• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. C

S-100 Manuals

Someone is *always* going to be interested -- even if not now, definitely later. I am very grateful for those who have put up manuals and information before I went looking for it, then found exactly what I was looking for - :)
  2. C

Kaypro 2 - Both Floppies active, no display

You can always run an old computer from a modern switch mode PSU, though if something is shorted, smoke will ensue. Usually a computer only requires 5v to operate to screen, so I use a lab supply and dial the current back to around 1A to test, and if I don't see 5V on the chips, I might lift...
  3. C

Just a 'simple' Assembler for CP/M 3.....

It was when you were talking about a simple assembler idea some time ago to just write a com file... Back when you were making your serial card... It made sense what you said to have a very simple assembler that could just write a COM. And you probably remember talking about assembling for...
  4. C

Just a 'simple' Assembler for CP/M 3.....

Hi Myke, You're welcome to give my assembler a try if it interests you at all. it currently exists as a cross-assembler and a native z80 assembler, so it can run native under Windows 10/11 in the command line, or under CP/M on a z80 system. I'm still writing the z80 part to add includes and...
  5. C

ed tutorial

I will likely end up writing a small editor when I finish the assembler, though I've often wondered what data structures are optimal for editing large text files directly from disk, especially when inserting text mid-document. A non-linear structure when using memory is fine, and allows for...
  6. C

ed tutorial

Yes, Wordstar can edit text as well as documents. It is decided when you open the file what mode you want to edit it in.
  7. C

ed tutorial

Manuals were hard to come by in the early years. They were something people bought with new computers, and were missing from cheaper second-hand sales of said computer, lost or misplaced or the owner didn't really care. Maybe discarded. When I did get a manual, it was like having gold in my...
  8. C

ed tutorial

What bothers me about using ed is that there is nothing like a help overlay. Wordstar at least had this, so when I haven't used a function recently, I can find it quickly and I know what I need to do to find it. Memory is limited to bringing up the help menu. And as I use it more, I remember...
  9. C

Make your own retro case

I will 3D print my first housing later this year, but all electronics will be custom around an ISA slot backplane. I don't have sheet metal bending material, but I do have a small CNC (6030) and a lathe and way more 3D printers than any sane person should have, so building a case is...
  10. C

What was the excitement of your first PC?

I know this is different for everyone, but when you got your first PC, what motivated you to learn how to use it? And was it autodidactic, or were you already trained in information technology? For me, it was the future - the only part of the future I could touch and be involved with. I could...
  11. C

Moving files around.

It's a pre-ESDI dual cable.... (separate data and control cables)
  12. C

Osborne ScreenPAC install.

I thought the detailed step-by-step instructions on how to install a ScreenPAC and solder in each of the wires was pretty amazing to document in a video like this. Keep in mind, this was from an era where the pause button on a video recorder was pretty poor... So using this for step by step...
  13. C

Moving files around.

I note this is all very recent. Is there a website associated with this card's development? David
  14. C

Moving files around.

I tried running network under DOS, but couldn't get TCP/IP running at all, and none of the machines I have could see it under MS network, though that could be either because I didn't set it up right, or because windows10 has a user identity fetish so that Microsoft can more accurately sell your...
  15. C

Osborne ScreenPAC install.

This is what the Internet looked like before the Internet existed.
  16. C

Moving files around.

For me, it's a 2Mb machine, so I tried an 8 bit card, but WFW doesn't like 2Mb of memory and won't run up far enough to connect the network and run windows. Otherwise that would have been my plan. Then I realized I am very unlikely to find a larger computer since even a 386sx/2Mb has huge specs...
  17. C

Moving files around.

I liked the suggestion also and got one... Not sure what they going rate is, but cost around AU$41 or around US$30. They look like this; (google CH375 ISA USB )
  18. C

Another ebay horror story.

Seller was really good and made a very fast refund and apology and didn't even try to blame the courier. In this case the seller came from a country where they probably take good care of parcels and ship them carefully so likely little more than a dust cover is needed there. But the shipping...
  19. C

:( You can see that it's just two layes of brown paper, not actual card, and not ripple card - very lightweight wrapping.... And the drive latches and impressed into the card showing how much force they were under... It takes a lot of force to crack a piece of plastic like this. It's also in...
  20. C

So I get a nice computer arrive, good price, two 360K disk drives installed... Nice ! I'm looking forward to this even if the computer is broken and can't be repaired. Then it arrives and I look. It's like somene wrapped it in plain thin card and a single layer of bubble wrap... As I peel it...
Back