• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. O

"Windows Updated Restored"

The site seems to be working on my Windows 95B machine, and I was able to download some updates for my NT 4.0 Server system as well. I haven't tested it with my various other OSes yet, but I'm really liking it so far. Various updates did complain on my NT 4 Server that they weren't appropriate...
  2. O

Windows 95 retail upgrade automated installer

AUTO95.EXE is a simple program I wrote to streamline the Windows 3.1x to Windows 95 retail upgrade process. The application will scan your removable and networked drives, as well as the current working directory for the Windows 95 source files, then copy them to \CABS95 under your Windows...
  3. O

PPGA vs FCPGA ... a bit confusing

I thought it was the other way around: PPGA had the core facing downward and FCPGA (literally an acronym for "flip chip pin grid array" with the core being "flipped" over) with the core facing upward to allow for better heat transfer with the CPU heat sink & fan assembly.
  4. O

Recommendations on ISA SVGA card?

I'm happy with my ATi Mach64-based ISA card. It performs well enough for some really old DOS games like One Must Fall: 2097 and DOOM, but I'm using an Am5x86 133MHz chip. It may not be the speediest, but it is far better than the onboard OAK VGA that the system has.
  5. O

How to obtain selected radio button from resource script dialog box

I was able to figure out how to get the state of the radio buttons by using SendDlgItemMessage() like so: BOOL CALLBACK MainDlgProc( HWND hDlg, UINT Message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam ) { switch( Message ) { case WM_INITDIALOG: return TRUE; case WM_COMMAND...
  6. O

I had an 'OK' Command Button in the dialog box to be clicked after selecting the radio button but I still couldn't figure out a way to determine which radio button was selected after pressing OK. I guess that's the part I'm struggling with.
  7. O

I gave that a try and only the same behavior resulted: only the restore radio button worked as before. I also added a break statement per your suggestion but that didn't do anything. This at least tells me that whatever wParam is returning, it is equal to IDB_RESTORE and never equal to...
  8. O

No, I simply missed that when retyping it. Thanks for pointing that out though! I edited my original post to fix it.
  9. O

I'm trying to write a "wizard" in Windows 3.1 in C. I've created the three dialog boxes using the Resource Script Editor to create a main menu dialog, a backup menu dialog, and a restore menu dialog. From the main menu dialog the user should select either the Backup radio button or the Restore...
  10. O

Accessing VRAM in tiny model .com program for MSDOS

A more experienced coder may be able to give you a better answer, but as I understand it, the tiny model defaults to near access for pointers. I don't know if the tiny model allows for access outside it's 64K limitation since it doesn't contain relocation data, but you would have to explicitly...
  11. O

How did you get started into Computers (More than a casual user..)

Sadly, I didn't have the confidence to advance my education until my early 40s. Ever since taking a few coding classes in college, I've been bitten by the programming bug to return to my original idea of writing a suite of utilities for DOS and Windows 3.1x - which is the passion project I'm...
  12. O

Can somebody please explain how DOS memory allocation works?

Sorry for the necro-post, but I see you mentioned you're using C++ "new" to allocate memory space as needed, but are you using the "delete" operator when you're finished with said memory allocation? If not, the memory remains on the heap and doesn't get removed, and heap memory isn't cleared...
  13. O

How did you get started into Computers (More than a casual user..)

My foray into computers was a long and often frustrating one. My first interaction with a computer was with an Apple in school. We were to do a bunch of calculations on a sheet of paper, then program the results into the application running to move the triangle (they referred to it as the...
  14. O

Why do you do this? (retro-coding)

I like coding for DOS & Windows 3.1x because that is my favorite era of computing and I enjoy the challenge of writing programs from this timeframe. I'm also hoping that I'll eventually write something very useful that the entire retro-community appreciates. Lastly, I'm also hoping that, since...
  15. O

Programming on vintage computers?

I'm currently writing a set of DOS & Windows 3.1x utilities in C/C++, and I program on a custom built Socket 4 Pentium w/Pentium OverDrive 133MHz CPU in use, 128MB of RAM, 3GB IDE hdd, running Windows NT Workstation 3.51. I originally tried programming in Windows 3.11 but the limited system...
  16. O

Norton Utilities 6 vs 7 vs 8

I don't have a copy of 7 so I can't speak to that, but I do have 6 and 8. I can confirm that 6 has NDOS (4DOS), but 8 has some utilities that 6 doesn't such as DISKREET disk encryption, Norton Disk Doctor and Speedisk have hdd disk compression compatibility build-in, and single-pass DUPDISK (or...
  17. O

your largest application

My largest program is a few hundred lines of code written in C# as a GUI front-end for labeling software. Not as cool or impressive as some of the others, but meh, that's my contribution.
  18. O

What are you guys using for retroprogramming?

I'm new to programming in general and I'm having fun programming for real mode DOS. I have Microsoft Visual C++ 1.52, Symantec Visual C++ 7.52, Borland C++ 5.02, and Digital Mars C++ 8.57. I'm trying to find which one works best for my needs as I write a set of utilities which seems daunting...
Back