIGHT work. I used to have a 486 with a SoundBlaster AWE32 in it, and the AWE32 had an ATA compliant IDE controller on the end of it. I...
  8. creepingnet

10BASE2 over RG59/RG6

DOS can access the internet fine via Links. It's really funny since DOS is easier to surf the web on now than Windows 3.1x is, lol. Links has TLS 1.2. But it needs a 386 SX with a co-processor, or faster to work. That said even with that it's low-risk because no Java, no Flash - Links is...
  9. creepingnet

NanTan Early 1990's laptops Guide (386/486/Pentium)

Could be. NanTan/Kapok seemed very inconsistent with their screen makers. It also seems most DSTN/STN screens had a pretty standard pinout (one thing I've been doing on my website - though I need to get back to it soon, is documenting pinouts for LCD's to find out which LCD's are compatible...
  10. creepingnet

Because I actually do use the laptop, and while it's not the ideal, My favorite activity is tricking them out. I'm not 100% replacing the drive, I may later remove Stacker and rebuild that HDD with my own standard setup of MS-DOS/WFW311. It's an FMA3500C, so it's color. It seems the Sanyo...
  11. creepingnet

A little discussion on modern shipping practices and trends...

Over Christmas I ordered a set of those 194 style LED Bulbs for me and my wife's cars - big lot of them from a US Shipper....had to cancel and get a refund because a month in it still was not shipped and never arrived. On a positive note, ordered a sustainer system for one of my guitars (a...
  12. creepingnet

Well, I did use BS And SUperglue for bonding in the brass screw anchors into the plastic on my NECs, as well as my FMAK9200. However, with screens, I have 2 tricks I use to loosen the hinges.... On my NEC Versas I usually use a cheap Daiso store chisel to loosen the clip on the end of the...
  13. creepingnet

I'd give Baking Soda & Superglue a go. I've had luck with that on my NEC Versas. The Exothermic reaction melts the plastic together. I've got a NEC Versa P/75 whose entire bottom half is held together with that stuff. My M/75 is not far behind. @JamieDoesStuff - I don't think I even took...
  14. creepingnet

Modern HDD replacement for laptops without user type support

Ah yes...I wrote this in a bit of a quickie....so I might have missed it good catch. Here's some of my experiences for some real life examples.....and maybe why I might have missed some things. 1.) The Drive speed makes sense, I think I forgot a recent experience I had with my Deskpro 386s/20...
  15. creepingnet

Modern HDD replacement for laptops without user type support

Here's my rundown with this as I had some mess-around time with these recently and my mind is quite fresh... 1.) Older hard disks 528MB and under should work just fine regardless. However, you will want to look up the jumper settings for those sorts of drives because back then not everyone had...
  16. creepingnet

PC Mag has been probably one of the most valuable sources, and is really the only reason I get on google books TBH. Glad to see someone's putting it on Archive.org through as I've been trying to de-google-fy my life for awhile now. A LOT of the ripped NanTan and NEC Versa pictures on my...
  17. creepingnet

setting up a network share between windows 10 and DOS

Here's all known working solutions I've used for this.... 1) Use FTPSRV in mTCP on the device that needs xferred to, and then use FileZilla or another FTP program on the Windows 10 machine to xfer files. I do this all the time in Windows, Apple, and Linux. 2) Setup an internal basic FTP Server...
  18. creepingnet

Yes. 30 pin SIPs and 30 pin SIMMS (which are electronically identical, it's just the connection type that differs) utilize an 8-bit Data Bus Width. most 386DX and all 486 systems (SX, DX and their clock double/triple variants) use a 32-bit memory address bus, so the SIP/SIMMs (8-bit 30 pin...
  19. creepingnet

Maxtor 7120AT jumper settings.

Well, if it's any help....if you still have the 486, that was my first 486 hard disk and I still remember the CHS and can guide on the CMOS battery issue as well.... MAXTOR 7120AT HEADS= 936 CYLINDERS = 16 SECTORS = 17 PRECOMP = 0 or 65535 (depending on your BIOS) LANDZONE = 936 If you could...
  20. creepingnet

Maxtor 7120AT jumper settings.

Old 1993 Power Supply would work great for powering the drive. My USB 2.0 Drive kit I have came with a power supply w/ a SATA converter connection on it so I could also plug SATA drives into it as well. But maybe they don't do that anymore. I was referring to using an older machine with an...
Back