• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. P

Atari 1050 drive "Boot Error"

Hi all Now that I made my cable I've got the next issue: One of the floppy drives I'm restoring does everything these drives do, but only results in continuous "BOOT ERROR" when trying to boot a DOS disk. I checked and did everything one would usually do on a vintage floppy drive these days...
  2. P

SIO cables DIY - which lines are really required?

Hi all I need one of these, they're too expensive for my tastes (30€+ shipped..) and it appears there are enough DIY projects out there to attempt to make one myself. Specs, schematics: https://3d.odkaznik.cz/sio-m Connector: https://github.com/schlae/atari-sio?tab=readme-ov-file In my scrap...
  3. P

1541C drive stuck at loading

Hi all I've got a 1541C here. While I am familiar with the older models I have trouble finding the schematics for this one. My board revision is 251854 REV A, it's the one that is half-size the drive and has a hybrid IC. The heads measure ok therefore I want to try to repair the board...
  4. P

Microtech R45 Cartridge System

Hello While thrifting, I found a box of floppies. One contained Macintosh software for a Microtech International cartridge drive. The only information I could find was this listing: https://www.shopping.ebay.com/item.html?offer=true&id=v1-266449308269-0&provider=0 What the heck is R45...
  5. P

NeXTStation TurboColor PSU and floppy drive maintenance advice

Hi all I've got one of these slabs where I've already replaced the caps (the sound box included), PRAM battery (the old one still had 2.8V left after 20 years!) and a seized fan. I wanted to ask for some advice regarding the PSU as I feel its impending doom in my guts. Are there any modern...
  6. P

Western Europe For sale: Mystery 5.25" hard drive caddy

Hi all I want to get rid of this hard drive caddy which came with an NEC MFM drive I got a while ago. As it is the case with HDD caddies it's missing in someone's system, though I have no idea which one. Anyone has an idea where this belongs to? Thanks
  7. P

Triumph Adler DRH80

Hi all Bundled with my recent Alphatronic P2 haul (see here) was a serial dot matrix printer from Adler model number DRH 80 GAD 201. I took it apart, replaced the line filter, cleaned and lubed all relevant moving parts (I also made a copy of the EPROM). Unfortunately, I can't find any...
  8. P

Alphatronic P2 restoration

Hi all I came across an Alphatronic P2 and thought it would be interesting to have a CP/M machine in my collection. Does anyone have any experience with these? There's a potentially explosive line filter inside and I ordered a replacement to entirely bypass it (mouser no. 631-FN2010-1/06)...
  9. P

Western Europe WTB: Bulk degausser for tapes, floppies, hard disks etc., 230VAC powered

Hi all I'm looking for a bulk tape eraser for erasing an amount tapes, floppies and IDE hard disks for which I'm too busy for to erase them all by hand. I could dispose of it safely but that would be a waste of functioning magnetic media (can you see my dilemma). There's a few of those...
  10. P

NeXT 400dpi laser printer restoration

Hi all I realise that printers are boring, but I wanted to give this one a go as in the end, having a laser printer for bulk b&w printing wouldn't be a bad thing to have. The problem with the printer is that it doesn't budge when the PC sends a document to the printer queue. Sometimes there's...
  11. P

Artist Robert Henke and his CBM 8032 AV performance

Hey all I just learned of Robert Henke and his peers using networked CBM 8032 for audiovisual performances: The website goes into the technical details how they connected and programmed everything: https://roberthenke.com/technology/inside8032av.html So cool :) I need to visit one of these...
  12. P

Refurbishing an EDSYN hot air station - worth it?

Hi all I was generously given an SMD rework station from EDSYN consisting of a base station PS540 and hot air gun "LONER" model 920 CL1380. Now, it comes with strings attached: It's missing the tip and the calibration sticker says year of '89. A quick test revealed that when turning on the...
  13. P

NeXT color monitor N4006 PSU shuts off immediately after power on

Hi community I couldn't say to no to a NeXT computer (the slab, not the cube) complete with accessories, "working the last time it was used". While the computer's only problem seems to be a seized fan, the monitor turns out to be more problematic than I initially thought. The monitor in...
  14. P

Drivers needed for Compaq and Mitsubishi external floppy drives

Hey all I have two different external floppy drives and I can't find drivers for these: - Compaq Series 2833 FCC-ID DLDMD3661P1, PCMCIA nothing useful for this one... - Mitsubishi MF355H-332MR, parallel port the only meaningful thread is here...
  15. P

ZX Spectrum repair, keyboard not working

Hi all I came across a ZX Spectrum and as I have never used a British microcomputer I wanted to try it out (the history of early homecomputers in Britain is vastly different than the rest of Europe / the world). The computer had a voltage regulator that fell off when I removed the heatsink...
  16. P

Someone's modified 1541

Hi all I have received a 1541 Newtronics floppy drive, found in a pile of other garbage. It appears to have a switch for the device number, a segment display and another (very mangled) switch with 0/1 written on it, possibly a drive number? If it's one of those mechanisms where the heads go...
  17. P

Commodore 8050 floppy squeaking when accessing disks

Hi all On my CBM 8050 floppy drive, d0 started to squeak when a disk is accessed. I narrowed it down to the felt pads pressing the disk on the heads, as it doesn't happen then I remove the disk and move any of the other components manually (stepper, spindle hub and spindle). Any idea what I...
  18. P

My CBM 8032 is sick again... visible raster scan on CRT

Hi community As the title says, my PET is sick again (my vintage electronic stuff seems to break down faster than I can fix it). Of course this happened when I wanted to show it off to visitors... Before I poke around I thought I'd ask for some tips where to look? It still chirps on start up...
  19. P

Fixing up a Hitachi V-509 Oscilloscope

Hi community After @Hugo Holden had convincing arguments to get one of these scopes and one near me showed up (reasonably priced, plus they're quite rare around here) I decided to try my luck and buy it, under the condition that it shows a trace when turned on. Now, it is pretty banged up, was...
  20. P

MiniScribe 8438 flashing error code

Hi all I have an XT clone with a Transteque HC-101 A1 controller card and a MiniScribe 8438 hard disk. It was working fine a few weeks ago but now it spins up and a moment later down again, then flashes an error code: https://streamable.com/ox8o7v...
Back